It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asian Horror Films

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 10:18 AM
link   
With the high grossing movie 'The Ring', remakes of Japanese films seem to be filtering into American studios. I personally like the originals better and thought that I would share a few gems for those interested.

The Eye: Sort of like the 'Sixth Sense'.

Dead or Alive: This was suppose to be some great movie. Perhaps it is because Blockbuster cuts the hell out of movies now, but it bored the hell out of me.

Junk: Quite good. A sort of early 80's style living dead film.

Versus: I can not say enough great things about this film. It is the Matrix meets Evil Dead 2.

Ike The Killer: Again another film that was hyped up, but Blockbuster must have cut all of the good parts out.

Anyone else into Japanese cinima?

[Edited on 7-7-2004 by Jonna]

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 07:55 PM
link   
itchi the killer good film just waiting on battle royale 2

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 08:59 PM
link   
"Audition" was a fun tale of vengeance.

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The eye is the only japanese film that I've seen , but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd like to check the original "ring " out but I'll have to try and get it when my husband isn't about cause he can't be bothered to read the subtitles.
It would be good if they had a dubbed option on the DVD's but I suppose some people would say that something is lost if you don't hear the original diologue.
thats what I was told about crouching tiger sleeping dragon(or whatever it's called)

posted on Dec, 30 2003 @ 09:18 PM
link   
"Frankenstein takes over the world" - This is a great movie. It doesn't make much sense but hey, it's Japanese.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
The eye is the only japanese film that I've seen , but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd like to check the original "ring " out but I'll have to try and get it when my husband isn't about cause he can't be bothered to read the subtitles.
It would be good if they had a dubbed option on the DVD's but I suppose some people would say that something is lost if you don't hear the original diologue.
thats what I was told about crouching tiger sleeping dragon(or whatever it's called)

From what a friend told me The Ring or Ringu is actually three movies and it is absolutely huge in Japan. My friend claimed that they even have some sort of amusement park based on the films, but I couldn't find anything on the web about that.

The movie that I really want to see is The Grudge, but I can't seem to get a copy that will play on American DVD players. Heard that Hollywood is making a remake. Hope they don't Americanise it too much.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SE7EN
itchi the killer good film just waiting on battle royale 2

The following site has a review of the film if you are interested.

www.upcominghorrormovies.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Tetsuo II: Body Hammer

I finally got a copy and I just have to say that I was horribly disapointed. Strange as the original was a truly brilliant cult classic.

The
says, "Huummmmm!"

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
With the high grossing movie 'The Ring', remakes of Japanese films seem to be filtering into American studios. I personally like the originals better and thought that I would share a few gems for those interested.

Dead or Alive: This was suppose to be some great movie. Perhaps it is because Blockbuster cuts the hell out of movies now, but it bored the hell out of me.

Versus: I can not say enough great things about this film. It is the Matrix meets Evil Dead 2.

Ike The Killer: Again another film that was hyped up, but Blockbuster must have cut all of the good parts out.

The Eye is a Hong Kong film.

DOA sucked.

Versus would have been good if it was 90 minutes long. It was 2 and 1/2 hrs long.

Never saw Junk.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
"Audition" was a fun tale of vengeance.

tale of vengeance? You mean you actually got what that film was about? I didn't but I still enjoyed it.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

The Japanese are at the top of their game as far as horror films go at the moment, whilst the US for a long time have been declining. Thanks to Kevin Williamson, horror has to be "ironic" now and is not scary at all, it's just a joke. Cheap scares in films like someone jumping into the frame are just not horror, not TRUE horror. Everything is such a cliche now, it's embarrassing. What ever happened to the likes of Don't Look Now e.t.c. Carpenter was the last great US horror film maker.

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Isn't pretty much ANY Japanese film a horror?

posted on Feb, 24 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Isn't pretty much ANY Japanese film a horror?

Bwaaaa,ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. It's funny 'cause it's true.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

found this link about the latest trend also found this aswell
www.asiancult.com...

[Edited on 25-2-2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Hmmm Japanese movies,I actually liked some elements of the original "THE RING" (Japanese) than the new one but I also enjoyed the US version.

But as a general rule Japanese movies are crap bar the likes of the classics "Shichi-nin no Samurai" (7 Samurai) and similar Samurai flicks....and perhaps the original "BLACK RAIN" about the nuclear bombs on Japan,it was pretty shocking and sad.

posted on Mar, 15 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
after watching the original ring and ring 2, i have to say, bloody great, only the japanese could have done it, the amaericans never would have made it alone. I havent seen the third though...

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Anyone seen any of the Haunted Schools? i have seen no.4(i think) i have also seen another one called St Johns Wort it was a cheesy haunted house movie i fell asllep.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Don't rent "Victim." It plays like a horror movie but its just another Hong Kong gangster film and a bad one at that.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 05:26 AM
link   
The best 1 i have seen is a korean 1 called Tell Me Something i thought it was very good.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Returner
Take the time travel and robots (but make them aliens & Transformers) of Terminator, the gunplay/kung fu of the Matrix and the Japanese/Chinese mafia and you end up with Returner. Not really original, but an interesting hodgepodge of pre-existing ideas with surprising well done special effects.

I stumbled across this at Blockbuster (which I hate because they edit the hell out of films) and have to say that I watched it twice before returning it. Even considering buying it as there are so few well done Japanese Scifi films that are as well done as Returner.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join