It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Officials: At Least 32 Dead After Virginia Tech University Shooting

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
John Brunner in his sci fi masterpiece "Stand on Zanzibar" (I highly recommend it, and its lesser sequel..."The Sheep Look Up") coined a phrase for the type of people who do these things as muckers and suggested that part of their mental illness (for what sane person would do these things?) was from the pressure of modern times.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
student on FNC said the univ informed student s by email of the early shooting but that he was going to his normal classes when the second shooting occurred.

FNC gunman used two 9mm pistols, if there is only one shooter, why were the students still in class when another homicide was being investigated on the same day on the same campus?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
New little bits are that he was looking for his EX girlfriend and her new boyfriend,

(Remember to flag thread)

[edit on 16-4-2007 by asala]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums

BLACKSBURG, Va., April 16, 2007
Here are some of the facts we know:

At about 7:15 a.m. this morning a 911 call came to the University Police Department concerning an event in West Ambler Johnston Hall. There were multiple shooting victims. While in the process of investigating, about two hours later the university received reports of a shooting in Norris Hall. The police immediately responded.........

2 hours, and no lock down? just an Email

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
student on FNC said the univ informed student s by email of the early shooting but that he was going to his normal classes when the second shooting occurred.

FNC gunman used two 9mm pistols, if there is only one shooter, why were the students still in class when another homicide was being investigated on the same day on the same campus?

Good point, could they have wanted to keep it quiet? someone needs to get a copy of that warning email and fast. to me it sounds like they realized the enormity of the original event and wanted to keep it private, sounds like a cover up

[edit on 16-4-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I responded on another thread, but it is a repeat of this one so i will repost here what I posted there.

It appears to have been planned and there were at least two or more people involved since the killings happened in two separate dormitories at the same time. Maybe the same person went into two separate buildings, but this would have given people enough time to leave if it was the same person going through two different dormitories.

I wonder what was the motive....

The extend of the killings points to this being a hate crime of some sort.

Also the lockdown of the school is telling me that authorities think there might be at least one other shooter on the loose maybe they are trying to find some buddy/buddies of the shooter/shooters... Someone that would be considered a suspect, maybe because they were good pals with the shooters, or some other reason, but it appears possible the police thinks there could be at least one more shooter.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Thats what I don't understand about the United States, you can still keep "the right to bear arms", but restrictions should be put in place to protect certain people.

Not even your your regular police have guns and that tends to get them killed when confronting someone with a gun.

There are restrictions in U.S. schools but because there is a black market in the U.S. almost anyone can have an illegal firearm.

There is no way to control illegal firearms.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
New little bits are that he was looking for his EX girlfriend and her new boyfriend,

Why shoot 42 people and kill 22 if the shooter was only looking for his ex girlfriend and new boyfriend?

The shooter could have kept hidden his weapons until he found his ex-girlfriend and new boyfriend.

That does not sound right.

This appears to have been a hate crime but I could be wrong.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocGonzo
What the hell is going on these days?? Why can't these psychos just shoot themselves to begin with and save everyone else the heartache? I don't believe for a second that it's a "criminal mentality" either.There is something deeper here.....it's a sign of the times.I seriously doubt it has anything to do with video games,music,movies,gun laws or any of the other usual excuses made for urban mass murder these days.This sort of thing never happened on this scale before the past ten years or so......why now?? Until we figure that out....and it's not a simple thing to figure out...these senseless incidents will just continue to instill fear and distrust in all of us,until all us young people are afraid to trust our friends and classmates,and decide to skip college altogether rather than become another statistic.

This is shocking to say the least,and the way the media gleefully refers to this as the "Biggest school shooting in U.S. history" every five minutes just disgusts me.My thoughts are with the victims,an their families.

What the hell is going on? Don't you see it? This is the result of your laws my friend. It's ignorant to say that it has nothing to do with games, music, movies or gun laws. Of course it has everything to do with that! People are not more crazy than before, we have the mass media such as games, music, movies, internet and TV which perfectly shows and teach us how to commit a crime like this. In the past we didn't had that. And above that you have your guns and gun laws that allows these things to happen. Figure it out!

This is a SAD day!

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Does anyone know what official reports are given out? Every news channel says something different.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Foxnews is reporting 32 dead at this time. 2:16PM Eastern.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Students on campus have said that to get in the campus you have to have an eletronic ID tag.

Theres a police station on campus..

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by rai76

What the hell is going on these days?? Why can't these psychos just shoot themselves to begin with and save everyone else the heartache? I don't believe for a second that it's a "criminal mentality" either.There is something deeper here.....it's a sign of the times.I seriously doubt it has anything to do with video games,music,movies,gun laws or any of the other usual excuses made for urban mass murder these days.This sort of thing never happened on this scale before the past ten years or so......why now?? Until we figure that out....and it's not a simple thing to figure out...these senseless incidents will just continue to instill fear and distrust in all of us,until all us young people are afraid to trust our friends and classmates,and decide to skip college altogether rather than become another statistic.

This is shocking to say the least,and the way the media gleefully refers to this as the "Biggest school shooting in U.S. history" every five minutes just disgusts me.My thoughts are with the victims,an their families.

What the hell is going on? Don't you see it? This is the result of your laws my friend. It's ignorant to say that it has nothing to do with games, music, movies or gun laws. Of course it has everything to do with that! People are not more crazy than before, we have the mass media such as games, music, movies, internet and TV which perfectly shows and teach us how to commit a crime like this. In the past we didn't had that. And above that you have your guns and gun laws that allows these things to happen. Figure it out!

This is a SAD day!

No way,I don't buy it.Millions watch,play and see the same things these people do without going off the deep end.I've enjoyed violent games like GTA,but in real life,I can barely bring myself to kill a bug.Explain that.
I believe it is like someone said earlier,which was the original purpose of my post in the first place.I think it has to be the pressure,and chaos of the times we live in.It's like we're all spinning out of control faster and faster as each year goes by.Just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Coming up to 2pm I think,

not sure.

Yes, they are on Eastern time, which would be 2:19 now.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
FNC phone interview with VaTech Jr D. Jenkins:

He described the scene as the gunman chained the exit doors and started going classroom to classroom shooting whatever moved. In one class he hears that the gunman shot and killed numerous people then laid down next to the victims and pretended to be on of the victims, I don't know if this is true as the story is so fluid at the moment but that is from one of the students.

FNC reporter said in the emails sent to students they were warned to stay away from the (1st killing location), due to an unfortunate incident.

I would say that a murder shouldn't be classified like this.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
MSNBC says there is unconfirmed report that the gunman CHAINED THE DOORS of Norris Hall where the majority of this mornings shootings took place, so that no one would be able to escape.

This is unconfirmed but if you think about it... this guy is pure evil.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

This is a SAD day!

No way,I don't buy it.Millions watch,play and see the same things these people do without going off the deep end.I've enjoyed violent games like GTA,but in real life,I can barely bring myself to kill a bug.Explain that.
I believe it is like someone said earlier,which was the original purpose of my post in the first place.I think it has to be the pressure,and chaos of the times we live in.It's like we're all spinning out of control faster and faster as each year goes by.Just my opinion.

I agree.

Its far, FAR too soon to be blaming gun control laws or whatever. For all we know, this guy has a criminal history and shouldn't have even been on the street.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   

What the hell is going on? Don't you see it? This is the result of your laws my friend. It's ignorant to say that it has nothing to do with games, music, movies or gun laws.
And above that you have your guns and gun laws that allows these things to happen. Figure it out!

This is a SAD day!

Guns are tools... anyone with the "messed up mentality" of being able to kill people at random can find "other tools for mass killings"...

Don't use this for your own "political/social ideas about gun control"...

There have been enough crimes being committed when entire nations didn't have the means to fight back with "guns"...

Mahatma Ghandi once said: "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."....

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
FNC reporter said in the emails sent to students they were warned to stay away from the (1st killing location), due to an unfortunate incident.

I would say that a murder shouldn't be classified like this.

But at the time had the person died? What did they know about the first shooting when this email was sent? It could have been right after it happened, and they just reacted thinking it might have been an accidental shooting.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Asala,

I just posted a thread for non-related issues to the situation, but related to guns, rights, etc...., so people won't debate on this thread.

A New Thread for Discussing Guns and Rights.

I know this is emotional, but I agree with some comments being made on sticking to the issue and tragedy.

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
CNN just said it was 31 deaths, so I don't know who to believe. How ever many it's still tragic.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join