It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS demand for DNS master key alarms nations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   

the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is demanding the master key for the DNS root zone - a demand that has other nations alarmed. With the master key, DHS would have control over the Internet, as Slashdot describes, quoting an "anonymous reader."

The key will play an important role in the new DNSSec security extension, because it will make spoofing IP-addresses impossible. By forcing the IANA [Internet Assigned Numbers Authority] to hand out a copy of the master key, the US government will be the only institution that is able to spoof IP addresses and be able to break into computers connected to the Internet without much effort.

src: rawstory.com

This is not a good idea. The Internet has obviously expanded from its original DoD role to that of a global tool. For that reason no single nation should have absolute control even when measures are being put in place to secure DNS transactions. If it ain't broke don't mess with it.

brill

mod edit, format link

[edit on 4-4-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

Edn

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Well they wont get me doing that to my server. The thing is, its not entirely possible to ever control the internet, even if they somehow managed to gain control over the information through the net people would simple branch from the current internet and basically make there own.

It all started with BBS when you connected to your neighbors computer with others, thats still around and its something you cant ever control, link that up with with a radio and bounce it of a satellite to someone on the other side of the world who's also connected with others through a local server and you have your self a small and slow but free (as in freedom) basic internet.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   
One could just set up a rebel DNS, right?

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
You know what I'd be doing if I were the other nations? Issue the following ultimatum-get the master key and we'll nuke you. That will work.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I imagine that one day soon we will begin to faze out every thing but the internet. When this happens there will be no other way than to start rogue servers, this sounds like more NWO bs... or is it ?

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
You would be severely limiting yourself, plus running your own root DNS is really not a valid option. Going back to the days of BBS is a far cry from what people are used to nowadays, just look at the e-commerce revolution. On a broader scale some countries could just develop their own versions of TCP/IP and privatize to some degree. I don't think that the DHS will get its ways here. Whats more at stake is why DHS would want the ability to circumvent these security features, but thats rather obvious.

brill

posted on Apr, 1 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Because then they could track the 'terrorists' without fail..

Ick.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Brill

I have been expecting this move on our governments part ever since
the story that VP Cheney's hotel got posted on a website and his
hotel also at the same time got hit by a bomb.

If we as a population don't take the time to raise our voices high on
this major move by our government to silence all critics, to silence
all conspiracy theory's websites then we deserve to be controlled
by whatever they are calling the NWO or Freemasons or whoever
is playing this mind control game card on the whole world.

They want to control the entire world.

We are seriously stupid if we ignore and allow them to get away with
this move on their part.

We need to email our appointed representatives on a weekly basis
on this issue. We must not allow them to remove this freedom from
us and for them to control who we speak to on this internet.

I realize their are pepophiles and terrorists out their. But if 9/11
was planned by our governments, and Britians Hostage situation
is a sham then they really are not planning this move because of
terrorists. They are planning this move because of us who speak
against them.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Wouldnt the owners of the internet backbones be able to overthrow this decision? I mean, they should be able to just state that they are not part of the original DoD network.

The internet is not even owned by the US anymore, the ancient servers that used to make up the DoD network are long since retired.

If the US wants to control their old dial up servers, let them, nobody uses them anymore.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 12:13 AM
link   
More discussion here in Breaking News:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 02:35 AM
link   
John

The US gov doesn't have dial up servers anymore and they haven't for a very very long time.

You seriously think that the US gov who has 4 of the 6 biggest and most powerful
supercomputers in the world would still be using dial up servers.

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
More discussion here in Breaking News:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes but I believe this posting preceded that post. I wish it all could be contained in one post though gets confusing going back and forth.

brill

posted on Apr, 30 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by endrna
John

The US gov doesn't have dial up servers anymore and they haven't for a very very long time.

You seriously think that the US gov who has 4 of the 6 biggest and most powerful
supercomputers in the world would still be using dial up servers.

I wasn't saying that the government is still using them,
what I WAS saying is that the old dial up technology is the ONLY technology they have rights to control!

Anyhow, on top of this... they are now going to be making internet radio broadcasters pay 3 TIMES as much in royalty fees... this could potentially destroy internet radio all together.

The US just keeps pushing for more and more control. It's time we the people figured out how to play their little game of chess well enough to shut them down.
A hefty drop in pay would be poetic justice... how about we start a few rallies and bills?

[edit on 30-4-2007 by johnsky]

new topics

top topics

join