It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fish and 'The Pill'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Fish and 'The Pill'

An estimated 12 million doses of 'the pill' are taken by American women each day. A good portion of the chemicals in 'the pill' naturally finds it's way into the sewer system. The surprise here is that the waste treatment facilities are unable to process many of the chemicals out. Estrogen says in the 'reclaimed' water and enters rivers and waterways all across the country.

Same thing happens with the urine from women who are on hormone replacement therapy.

The fish have been suffering because of this.

Males are changed so that they are indistinguishable from females. There are eggs in male gonads as well as males that are secreting a yolk sac protein.

[edit on 5/1/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
There was an urban legend in the eighties that men were growing breasts in London due to water recycling.
Seriously though, it seems probable, but the original story is from the California Catholic Daily. And boy Catholics love to bash birth control..
Anyone seen similar reports elsewhere?

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
As an avid flyfisherman, guide and outfitter, I have seen some very funky fish in my 20+ year career. I think pollution in general is the culprit but here is an article in reference to the pill pollution.

eco-chick.com...

If you Google, you can find many others.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by dissembler
Anyone seen similar reports elsewhere?

Scientific American - April 17, 2007

Breast Cancer cells found in fish, etc etc
Excellent article. I HIGHLY recommend everyone read it!

(especially ya'll who fish in fresh water places in the N.E.)

[edit on 5/1/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
[Males are changed so that they are indistinguishable from females. There are eggs in male gonads as well as males that are secreting a yolk sac protein.

There are numerous people who like fishing, and of course many people will be consuming their fishes. It will affect their whole family.

So..
It will need a nationawide study to divide the safe waters from the waters that are affected.
In the mean time fishing in fresh water, especially consuming fresh water and fresh water fishes should be put on a hold.
Finally an enhancement on the current water purification system should take place.

But who is going step forward to solve such a vital issue. Well it is vital, but people usually don't care about water unless they can find a problem with the taste, color or smell.
Are there any possible government agencies? The Waterworks Bureau?
I hope they don't wait until hermaphrodite babies appear on the news.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Even in some remote streams, high in the Rocky Mt. west, I promote catch and release, not only because it keeps the fisheries viable but even at 9k feet in elevation, there is reason not to keep and eat fish, because of pollution.

I haven't eaten fresh trout in over 10 years. I still eat sea food, but I even wonder about how pollution must be affecting the salt water.

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It's not just the fish who are being affected.
Whatver (or whoever) is drinking these waters contaminated with chenical run-off are being affected.

dir.salon.com...
chemicals in water supply
www.wcp.net...
www.valleyvoicenewspaper.com...
ag.arizona.edu...

new topics

top topics

join