It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when we die? What does death mean?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
As most people are I fear death, I take it a bit farther than most. I have anxiety attacks with just a flickering thought of death, I refuse to do many things because of my fear and I am very over protective of my children. I was raised a Christian and my family is very religious, not fire and brimstone but still very much believers. I have been the black sheep and could never just swallow the whole Heaven/Hell Jesus is our Savior pill. I don't have any hardcore beliefs beyond, I know there is a greater power, I feel it in my core.
What do you believe? I am not looking for proof or facts (if you have them well that would be incredible too) just your beliefs. I feel as if I have been living a very sheltered existence and I would like to broaden my little world, I would like to research and discover my own beliefs so that I might not be so fearful of what happens next.
So, if you could just hold my hand and show me other possibilities so that I can at least start the journey I would be truly grateful. Any and all beliefs are welcome, I and others will take what we want from those, we still have free thinking minds right?

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Very interesting topic.

Why don't you feel the traditional Christian beliefs about the nature of an existence after death are correct?

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
SEEWHATUDO,

Greater awareness and experience will greatly help you. Look into near-death experience research.

Having a Christian background, you might find comfort in learning about Christian near-death experiences like this one.

The state of being in the Spirit is actually more natural than residing in a body. There is no need to eat, drink, or even breathe. You exist as consciousness and project an image to others of how you wish to be viewed.

The process of crossing over can be traumatic or at least a little uncomfortable, but once it is done, all bodily concerns (aches and pains) vanish completely.

[edit on 30-3-2007 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Agree with poster above!

Death itself, and the returning to the infinite consciousness/immortal spirit, is a process we have ALL done many times before. There is no logical reason to be afraid of it, because you can not escape it. Every incarnated being inside a physical body will have to leave at some point, as the body is not immortal.

Religion doesn't help, because it entertains the idea of heaven/hell, when really there is only heaven, but even then the idea of what heaven is itself is very flawed.

If you want to know what the process of death is like, you can take '___', the chemical that is released as you die.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I don't fear death and have no reason to. I am not religious but I am not atheist either. The mistake most people make is thinking that they can fade even thought they are already here. Science and Religion support this. Science states that nothing can be created or destroyed and Religion states we have an immortal soul. The second mistake people make is treating god like he is a human. God if he/she/it were real it would be something vary different then portrayed in the bible.

I don't fear death but I don't really want to die pointlessly, so no running out in front of a bus for me, but I will laugh when someone points a gun at my face.

Hope this help comforts your anxiety of death.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
My two cents,

If some one tells me something I want to see it verified. Some proof. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. I have looked long and hard and find none of the above in faith based belief systems. A major red flag is their demand that you just accept what they say as gospel while offering no proof. It does not pass a basic smell test. Read "The end of Faith” and explore further. Be prepared to meet some stiff opposition from believers, even your loved ones.

In regards to death, what is there to fear? Their are only two possibilities. You remain conscious and something else happens or you cease to exist and get some much needed rest. Either way I'm good to go. I do not spend a lot of time worrying about what the afterlife might be like. If there is anything at all then I'll deal with it then. I am not worried that some entity will judge me. Every act is judged by it’s outcome. Not to mention the fact that everything and I mean Everything with a capital “E” is subjective. Besides I’ve got a few issues with any overlord that might be hiding behind the veil. Bring it on...I think I’ll lead with “Where the hell have you been while all this carnage has been going on??? Have a nice nap?

Fear is the mind killer. Knowledge is power. Everything is one thing that exists in one infinite moment. If you do not believe me (and I hope you don't) find out for yourself. Watch "What the Bleep do we know” Read Amit Goswami's "The Self Aware Universe". Live, love, learn, give, get, and go.
What more could one human want from a few short years on a lonely spinning ball in the middle of nowhere. I doubt the planet fears its death. Why should we?

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   
"While offering no proof"

Right.

Miracles and the argument from design are not proof. Christianity's success is not proof. Changed lives are not proof.

Whatever.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
OP, I know exactly how you feel because I suffer from the same thing and the fear or being nothing and not even existing terrifies the heck outta me. I have learned to control and supress it but things like heights and traveling on motorcycles are to much for me and I have never flew on a plane because of my fears.

Thankfully over the years I became less afraid and I truly believe the miracle of just being alive in the first place imprints me into the universal timeline. If I exist now I hope that means I will always exist in some form or another but to assume I exist as my thoughts are now for infinity is a bit primitive. We are born and our thoughts seem to be developed from biology that strives to keep us alive and the fear of death is a product of our survival instincts.

The fact we are self-aware adds a whole new dimension to things though as some science says nothing exists unless it is observed so for that to be you need life? I think before we ask what is after death we have to examine the whole aspect of life and why it exists but I don't think we can ever know this until we die or our species acends to a higher plain if such a thing happens.

The one thing I know about death is I will eventually face it and I always think about it I cant help it but at least I got to be alive!

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
Very interesting topic.

Why don't you feel the traditional Christian beliefs about the nature of an existence after death are correct?

At times I do believe in an existence after death,believing in a Heaven where I will continue to be with my family for eternity is comforting and easy.

At other times the comfort and ease of heaven are terrifying to me because I just cant grasp it, does every once living thing on earth go to "Heaven"? are all of my poor dead fish, dogs, cats, birds, hamsters etc going to be there? and if not why? And I can't believe it's because they don't have a soul , how has anyone really been able to prove that Freddy the fish is souless?

My only way into Heaven is to accept Jesus as my savior, just being a genuine good person doesn't count, this doesn't seem fair imo.

Heaven in the Christian terms is defined by a book that was told pretty much the way kids play the secret game or whatever you call it, sit in a circle, whisper a sentence in your friends ear and it goes around the circle and is nothing like the original sentence by the end.

I really don't want to die and that be it, I love my children, my husband, my mom, my sister, my nephews, my dad, my last living grandparents, the thought of "Well thats all folks" scares me to my core. But then if the universe is so vast and the scientific data about evolution etc. I would only be able to come to the conclusion that we are just mulch, worm food after we pass.

But I cannot accept that so I seek the stories about afterlife, ghosts, paranormal anything to tell me there is more and maybe I will be able to have my family, which is my life, with me forever(whatever forever is)

Sometimes the born again theory or the different dimensions theory will make sense to me, sometimes even makes more sense then anything else.

This might sound crazy but I have had this thought about a billion times over the last 10 years....We die over and over again but our minds do not know it but we rise into another matrix(for lack of a better word) a continuum of our lives of sort without our knowledge that it's on a different dimension??but the dimension, matrix , whatver that we died in is mourning us.
Dont know if that made sense, hard to put that theory into words.

I do love reading everyone's beliefs and I Thank you all for your input please keep posting your thoughts. I would eventually like to see if some kind of pattern emerges. I hope I started this thread in the right section, if not I hope admin will move

kix

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Fear of death, means lack of faith...easy as that.

Do I Fear death? No, I know this life is only a part of my existence...

Quite funny when people say they are religious but they fear death is like believing in a product but not buying it

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by kix
Fear of death, means lack of faith...easy as that.

Do I Fear death? No, I know this life is only a part of my existence...

Quite funny when people say they are religious but they fear death is like believing in a product but not buying it

Okay so what do You think happens after death? For you what does death mean?
Your post is not really on topic and seems kinda baiting. I apologize if I am wrong but this thread is titled "what happens when you die?" not "do you fear death and if not why?" I am really keeping my fingers crossed that we can all keep this conversation civil since death is literally the end all and should probably be discussed and researched more by all.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I was told by a docter that at the exact point of death hormones are released in your brain (all the chemicals are released or something) when you die so its like a extacy feeling, so iv heard, anyone know about this? I was always curious about what you feel between that transition stage from being alive to dead.

[edit on 31-3-2007 by gtirlad2] Sorry i missed shrunkensimon post.

[edit on 31-3-2007 by gtirlad2]

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:41 AM
link   
SEEWHATUDO, I can only share personal experience.
I read your post, but I must admit I didn't read the other replies because I didn't want to taint my reply.

I know I've lived multiple lives, and I've inhabited many bodies. Each time I lose a body I feel lost and detached from the world, and then I strive to attach myself to a new fetal body. I seek a mother that feels safe and nurturing.

I know I was crushed in a mine collapse at the start of 1962 before I took the body I have now, it was like the rock exploded towards me and I had no time to react. I actually spent time in the rock wondering what happened.
I know I grew up in Winnipeg before I went to Thompson to work in the mine as a teen, and I've even been back to the house I lived in in my last life.

I know about the lives I've had prior to this one, and my deaths have not always been pleasant. I tended to die fairly young, and I've done fairly well this time around because I've made it to 45.

I've had a few stupid deaths that I regret, and I don't expect to get a lot of years out of this body, but hey, I might get a bit more mileage out of the next one. I'm not worried.....

My only regrets are the people that suffer my passing each time I move on.
I know my mothers have lived longer than me, and I know it's hurt them deeply when I've died. If anything, I wish I could change that.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   
To the OP:

I don't fear death like most people. Death is only part of life. We will all die someday. We all have to face our own mortality. You shouldn't fear anything. Not knowing what comes next is what keeps life exciting, whether it be pain, joy, sorrow, or love. I love anticipation and not knowing what's coming. Fear is a good thing in certain instances, as it can help keep you alive. But fearing death is pointless, as it is inevitable.

As far as what I believe. I'll probably never tell my parents this, as I was raised a Christian as well and wouldn't want to break their hearts, but I don't believe either. I lost my faith a while back(though I am young myself), but can't pinpoint the time. I think everyone must search to find what they themselves believe, going on your own journey, I think, is one of the most beautiful things in life. Finding things our for yourself rather than believing what others tell you is a great thing. I think that if there is a god, he would want us to make up our own minds, as he gave us free will. Losing my religion has had no influence on my morals or judgments, and in fact, I think most of us as humans can agree upon what is socially acceptable and unacceptable.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Good topic!
Death is something that every human being fears although many will not freely admit to being frightend. All of us have at some point feared death. Some get over it and accept what will be will be, others go on a deep meaningful voyage of spiritual awareness and others remain in denial over the whole subject. As human beings we fear the unknown, we always like to know what happens next, but in the case of death we can't know.
SO what is my view on the subject. Well it's complex. In 2002 i lost my Mother to breast cancer. Five years on the pain of her death has never gone away, oh i accept that my Mother is dead and i get on with my life but i can never get over her loss and i miss her more than words can ever say, it's like a dagger through my heart and sticks in deeper each day. So naturally i hope, i pray that there is an afterlife and in that afterlife i will be with my Mother again, indeed with all my family. But hope is all i have. There is no hard core evidence that i will ever reunite with my Mother or of any afterlife. I do beleive in a Higher Being, but do not necessairly ascribe to tne mainstream religious beliefs. Religion is a guide but no one relgion is the true relgion. That is an immature and simplified view of the universe, but that is a discussion for a whole new topic i guess!

I will admit to having a very vivid dream of my own death and ascending up to "heaven" and in that dream i met Christ and the apostles who invited to a table for a meal and drink and a good old chinwag. As vivid as it was and it did feel i really was there i am sure it was just a dream nothing more, unless others can convince me otherwise. I guess i dreamt of Christ because i live in a christian society and that's the cultural thinking i have grown up in.
If i'm totally honest with myself on this issue i guess you could say that in my mind the jury is still out on this. I used to be terrified myself of death, sometimes i still am, but since watching my Mother die, in that last terrible week, listening to the progressively worse death rattle which haunts me to this day i have come to accept death as a natural event which you cannot run away from so i've learnt to embrace the concept. Sure i would be terrifed if i came face to face with someone holding say a gun to my head mostly because of the pain of having a bullet goiung through my head, but i would be quite calm over the concept of death itself. Sorry if i am rambling on a bit. With a subject as emotional and complex like this it is good to offload some of your thoughts !

Ram

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I think death is like becomming invisible. I think of it like a wavelength of light that we do not need to see.

And that has somthing to do with the human nerve system - and the human function.
Just like animals have a function on this planet - so do we.

I think we come here to this planet - with a Social dream - to become social with the planet - and be in the room of life.

But especially this planet - is a place of confusion. And im not making it any easier to understand.
Because I got the whole picture of it in my mind. Because it all is connected - it's impossible to describe.

To many connections - to many inner pictures - to many experiences.

But - bacically Death is the return to a well known place for me. Just like anxietydisorder wrote. I also remember past life memories - but I have not gone to a regression, it's somthing I always remembered.

I also have an Idea that death is a place - where we are buzzing around like bee's - looking at planets - going in and out of room's - (dimensions) - that somtimes leads to this dimension - where there is no really return other than death itself.
I think I recognize the feeling anxietydisorder I trying to decribe when he/she writes - Spending some time inside the stone

we creatures do some strange behaviours somtimes. It's very beautiful - because it's very sceintific for the soul - to explore as much as we can - even inside a stone truth exist.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
What it means when you die, it's all over, simple as that. This whole world was a great mistake. Just be glad your're part of it.

[edit on 31-3-2007 by C21H30O2I]

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Death is same as pressing reset button on PC -- you are reborn and your memory is erased. But good news is, you can use regression or other techniques to refresh old memories. Be careful, maybe you won't like them all.

Religions put fear in you so they can control you, they will always say there is no reincarnation and you should fear hell or karma.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I don't know if I "fear" death, but it definitely aggravates me.

Many and nights have gone by where I, while laying in bed, remember I'm going to die sometimes and I get very angry. Frustrated.

I try to figure out why.

I think, it's because if I die, at least right now, I feel that this whole life thing would be a waste. I mean, what's the point of living and doing anything if you're just going to die?

That's the dilemma of humans. We know we're going to die. Some of us dwell on this more than others. Yet, darn near all of us get up every day and go forward ignoring this ever present fact.

That brings me to the question as to why I get angry. What is it about dying that really ticks me off? It certainly isn't needed or wanting to live forever. No, I'm not that vain. I'm sure I'd get sick of living just like I get sick of playing video games, or watching TV, or farting around on the internet.

For me, I think the answer is, I'm ticked at all the cool stuff I'm going to miss out on. I'll never see aliens. I'll never see space transportation as a common means of travel. I'll never see us colonize another planet. I'll never see true Matrix style VR. I'll never see real androids. These are small potatoes in the overall scheme of things, but I think you get my point.

But really, why would I get so angry about this? Certainly other people in life have shared this feeing about missing out. Then I realize, for me, it's something else, something personal. I've always been worried about missing out, on anything. I want to be everywhere at all times. I want to be in on "in jokes," I want to hit up the best parties, I want to go see all the "cool" things. I'm always worried about missing out on something.

So, my fear of death is really an expansion of my normal anxiety over missing out on normal, every day things. I've just imprinted death with the end all be all example of missing out.

I think anyone who fears death fears it for a reason similar to mine. It might not be "missing out" like for me, but perhaps it's fear of failure, fear of how people will think of you, fear of not being able to defend yourself, fear of what will happen to your loved ones without you there. Death becomes the focal point of that overlying problem. When you are able to identify that problem, and work to fix it in yourself, perhaps, you will be able to see your fear of death being to evaporate.

After all, when you're dead, you're dead. So it doesn't really matter.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Nobody knows and if they tell you they do, they're lying.

I've spoken with my dead father in dreams, he guides me and warns me of future events, but I have no idea what it is or what's happening to him. I think there's a tendency to subjective interpretation and claims of certainty where none exists.

[edit on 31-3-2007 by clearwater]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join