It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bluffer's Guide: Iranian Naval Power 2007

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by planeman

Daedalus3, the problem that the Iranian's face is that the gulf is too shallow to hide a Kilo (and apparently contrary to widespread opinion not imprervious to sonar), whilst the Gulf Of Oman and Indian Ocean rapidly become so deep that they aren't ideal 'littorial' hiding places either. So Iran is hard pressed to find perfect Kilo hunting grounds, especially if they are looking for big-name Western Navies. The Kilos are excellent but math is against them.

No hard proof on Klub. Personally I doubt it, and I don' think C-802 is such a stretch for Kilos either.

Nothing is impervious to sonar, agreed, bu the kilos are one of the quietest SSKs in service. Having said that, the Iranians have the 'noisier' version : the 877EKM.

About optimal operating depths. hmmm..
I'm going to do a bit of reading on that

posted on May, 5 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I meant that the gulf isn't a sonar blackspot as many assume - putting a Kilo in the gulf or straits of hummus (lol!) is going to make it invisible.

Kilos are great boats, a huge capability leap for Iran, but not invisible.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Spring 2008 update.

Iran has continued expanding its naval power, particularly the large fleet of small boats operated by the IIRG.

Main developments.

1. The number of Ghadir class boats is confirmed as a minimum of 3, with my estimate at 5. The fleet is likely to expand and ultimately poses a credible threat.

2. Iran has probably exported IPS-18 Tir torpedo boats to Syria (in 2006?) - this points to local production, and thus raises the force estimate beyond 10 originally delivered.

3. Iran has a new version of the IPS-16 Peykaap with numerous modifications but most noticeably has two Kowsar light anti-ship missiles. At least 6 production and 1 prototype are in service. (IPS-16 below)

Prototype:

Production:

4. Recently released video of the Mowj changes the estimated weapons fit and confirms that the models are wrong. No CIWS over bridge. Two crewed 20mm AAA in front of bridge. Rear of ship still not viewed. Overall the ship is worse armed than estimates

5. A minor correction on the Sina missile boats - rear AAA position is single crewed 20mm not the 40mm of previous estimates

6. There is probably another, as-yet unphotographed in Iranian service, type with twin torpedoes and twin Kowsar similar to the China Cat but on a monohull. Prototype seen in China for several years.

7. revised force estimate (ignores logistics and Boghammars)

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by planeman
Unbiased but honest review of anti-ship threat. Artwork by me.

[edit on 1-5-2007 by planeman]

Why does all this artwork come from www.defence.pk? Are you saying you made this artwork and also provide it for this Pakistan Military website? Did they steal your pictures?

www.defence.pk

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by planeman

Why did you copy and paste all this stuff from another website planeman? Mods please check the link above, all the pictures and info provided by planeman comes from another website.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by jojoKnowsBest]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jojoKnowsBest

Why did you copy and paste all this stuff from another website planeman? Mods please check the link above, all the pictures and info provided by planeman comes from another website.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by jojoKnowsBest]
Are you a few sandwiches short of a picnic?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Did you look at the link planman? It look likes you used a lot of content from that website.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

linkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

02-23-2008, 08:10 PM #1 (permalink)
HAIDER
SENIOR MEMBERS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LARGER WARSHIPS (CORVETTES etc)
Units
1 x Mowj Class, Iranian Navy, Iranian built
3 x Alvand Class, Iranian Navy, British built.
1x Hamzeh Class, Iranian Navy, Dutch built
2 x Bayandor Class, Iranian Navy, US built (gun armed, not illustrated)
Alvand Class Corvette

Moudge Class Corvette

Quantity: 1
Displacement: 1,400 tons
Dimensions: L 94m, W 10m, Dr 3.25m (Actual dimensions may be almost exactly as per Alvand)
Crew: ??? (est 100+)
Speed: 28kt
Powerplant: 2 x 10,000hp diesels
Armament: 4 x C-802 “Noor” anti-ship missiles, 1 x 76mm Gun, 1 CIWS (20mm, indigenous?), 1 x dual AAA (35mm?), 2 x triple 12.7mm lightweight torpedoes
Helicopters: Landing pad only
Also commonly spelt Mowj and Mowaj, this indigenous corvette is essentially a reverse engineered Vosper Mk 5 (Alvand Class, see above). It has several Iranian adaptations, most significantly a purely diesel power pack which results in a significant drop in performance.
Another conspicuous difference is the addition of a helipad on the aft deck, requiring a repositioning of the anti-ship missiles to amidships. Above the bridge is what appears to be a CIWS similar to the US 20mm Phalanx. However at the rear of the ship the AAA appears to be a twin turret, possibly manned 35mm as on the Alvand class. The main gun is a reverse engineered OTO Melara 76mm automatic, an excellent general purpose medium gun albeit somewhat behind the current OTO Melara versions.
Unlike most contemporary corvettes, the Moudge does not feature a radar signature reducing hull form. In all fairness the air defences appear to be a significant improvement over the Alvands, but still someway short of the current norm for warships this size.
The Moudge does not appear to have an ASW sonar.

Hamzeh Corvette

Quantity: 1
Displacement: 580 tons
Dimensions: L 52m, W 7.65m, Dr 3.25m
Crew: ??
Speed: 15kt
Powerplant: 2 x 1,300hp diesels
Armament: 4 x C-802 “Noor” anti-ship missiles, 1 x main gun (20mm?), 2 x 12.7mm manned heavy machine guns
Originally the Government Yacht, the Hamzeh has been modified to carry C-802 anti-ship missiles and light defences. Main role probably remains training. The boat operates in the Caspian Sea alongside the SINA missile boats. Confusingly the first widespread pictures of her post-refit where accompanying an Iranian press article announcing the entry into service of the SINA type “corvette” Joshan, causing some confusion as to this boat’s identity. The pennant number appears to have changed also.
Despite a popular press photo showing an AB-212 helicopter, the Hamzeh does

defence.pk

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Please keep on topic any issues are being dealt with by the staff.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by jojoKnowsBest

did YOU look at the date of the original post using those pictures? i would quite clearly say the post on your link stole them from planeman.

date on planeman`s post is 1 YEAR ago , post on defence.pk is 7 DAYS ago.

so therefore there is a copywrite issue - and defence.pk needs to address that very quickly.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Then planemane should also take it up with Sea Classics Magazine because in my April 2008 issue, they apparently are using one of planemans drawings of a fast attack craft.

[edit on 1-3-2008 by jojoKnowsBest]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

This is another blog from 12-5-07. all the same content. If this is planemane's intellectual property he should take it up with this site as well.

Hi guys, I have some more info stored away in my comp, like to share, Credit to Iran Military Forum.com

militaryphotos.net

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
On Topic Please

As mentioned by UKWizard the staff is aware of the issue.

Feel free to comment if you would like to discuss the topic:

Iranian Naval Power 2007

Further off topic posts are subject to staff action.

Thank You,

JacKatMtn
ATS Member & Forum Moderator

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I hope that this isn't viewed as off-topic but I'd like to clarify some things.

I drew those illustrations, anyone who has followed my posting history here and on other forums will know that.

I don't claim copyright (because I could never enforce it anyway) and I am pleased that my illustrations have now appeared in at least two military magazines - but bear in mind that neither this publication nor as previous Japanese one has ever contacted me to ask permission to reprint.

Having said that, it is a pity that people reproduce my 'Bluffer's Guides' posts on other forums representing it as their own, or at best not giving credit to the author/illustrator.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
i would suggest imprinting your name on the picture , transparantly in sans serif font size 30 would be useful

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I was recently reading about the purchase of these 10 Fast Attack craft by Iran from China in my “Sea Classics” magazine. I thought the illustration was pretty cool, and I ended up writing my own thread about the Fast Attack Craft, and that’s how I found all those other illustrations on another website.

Sorry to hear those other sites were using your pictures and info without credit. Plagiarism makes me very mad, so take my defensiveness of your intellectual property as a compliment; I just directed my discontent at the wrong person. Just think how it looks from my perspective when I see the same illustration in a magazine I read a week ago on ATS, with the OP claiming it as his own artwork.

I’m a huge fan of naval vessels and I love illustration and specs like this, based on the popularity of your artwork maybe you can make some money at it, if you’re not already.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join