It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asian Horror Films

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Jonna your last post has confused the # ouuta me i thought this thread was about Japanese horror films not sci fi films.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
Jonna your last post has confused the # ouuta me i thought this thread was about Japanese horror films not sci fi films.

It was just a Japanese film that I thought was worth mentioning and did not want to start another thread. Scifi and horror kind of overlap for me with a lot of films.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
im afteer a new chun yow fat film thats got released ove here in the uk forgot its name i know its in a yellow box with him on the front left or right side of it.

Alos tikeshi kitano has new film out aswell looks good

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SE7EN
im afteer a new chun yow fat film thats got released ove here in the uk forgot its name i know its in a yellow box with him on the front left or right side of it.

Alos tikeshi kitano has new film out aswell looks good

Not really enough for me to figure it out, but you might want to check out Amazons list of movies staring him.

www.amazon.com...=br_bx_c_2_10/104-7597857-5259963

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
i have its name in my bedroom but its amongst a stack of total film, empire, dvd review,magazines from floor to celling and to lazy to move them to look lol

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Another movie weekend for me.

Suicide Club
Groups of teenagers begin killing themselves all over Japan because of a pop group and detectives investigate. This actually turned into more of a black comedy then expected. The humor factor is more of a reason to see this film then anything else. I would say that it was a good film over all expect for the fact that the last 5 minuites confused the hell out of me and it never really explained why the pop group wanted to kill their fan base.

The Grudge
If Quinton Tarantino made a ghost film this would be it. The story was divided up in the same was as Resivor Dogs with each character having their own separate segments that came together at the end. A lot of really creepy bits that made my girlfriend jump numerous times. Again the end was a bit confusing, but if you think about it afterwards it does make more sense then most of the Japanese films I saw this weekend. Hollywood is doing a remake of this staring Sarah Michelle Geller and the original Japanese director. Worth seeing if you enjoy creepy ghost films.

Kairo aka Pulse
Another ghost flim that was good for the ending and a few really creepy scenes. Ghosts begin spilling into this dimention from others and end up in rooms that people are sealling of with red tape. When a person sees one of them they go crazy and eventually turn to dust. Some of the individuals that go crazy begin strange live-cam web-sites and that is how the movie begins, with normal people finding them and doing some detective work. A bit confusing as most Japanese 'mood' films, but perhaps that has something to do with cultural differences/translations.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I'd love to see the original 'The Ring' trilogy, but I'm lazy and if it's not at blockbusters then it wont get played on my DVD player

As for the St.Johns Wort you mentioned Drunk...that's actually a very effective anti-depressent herbal tablet...was it that bad? lol

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyCool21
I'd love to see the original 'The Ring' trilogy, but I'm lazy and if it's not at blockbusters then it wont get played on my DVD player

They should have it as most rental places do. It is called RINGU.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Ghost Actress
Why O'why do these Japanese ghost movies keep having more and more endings left unexplained? The biggest part of the problem in this one is that it should have been cut down to at least half of the running time. A film crew is making a new movie and when they watch what they have filmed there are disturbing images which they never filmed on the reel. As it turns out, 19 years ago another crew filmed in the same studio and the main actress died on the set. People begin dieing again.

******Spoilers:*******
If anyone else has seen this please explain it to me. The best that I can figure is that the director of the current movie is the little boy from the old movie. I think this because the old movie is said to have never aired so how would the director had seen it on television as a child. The director was tramatized by the events behind the first film (when playing the child in the old film) and blocked them from his memory, but yet had a vague recollection of the film which he could not account for. He may have even pushed the actress to her death which would explain why the ghost of the actress killed would want revenge against him as an adult.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Vampire Effect

I am not quite sure if this was suppose to be horror or comedy. Think Blade meets a Jackie Chan film (which is not much of a stretch because he is in it). Some decent action sequences with a campy atmosphere at times. Good for a laugh as long as you don't take it too seriously.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
japanese movies with english speaking people translating just doesn't cut it for me. unless they remade the whole movie then it would be different.

Saw Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon -- turned off the tv a few minutes in. After that I have no interest in a japanese films..

and subtitles-- well why not just read the book... There are good movies out there.. for horror movies, theirs "attack of the killer tomatoes," which was a good flick

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer

Saw Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon -- turned off the tv a few minutes in. After that I have no interest in a japanese films..

CTRD is actually a chinese movie.

i highly suggest battle royale and battle royale 2 to anyone who is interested in action/dark drama film. the concept is briliant.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Battle Royale 2 was cool

I liked Brother

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I changed the title of the thread to make it more encompasing.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
St. John's Wart

Know I know what you are thinking: "I have lost all repect for Jonna because he actually rented a movie called St. John's Wart." Well, in my defence Blockbuster was having a $1.99 promotional deal on rentals.....and I was drunk.....a lot!

So if you cut out the first 20 minutes and last 10 minutes of the film it was pretty good. Some college kids are designing a video game when one of them inherit an old mansion. Two of them go check it out to find that someone has been living there.

My problem with the beginning of the film is that most of it is done like an actual video game screen and I would swear that the lobby of the mansion is ripped off directly from the lobby in the first Resident Evil game. As for the end of the movie, a new character was introduced which would have better left unsaid.

Overall, don't waste your money even if it is only $1.99....and you're drunk......a lot.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Overall, don't waste your money even if it is only $1.99....and you're drunk......a lot.

The same could be said of the Chinese flick "The Vampire Hunters." My son rented it, took all of my self restraint not to take a hammer to the DVD player.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
The same could be said of the Chinese flick "The Vampire Hunters." My son rented it, took all of my self restraint not to take a hammer to the DVD player.

Thanks! There is another one that I know not to rent. I have this strange compulsion to see every horror film ever made and sometimes that leads me to places I would have rather not visited. :bnghd:

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Saw 1 the other night called "Into The Mirror" Korean flick quite cool.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I liked the american Ring better, it had better cinematography and the characters showed more emotion.

If you guys want to see asian horror movies, I've heard Dark Water and Ju-on are frightening, both are japanese horror flicks.

www.mandiapple.com...

www.mandiapple.com...

The upcoming asian horror movie I most want to see is R-Point. Its set during the vietnam war, yet, it isn't a war flick at all. Its about a 9 member Korean squad investigating an area named Romeo Point after their HQ received strange distress calls. When the team gets there, they find out that no one is alive, and the people who were calling for help are ghosts (and maybe some zombies).

The reason I want to see this movie so much is because its based on a true story. Which makes things even scarier.

www.rpoint.co.kr...

Don't forget to read Albert's journal, he is an american correspondent with the ROKs at the time.

www.rpoint.co.kr...

edit- I almost forgot. The one asian horror movie you should NEVER NEVER watch is "wishing stairs". That movie was terrible.

[Edited on 24-7-2004 by gooking]

[Edited on 24-7-2004 by gooking]

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Another Heaven

Think the movie Seven if the killer was supernatural. Although a bit drawn out it was a worth while film. If I recall the rental cover correctly, I believe it was directed or written by the same guy as did The Ring/Ringu.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join