It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How come the Media does not show the good that US soldiers do??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
We only get to see the bad things they do, and how many of our brave men and women died over there.

original by Missouri News
A Senior Army Aviator who recently returned to Missouri from serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom tries to promote greater awareness of the good work being done by Americans serving in Iraq. Lieutenant Mark McCarter of Richmond, in northwest Missouri, flies Blackhawk helicopters. He says the military aspect of what is going on in Iraq is only part of what is happening.
McCarter says that while there is a tremendous focus on the bad things happening in Iraq, the American public should be better informed about the positives. Among the positives cited by McCarter are soldiers building roads, working with water treatment facilities, building schools, and delivering school supplies.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.missourinet.com...

The BBC on the good we have done:

news.bbc.co.uk...

There is so little news on any good done by our soldiers in the Coalition.

I ask the question how come. Why is the media so intent on showing only the bad, only the death. The US, or Brits could build 29 schools and have one person killed by a missfire, and that person would be front page and the schools would be burried on page 20A.

Am I wrong, am I right what do you think?

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Italians save a child:

www.defendamerica.mil...

Combat Engineers Help Make Dwellings Into Homes:

www.armyengineer.com...

The US Army is providing a better life for Iraqi women:

www.gather.com...

Do you have any news of the good done by our solders??

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Royal,

I had a thread running for awhile, but there are so many on here that are so obsessed with the doom and gloom the mainstream media portrays, it fell off...

No one wants to believe there is anything positive happening.

That would then discredit their own misconceptions of the war..

Some Good News From Iraq

Semper

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I love your Spawn by the way. The flames rock.

Its time we started asking the media to report the news not just report what their left or right wing tells them too.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Nobody wants those soldiers in Iraq, so few people think they are any good there. The abuses they have commited in Abu Ghraib and elsewhere has blotted their book BIGTIME. Attempts by the media to show them in a very good light would look just like very lame propaganda attempts. It isn't much of a news-story either. And for the stories of US soldiers helping people such as the iraqi women in the link you provided therr are also other stories of US soldiers raping Iraqi women, and it is obvious which story is going to get more attention.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Royal is certainly correct. I think a big reason is that most people don't really want to hear about the good things occurring over there. Also, so many are in this "hate Bush" crowd that don't even want to think that anything good could possibly come from his decision to go into Iraq.

[edit on 30-3-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Royal is certainly correct. I think a big reason is that most people don't really want to hear about the good things occurring over there. Also, so many are in this "hate Bush" crowd that don't even want to think that anything good could possibly come from his decision to go into Iraq.

or there is the distinct possibility that the few good things that have come out of iraq are outweighed by all the bad stuff.

how many civilians have we helped?
i honestly can't answer this question, if anyone has a number on this one i'd be happy to see it

but i do know that we've displaced 2 million
and we've killed at least 60,000 (well, that's just the media reports. many estimates put civilian casualties at a much higher level)

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
It's much easier to demonize all the soldiers for the actions of a few. There is good happening in Iraq, but few of the media are going outside of Bahgdad, or the neighboring area.

There is both good and bad happening in Iraq. Schools are being rebuilt, infrastructure is being reestablished, and many other amall, yet oh so important, things are being done. From small things are larger good accomplished.

kudos to you Royal 76 for at least attempting to shine a light, along with Semper.

Enjoy your sparkly new Way Above...

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
It's much easier to demonize all the soldiers for the actions of a few. There is good happening in Iraq, but few of the media are going outside of Bahgdad, or the neighboring area.

There is both good and bad happening in Iraq. Schools are being rebuilt, infrastructure is being reestablished, and many other amall, yet oh so important, things are being done. From small things are larger good accomplished.

kudos to you Royal 76 for at least attempting to shine a light, along with Semper.

Enjoy your sparkly new Way Above...

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes

If the public are shown images of the soldiers "doing good", such as building schools, you do know that the first thing the majority of the public will say would be somethin along the lines of "the bastards shouldn't have blown up the previous schools in the first place".
I think it would be a fairly pointless news piece to cover such projects as rebuilding schools when there are much bigger news stories out there. And on the subject of Iraq, whether you like it or not, the abuses some soldiers are commiting are a bigger news story than rebuilding a school they had blown up previously.
I would ask who exactly are rebuilding these schools? Who is paying for it? Are you suggesting soldiers are rebuilding schools? Or are the schools being rebuilt by contractors, and who awards these contracts? Is rebuilding the infrastructure an example of "soldiers" doing good???

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Duh, Is it 1 Good = 2 Bad, or 1 Bad = 2 Good

The Brits says we - Coalition Forces - have killed 657,000 Iraqis since March 18, 2003. We have no idea how much damage - destruction - we have done. 100s of billions to fix it if we hire Halliburton. In less than 4 years the Oberfuhrer, Herr Rumsfled, “lost” $9 b. in Iraq, according to the GAO.

We’ve had a few GIs convicted of rape, some of murder, and others of various crimes. We do not allow the Iraqi to try them even though the crimes are commited in Iraq. We have extra-territorial immunity. Hmm?

What do you do when the good is outweighed by the bad? And even the good, the Iraqis say they wish we’d go home and take our “good” with us.

[edit on 3/30/2007 by donwhite]

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
there is also plenty of bad stuff they really don't show. like the current problems that many female soldiers are having in iraq right now. they have to carry a knife on them at all times so they don't get raped by their male comrades.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   
War is ugly. You destroyed their country, killed more than 1 million of their fellowman, you poison their air and water with depleted uranium.

Sorry, but you started it all, the only think you can do positive is to get out of there, pay them everything they need for the next 50 years and protect their country from any invasion and of course your president must apologize to them for 50 years of dictatorship because of him and his predecessors, and after all this, he must kiss his own ass.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   
The media uses a common strategy....shock value sells...and shock value often emerges from the 'bad news'
But I must say, I appreciate every one of those soldiers serving in Iraq, they are serving their country with their lives and it's a commitment.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Here's something interesting:

Lastly, realize that 90% the damage you see on TV was caused by Iraqis, not the war. Sure, we took out a few bridges from military necessity, we took out a few power and phone lines to disrupt communications, sure we drilled a few palaces and government headquarters buildings with 2000 lb laser-guided bombs (I work 100 yards from where two hit the Tikrit Palace); he had plenty to spare. But, any damage you see to schools, hospitals, power generation facilities, refineries, pipelines, was all caused either by the Iraqi Army in its death throes or Iraqi civilians looting the places. Could the army have prevented it? Nope. We can and do now, but 45 days ago the average soldier was lucky to know what town he was in much less know who owned what or have the power to stop 1,000 people from looting a building by himself.

link

While I think you have to be a little psychotic to support war, I highly doubt every American soldier is a monster.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well I am not known to be psychotic, but I do support the war...

The only thing I see here, is that so many have such rabid viewpoints and have any actually corresponded with any of the soldiers that are REALLY THERE???

Or are they relying on the news media and the obviously well touted stories of the malcontents that are broadcast everyday?

135K soldiers there and when 1K signs a petition, all of a sudden that means they all want to leave... WHAT A LOAD!!!

Write a soldier, ask them how they feel...

I do and can tell you they are proud of what is going on over there. Proud of the job they are doing, the help they are providing the Iraqi's, and the fact they are there fighting so that we don't have to fight here.

However, let them spout their rhetoric and misinformed ideals...

The fact that they do not have the information necessary to spout what they do does not bother them, why should it bother us? People have been claiming the world will end for years, this falls under the same category..

Semper

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Although posted on other threads, this actually says it best..

Semper

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Although posted on other threads, this actually says it best..

Semper

Semper, yep, that pretty much says it all.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Goldragnet since you asked; yes soldiers are rebuilding the shcools, roads and hospitals over there. Since you asked oh so politely no our soldiers didn't blow them up. Many were destroyed by the insurgents. Oh wait, you didn't think about that did you? Well, don't start now you might have to change you slanted little mind.

Vitchilo, we didn't start it but if our House and Senate could possible quit being moral cowards we will finish it. Take a look at your facts seems to me that most of the killing over there is being done by insurgents going into crowds and blowing themselves up. As far as our President kissing his own ass I could name someone else I thing should perform that act.

Flame on.

posted on Mar, 31 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Well I am not known to be psychotic, but I do support the war...

The only thing I see here, is that so many have such rabid viewpoints and have any actually corresponded with any of the soldiers that are REALLY THERE???

Or are they relying on the news media and the obviously well touted stories of the malcontents that are broadcast everyday?

135K soldiers there and when 1K signs a petition, all of a sudden that means they all want to leave... WHAT A LOAD!!!

well, i'm sure they don't want to spend the rest of their military carreers in iraq, which would end up happening if we just keep staying the course

Write a soldier, ask them how they feel...

or i could just ask the ones that i know that keep having to go over there. they say it's crap, that bullets really do sting like hell, and john tells me that he misses his left hand.

I do and can tell you they are proud of what is going on over there. Proud of the job they are doing, the help they are providing the Iraqi's, and the fact they are there fighting so that we don't have to fight here.

...who are we fighting over there that would want to come over here?
there are the sunni insurgents... their goal is controlling iraq
there are the shiite militials... their goal is controlling iraq

who would be fighting us over here?

However, let them spout their rhetoric and misinformed ideals...

this coming from the person that spouted off the old "we're fighting them there so we don't have to fight them here" line...

The fact that they do not have the information necessary to spout what they do does not bother them, why should it bother us? People have been claiming the world will end for years, this falls under the same category..

i have the information necessary. i know that there is no way that a MILITARY force can do anything to help iraq. maybe a coalition peace keeping force could help, but not a unilateral military force.

edit: those soldiers in the video seem to say that the only way to support them is by supporting the war that they're fighting. well, how about keeping them out of harm's way? i support the troops to the point where i don't want them in an illegal war that just keeps getting them killed.

[edit on 3/31/07 by madnessinmysoul]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join