It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody know the name of this project.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I was watching television last night and I came to a program on discovery channel.
Extreme Machines: Flight Power. There was something in it about a Rocket belt developed as a prototype for the US dod in the, 50's but with a flight time of 20 sec they canceled it supposebly. Is there more info on this project its name ect. I didn't catch it when I was watching the program.

was something about this.

www.nasm.edu...

abcnews.go.com...

www.uh.edu...

perso.club-internet.fr...

www.techtv.com...

www.internetage.com...

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Flight Journal magazine recently did a recent blurb about this. There is a Swiss inventor who has improved the design and even invented a new catalyst to mfg a cleaner h202 so he can get longer flights. I think his name was Neracher, but can't be sure.

ROCKET MAN HOMEPAGE

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The first version of this was called the AMU (Astronaut Maneuvering Unit) - unless the air force had a name that predated this. The Air Force developed this in conjunction with the Gemini project.

Then it was renamed MMU (Manned Maneuvering Unit) and now it is called the EVU (Extravehicular Mobility Unit).

This looks to be a good starting point for researching the development history.

history.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 09:00 AM
link   
One of the prototypes was used in Bond's Dr. No....

MMU as Val said....I don't know of any project name...though the original idea was from the Nazis....so likely the paperclip scientists, (and the inspiration for the Rocketeer)....

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This page looks to provide a good chronology:

www.astronautix.com...

note that the project is entitled "Project Gemini AMU Space Suit"

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Here's a little snippet on it:

- 1966 Nov 18 - Nation: USA.
NASA plans to include the DOD's astronaut maneuvering unit "back pack" aboard AAP flights. Program: OWS. Spacecraft: Orbital Workshop.
As requested by Robert C. Seamans, Jr., at the monthly program meeting during October, Associate Administrator for Manned Space Flight George E. Mueller summarized the agency's present plans for including the DOD's astronaut maneuvering unit 'back pack' aboard AAP flights.

The unit was first flown aboard the Gemini IX mission, but EVA problems forced an early termination of the experiment. At the end of September 1966, NASA had eliminated the unit from the Gemini XII mission in order to concentrate efforts on investigating the basic fundamentals of EVA. Mueller told Seamans that the astronaut maneuvering unit could be incorporated into AAP flights without compromising primary objectives of the Orbital Workshop mission. At the request of the Air Force, Ling-Temco-Vought, Inc., the unit contractor, was working with both North American and McDonnell to identify modifications needed to integrate the back pack into the Apollo CSM and AM. Although the Air Force had not yet asked that the astronaut maneuvering unit be assigned to AAP, officials were studying the desirability of committing the estimated cost of $2.5 million to $3 million to do so. If indeed the military service made this commitment, Mueller told Seamans, NASA planned to carry one unit aboard the SAA-210 and the SAA-211 and 212 missions.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I am not looking for the one used for space, only for the one which you and I can strep on our back.

posted on Dec, 26 2003 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
I am not looking for the one used for space, only for the one which you and I can strep on our back.

Go to the link I posted above.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
One of the prototypes was used in Bond's Dr. No....

MMU as Val said....I don't know of any project name...though the original idea was from the Nazis....so likely the paperclip scientists, (and the inspiration for the Rocketeer)....

Sorry to correct your statment but the James Bond movie where they used the rocket pack/ jet pack Prototype was Thunderball. I 'm a big James Bond fan and I was watching some of the old 007 movies the other day.

Tim

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
If you want to see one, there is a unit at the Ft. Eustis Transportation Museum in Newport News VA. They also have one of the Avro Discs. Cool spot to stop and look at.

posted on Mar, 14 2023 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Valhall
This page looks to provide a good chronology:

www.astronautix.com...

note that the project is entitled "Project Gemini AMU Space Suit"

Although this cited link is no longer active, there is an updated URL about the Gemini AMU space suit here:
www.astronautix.com...

top topics

join