It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 and William Blake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
William Blake was a very unique poet in his time. He didn't fit into any time period Romanticism or Rationalism. He talked of the human imagination and freeing ourselves from reason and man once again someday returning to their divine state. I wonder if he was forshadowing the future and if the year 2012, the end of the mayan calender has anything to do with it. Some say in that year people will alter somehow.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
William Blake was an amazing sage and scholar. He wrote many things that do indeed seem to ring true. As far as anything that he said being related to 2012, I don't know. I am one that thends to think 2012 is a year we should be looking forward to instead of dreading.

I really don't even know where all of the doom and gloom predictions about 2012 arose from. Where ever they come from, I think it's from a very deceitful place and it has arisen only recently.

Ten to fifteen years ago, most of the predictions seemed to signify that 2012 was to be embraced, not feared. I have noticed that with the last 5-10 years there have been an increasing amount of doom and gloom predictions about it. Most of which I don't believe at all.

[edit on 29-3-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I'm not certain how this ties into 2012, but there is mention of '9 Ages" in the quote below.

Blake sure had an active imagination. His view of the creation myth is one of my 'all time' favs. There are two Gods at work, one named Los who is all about the destruction and the creative process and the other, Urizen, who is all about bringing order out of chaos and yet causes stagnation.

His associated artwork is great as well.

The above comments are my opinions but you can make your own by reading his work, some of which is online.

facstaff.uww.edu...

From the Book of Los, the final 3 verses;

7: Nine ages completed their circles
When Los heated the glowing mass, casting
It down into the Deeps: the Deeps fled
Away in redounding smoke; the Sun
Stood self-balanc'd. And Los smild with joy.
He the vast Spine of Urizen siez'd
And bound down to the glowing illusion

8: But no light, for the Deep fled away
On all sides, and left an unform'd
Dark vacuity: here Urizen lay
In fierce torments on his glowing bed

9: Till his Brain in a rock, & his Heart
In a fleshy slough formed four rivers
Obscuring the immense Orb of fire
Flowing down into night: till a Form
Was completed, a Human Illusion
In darkness and deep clouds involvd.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'm not saying William Blake prophesized 2012 or anything but maybe the divine state he was talking about, the one he said mankind fell from could possibly be returning in 2012? or something like it iono

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   

the red dragon rampant
do you see
do you see

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Ahsin,I suspect you are right. Ultimately, it is our choice as to what happens in 2012. Could it be disaterous? Certainly. However, at least to my understanding, it certainly wasn't planned to be. But, it would be par for the course if humanity found a way to screw off any enlightenment that may come in 2012.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

But, it would be par for the course if humanity found a way to screw off any enlightenment that may come in 2012.

the only enlightenment that will be happening in 2012 is that a whole bunch of new agers and people who believe anything written down will discover that pseudohistorians have been lying to them
this enlightenment will last right up until the new end time 2036 prophecy becomes popular 10 minutes later

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Ahsin,I suspect you are right. Ultimately, it is our choice as to what happens in 2012. Could it be disaterous? Certainly. However, at least to my understanding, it certainly wasn't planned to be. But, it would be par for the course if humanity found a way to screw off any enlightenment that may come in 2012.

Grrr.

Keep in mind about the Mayans:

1 They didn't predict their own collapse
2 They didn't predict the Spanish to arrive bearing kind gifts of smallpox, sharpened steel and lead propelled at high velocities.
3 They destroyed their own environment
4 They didn't invent the wheel or use beasts of burden
5 They didn't make any predictions for 2012

Keep in mind about William Blake:

1 He was a genius
2 He once saw an angel in a tree
3 He was probably a bit mad
4 HE HAS NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH DAFT NEW AGE CLAPTRAP ABOUT 2012

Oh, and The Enlightenment already happened a few hundred years ago. It was a movement that tried to rid humanity of irrational and superstitious beliefs. It clearly failed.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FatherLukeDuke

Grrr.

Keep in mind about the Mayans:

1 They didn't predict their own collapse
2 They didn't predict the Spanish to arrive bearing kind gifts of smallpox, sharpened steel and lead propelled at high velocities.
3 They destroyed their own environment

So, I take it that you buy into all of these doom and gloom predictions about 2012,eh? You see, I do tend to think something will happen on 2012, just not necessarily of the negative variety.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   

You see, I do tend to think something will happen on 2012, just not necessarily of the negative variety.

why

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
"No bird soars to high, if he soars with his own wings"
Willam Blake-

Indeed, a very well know phenom of the world a "poetic justice" to our beginning.

[edit on 2-4-2007 by menguard]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   
What I want to know is why do so many think that the end of this present age is such a bad thing? I don't see anything so great about our present world system. It has brought forth wars, hunger, spiritual ignorance, materialism, greed, et cetera. I look forward with giddy anticipation to the end of the present age.

]

[edit on 2-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

[edit on 2-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
If there is to be some sort of earth shaking (no pun intended) event to take place in 2012 it would probably be a world wide pacifying of all religious extremists. This would include all forms of Christianity, Judiasm and Islam. No one will be allowed to impose their religion onto another person. The warring between the Catholic and the Protestant will not be tollerated any more. The conflict between the Jew and the Palestinian shall come to an end. The bitterness of the Shiite and the Sunni will be no more. Religious hate will not be tollerated. The masses will push for this and it will become law.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Given that Blake died (1827) about 5 years before Rafinesque began work on the Dresden Codex (from which comes the information about the Mayan calendar), I'd say that was a pretty definite "no."

Blake was also extremely religious and Christian. It's very doubtful that he'd put any stock in prophecies that weren't of his own religion.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
However, this could be a Self Fulfilling Prophecy. If enough people believe that there should be an outcome of great significance, then the people supporting the movement will provide a fulfillment to their own created prophecy.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace
However, this could be a Self Fulfilling Prophecy. If enough people believe that there should be an outcome of great significance, then the people supporting the movement will provide a fulfillment to their own created prophecy.

Except there isn't any agreement of what this outcome of "great significance" is - so it's difficult to see how this alphabet soup of woo-woo beliefs that makes up the so called "Mayan prophecy" can be self fulfilling.

join