It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia sees moon plot in Nasa plans

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I would like to trust in the people who have taken power to supply us with totally free energy, but it just does not seem like a reality, at least not now. Dennis Hope is the name of the guy who has been making some millions, selling real estate on the moon and all the planets in the solar system.

Mr Hope exploited a loophole in the 1967 UN Outer Space Treaty and he has been claiming ownership of the Earth's Moon - and seven planets and their moons - for more than 20 years.

Making a mint out of the moon

I think this is the loop hole.

The legal issues concerning ownership of extra-terrestrial real estate are still extremely vague. One of the underlying issues is whether private ownership of such property is recognized or not. It is generally accepted[attribution needed] that, as stated by the United Nations "Outer Space Treaty", space is the "domain of all mankind", and can no longer be claimed by any governments. It omits mentioning private individuals.

Legal experts agree that private ownership of the Moon is not explicitly forbidden in the Outer Space Treaty of 1967 which states that only governments are not allowed to own lunar or celestial property. [2] The Outer Space Treaty has been currently ratified by 98 countries including all space faring nations.

Extraterrestrial real estate

I wonder. If the loop hole has ground to stand on, and all those people who have acquired land from Dennis Hope actually own the land, wouldn't any minerals and resources extracted form any given location on the moon be property of that person? Including the one sought after the governments?

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I doubt very much that Hope has any territorial claim beyond his own perceptions.

I would also love to see him enforce this loophole to any government.

It has been well established here on ATS, that there exists a breed of people who get 'sucked in' to ludicrous notions, that are created in the minds of individuals who have convinced themselves that their notion is proven, and valid. For further sources, see: IRAQ 200x

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Not to mention that there are several other groups who claim to be able
to do the same thing and sell land.

Even if it was allowed, you'd end up having a lot of conflicting land claims,
as company A sold 100 acres to someone, and company B sells 200 acres
to someone else, of which 50 acres of those overlap on each claim.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
They aren't planning on selling it back to us at exorbitant rates. They have already said they plan on using the H3 as ISRU (insitu resource utilization). This translates to, they ain't shipping any of it back here.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
In situ resource utilization is one of the purposes but I think they will be transporting some of that Helium 3 back to earth.

Plans are already afoot in the US and Russia to strip-mine lunar helium 3 and transport it the 240,000 miles (385,000km) back to Earth.

The Moon, claims Professor Jerry Kulcinski of the University of Wisconsin-Madison, could become the Persian Gulf of the 21st Century.

It is from the article I provided above. This is from the same. Seems it is worthwhile to bring back!

"If we had gold bricks stacked up on the surface of the Moon, we couldn't afford to bring them back. This material - at several billion dollars a tonne - is what makes it all worthwhile."

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   
"and even end the threat of global warming."

Give me a break lol.

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
And furthermore we have had fusion power already for several decades. Its just the old families that still have mineral claims, especially coal, on land that has been mined by their generations, this voting constituent power base and the corporate special interest that will keep fusion out of our hands for the next two hundred years.

Until someone else comes along and shows them where the profit is, nothing will change.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join