It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Protestor Raped and Killed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I heard a story the other day that about two weeks ago Iranian officials had arrested a woman who had been protesting against the government. The police, while she was in custody, anally raped her with a baseball bat. She died from the injuries sustained. Has anyone else heard of this story, and where is the original news article?

And if true, what should the reaction be?

[edit on 4/5/2007 by Togetic]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

And if true, what should the reaction be?

I think finding out if it's true would be a good start.
Where did you find the original article?

[edit on 5-4-2007 by riley]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I don't have an article, as I recall I heard some people discussing it on the radio. It caught my attention, for obvious reasons. But I can't find it on Google. Let me poke around some more...

No luck after searching for 15 minutes. If anyone has anything, I'd love to hear it.

[edit on 4/5/2007 by Togetic]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   
That's sad. I hope it not true.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Ive heard of this too but havent seen any proof. Ive checked LexisNexis and the Human Rights Watch site but still havent found anything. On the HRW page I found plenty to be appauled at but not this story speciffically.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Erm, this sort of 'justice' is common place in systems based on sharia law. Iran lashes gang rape victims, because they assume that women 'ask' for it. Don't even get me started on the treatment of gay people

I remember a gay group in London joined in with an anti-war/israel demonstration a while back (offering support), and the Muslims in the crowd suddenly turned on them and taunted them.

Of course, the PR stunt involving the British Servicemen (and women) is the only thing that matters when its comes to ATS members.

The Iranian ruling elite are truly hospitable, caring people, because in one incident they gave people goody bags, bought them new suits and offered them tea and naan bread.

Any idiot can see that the hostage incident was a PR stunt to make the west look bad.

[edit on 5-4-2007 by Peyres]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Actually I think this happened in America. I have no links or evidence but what if it 's true!

Vile country, that America.

Seriously, isn't this post rather pointless and inflamatory?

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'm not sure this will help, however it seems to corroborate stories of this type. a link:

www.cbc.ca...

Vic

CX

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
This kind of story makes the Iranian presidents comments yesterday about Britain disrespecting females even more ridiculous.

As Peyres says though, unfortunately this sort of treatment of women is common place in Iran and other countries too, so whilst it's shocking, it's not exactly suprising.

CX.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

...unfortunately this sort of treatment of women is common place in Iran and other countries too, so whilst it's shocking, it's not exactly suprising.

CX.

Common? I didn't know they play so much baseball and have a large amount of baseball bats, in order to make that story "common" ..

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Baseball is not a sport played in Iran, so how did they rape her with a baseball bat? Where did they get a baseball bat? And this sort of thing would never get out for the public to hear in a country like Iran. Trust me, I've lived there a few years. Are you just trying to have a good laugh by making this up? I'm sorry if that's harsh, but it just seems like some sort of immature joke to me.

CX

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by absente

Originally posted by CX

...unfortunately this sort of treatment of women is common place in Iran and other countries too, so whilst it's shocking, it's not exactly suprising.

CX.

Common? I didn't know they play so much baseball and have a large amount of baseball bats, in order to make that story "common" ..

My comment was a general one about the way Iran treats women when dishing out so called justice.

Public hangings of women, even teenagers, stonings, lashings, torture.......these are commonplace punishments in Iran so what i'm saying is this story is not exactly an eye opener. Disgusting yes, suprising, no.

Anyway, apologies for writing the post in away that could be misunderstood.

CX.

CX.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Without any verification from a news source the administration should delete this thread. It is sensationalism and hatred mixed finely.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I agree.. classic example of propoganda. One person hears and repeats it and if it's said enough it starts turning into 'fact'. It's difficult enough trying to figure out what fact and fiction in the media.. don't need to start mixing it with hearsay.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Orwells Ghost
Actually I think this happened in America. I have no links or evidence but what if it 's true!

Vile country, that America.

Seriously, isn't this post rather pointless and inflamatory?

That's not fair. I am not here trying to incite violence or prejudice, and I am insulted at the insinuation. I heard about a story. I wanted to see if others had heard about it. There is nothing more than that. I wasn't throwing Iran or Muslims under the bus or trying to make some point about any alleged American supremacy. If it is inflammatory, it is only to the people immature enough to have an intellectual discussion. Likewise, on what basis is it pointless? If this were happening in Iran, America, or even Micronesia, shouldn't we want to know about it? I posted this out of curiosity. I have no axe to grind.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malichai
Without any verification from a news source the administration should delete this thread. It is sensationalism and hatred mixed finely.

I am not going to defend what other people on this thread may have said. I can only defend what I have said. I hope that you aren't attributing hatred to me; that is baseless and goes against what I think and what I have said on this forum. Perform any search. Second, I did my best not to be sensationalist, because I knew that there would be elements here that would accuse me of just that. I laid out the facts and asked if anyone had any information. That is all. I did not accuse anyone by name, nor did I imply that the story was true. I asked if there was confirmation.

I have been on this forum for three months. In that time, I have heard people talk about the entire spectrum from the incredible to the ridiculous. And I have always tried to be respectful to the people here and those involved in any news stories. I believe in the T&C; I think it's an important and great philosophy. But now I'm a hatemonger and a sensationalist? Based on one question? That honestly hurts, and it's not fair because nearly everything else I have said goes against such claims.

And you know, I probably should have put "Allegedly" in the title, but I can't go back and edit it now. If someone wants to go back and do that, I would certainly want them to. And maybe I could have used more equivocating language. For that I apologize if anyone was offended, but I don't apologize for posting the question. And I would think that the bulk of my writing around here would let people give me the benefit of the doubt that I wasn't trying to be sensational.

If you want to see my views on Islam in general, I suggest you start here.

[edit on 4/6/2007 by Togetic]

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley
I agree.. classic example of propoganda. One person hears and repeats it and if it's said enough it starts turning into 'fact'. It's difficult enough trying to figure out what fact and fiction in the media.. don't need to start mixing it with hearsay.

I can assure you that I am not a student of the Joseph Goebbels School of Propaganda. I heard a story, I wanted to see if it was true. Sounds like the responsible thing to do. I can't help it if everyone else starts to think it's true. I don't want them to think that, I thought it was clear in the OP that I didn't know it was true, and I wouldn't have misrepresented something that horrible as true unless I had a source.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
well, even if I am PRO-Iran, i will post some things related to the topic I found:

A woman raped and murdered in Tehran every six days

TEHRAN, Oct 16 (AFP) - A woman in Tehran is raped, murdered and mutilated every six days as the capital faces an escalating crisis over runaways, a government newspaper said Sunday. The Iran paper said the bodies of 30 women, some of them underage, have been found in the past six months, all of them with their faces burned and all of them victims of rape.

source

And check out this link, useful information regarding the topic:
activistchat.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Togetic
I can assure you that I am not a student of the Joseph Goebbels School of Propaganda. I heard a story, I wanted to see if it was true.

The title of this thread is a statement of fact.. though you're asking a question you've already put bias into it. I also didn't say you were guilty of creating propoganda.. more the spread of it [if it is indeed a false story].

Sounds like the responsible thing to do. I can't help it if everyone else starts to think it's true.

Yet you asked what the reaction should be to something that may or may not have happened. That asks people to presume it's true so yes you can help it.

I don't want them to think that, I thought it was clear in the OP that I didn't know it was true, and I wouldn't have misrepresented something that horrible as true unless I had a source.

Imo I just think the query could have been phrased more objectively.

[edit on 6-4-2007 by riley]

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Originally posted by Togetic
I can assure you that I am not a student of the Joseph Goebbels School of Propaganda. I heard a story, I wanted to see if it was true.

The title of this thread is a statement of fact.. though you're asking a question you've already put bias into it. I also didn't say you were guilty of creating propoganda.. more the spread of it [if it is indeed a false story].

I have already expressed my opinion on the title of the thread. I am not trying to spread anything. If I were trying to spread it, why would I post wanting a source? That makes no sense.

Sounds like the responsible thing to do. I can't help it if everyone else starts to think it's true.

Yet you asked what the reaction should be do something that may or may not have happened. That asks people to presume it's true so yes you can help it.

We make arguments based on whether something is true all the time. Yes, it asks people to assume something arguendo, but not to take that with them into their ordinary life afterward. I was making a point about alleged treatment of women in that part of the world.

I don't want them to think that, I thought it was clear in the OP that I didn't know it was true, and I wouldn't have misrepresented something that horrible as true unless I had a source.

Imo I think the query could have been phrased more objectively.
I said above that I agree.

Lastly, hearsay is where I use someone else's statement to prove what is being asserted by the statement. I reject that I was doing that here; I was merely quoting what I had heard. I was not using towards the end of proving that anything might have happened. I think that's clear from the article. A reasonable person reading the thread would not take away truth from it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join