It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hispanics Leaders Upset by Shock Radio Stunt

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Hispanics Leaders Upset by Shock Radio Stunt

www.northje rsey.com

Hispanic political and community leaders are up in arms over a New Jersey radio show that is exhorting listeners to report suspected illegal immigrants to 101.5 FM or federal authorities.

The leaders say the radio station's campaign -- named "La Cuca Gotcha" -- is clearly anti-Hispanic and may encourage racial profiling and other bias incidents against Hispanics.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-5-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Kudos to the radio station for doing a community service by making everyone aware how many illegals there are.

www.northje rsey.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
although its not politically correct i feel something has to be done and this time the citizens took it upon themselves instead of waiting for the govt' to do it for them. like every sign on the LIRR and NYC/NJ MTA says "if you see something, say something". well, these people saw illegals and said something, since when is breaking the law (coming into the country illegally...) ok? next time i see a rape i should just turn my head because i dont want to offend a rapist?

[edit on 3/22/2007 by bokinsmowl]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I think that this is great and needs to continue. Finally something is being done about this issue. The government obviously hasn't done anything about it so we need to take matters into our own hands.

-ONIAG

[edit on 22-3-2007 by Oh NO ITs AL GORE]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
does the govt actually have anything to gain by allowing illegals into the states? what would be their motivation to let this continue...other than the usual cheap labor for big business? illegals don't vote or pay taxes... they trespass. if i trespass on govt land im going to jail and im a citizen. i just don't get it.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I think it's hilarious.
I say get a flippin sense of humor!

link   

Originally posted by bokinsmowl
does the govt actually have anything to gain by allowing illegals into the states? what would be their motivation to let this continue...other than the usual cheap labor for big business? illegals don't vote or pay taxes...

Depends on how or what you consider as government. As I see it the ones who gain the most are officials that are seeking office. They vote for bills that make it easier for illegals to get legal status and once that happens they in turn vote for that party or individual. I also think it is a misconception to say they do not vote because I am sure some illegals have usng phony documents.

link   

Originally posted by bokinsmowl
does the govt actually have anything to gain by allowing illegals into the states? what would be their motivation to let this continue...other than the usual cheap labor for big business? illegals don't vote or pay taxes... they trespass. if i trespass on govt land im going to jail and im a citizen. i just don't get it.

The government is wanting to totally destroy the middle class and have the super rich and the super poor. You have got to understand that it is getting to the point to where if you don't have a degree from a college/university of technical school, you might as well hang financial independence in your ear. You'll be fifty years old still living with someone who is supporting you.

The government is slowly but surely making it to where people have to live in communes, we all know what charges that leads to, don't we...
They will label people who are just trying to survive as being "cultists," and "anti-government" groups. However, this is all a part of the design.

They are allowing illegals to come into this nation because they know that it will create another slum, hell-hole. I wonder what all of these amnesty people are going to do when illegals turn this country into a third world # hole like the one they just left?

I suspect there will be many excuses. No answers, just excuses. Their mealy mouths will say, "Well we don't know what happened. How were we supposed to know that being "good hearted" was going to lead to this?"
Yeah.

People in America turn a blind eye to this stuff. That's okay. One day in the not too distant future, they will realize that us "hate mongers" were right all along. By that time, it will be far,far too late.

[edit on 22-3-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

[edit on 22-3-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Something does need to be done about illegal immigration, but this is totally irresponsible behavior by the radio station. Has everyone forgotton this little stunt from just 3 months ago?

See a person that you believe may be here illegally, report them, great. What happens when some yahoo tries to detain someone who they believe is here illegally? Plus, what is the point of reporting it to the radio station?

Carton also dismissed speculation among Hispanic leaders that the campaign was a ratings ploy. "I don't need any more attention nor help with the ratings," Carton said of the well-known show.

[url=http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNjcmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwOTc0NTImeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3]source[/url ]

Riiiight.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by WellSee

Carton also dismissed speculation among Hispanic leaders that the campaign was a ratings ploy. "I don't need any more attention nor help with the ratings," Carton said of the well-known show.

[url=http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNjcmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwOTc0NTImeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3]source[/url ]

What difference does it make if the radio station did it for publicity or not, it really makes no difference they can chalk it up as a public service and deduct the air time from their taxes.

Also I think your comparison to the water drinking case is out of line you cannot compare the two in this case the radio station was not asking anyone to indulge in drinking just reporting which is simply done by picking up a phone.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Also I think your comparison to the water drinking case is out of line you cannot compare the two in this case the radio station was not asking anyone to indulge in drinking just reporting which is simply done by picking up a phone.

You're right. It is not the same thing. I was just trying to point out that something that seems as harmless as drinking some water, or picking up the phone, can quickly get out of hand and lead to unforseen problems.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
would this have been a big deal if it wasn't on public radio? as a devoted listener to Opie and Anthony on XM Radio, i hear way WAY worse than this on a daily basis.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Illegal immigration needs to end. All immigration whether it's guest workers or people who want to make the USA home should be legal.

All immigrants should have to show proper paperwork to rent a house, get a job etc. That way there would be no reason for document fraud.

All immigrants should have to pay for their auto insurance and a castrophic health insurance police. This would reduce the impact that illegal immigration is having on medicine and emergency rooms closing.

People who are found to be in this country illegally (after the immigration system has been reformed to make it possible to keep up with the current numbers of people coming to this country, should be immediately deported and banned from applying to come to this country for at least 5 years.

Employers who hire people who are in this country illegally should have huge fines and face jail time. (That would end the employment of people in this country illegally)

Children born to people who are in this county illegally should not be citizens and should be deported with the parents.

Immigration should be controlled by the department of labor. We should be trying to bring people to this country whose skills are needed at that point in time.

Having said all that, I'd like to add that we are a nation of immigrants and I think that there will always be people who want to come here for the oppertunity. We need to create an immigration system that can accomidate people who want to come here to live/ and or just come here for a while and work. It's just that post 911 I think that we really need to have a handle on who is here.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
If the Hispanic community is SO upset over this then they should POLICE their OWN, if they weren't so busy helping we wouldn't be having this problem to begin with

No only should the illegals be sent back, but ANYONE that aids them and gives them ANY comfort should be kicked out as well ( including the politicians )
I think ANY bill that is passed to give amnesty should have a rider that CUTS the income of ANYONE that votes yes for said bill

this Would not be a problem if so many folks weren't making MONEY off this issue ( like the war on drugs or any "war on" ) it's all Money for them, less for us

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   
More racist propaganda from the corporate controlled news media designed to cause racial tension when most of those illegal immigrants are hard working and law abiding members of our society.

Anyone here of other than pure Native American descent? Guess what ? Our ancestors came here illegally, violated the laws and customs of the people who were here when arrived and then our ancestors made a concerted effort to eradicate or ethnically cleanse the Native Americans from the face of the earth.

Some of our ancestors bought and sold African slaves for 300 years.

And now some of you have got the unmitigated gall to complain about some very poor Latino peons who come to do work many of you are unwilling to do for yourselves for sub-market wages.

I spent 20 years of my life defending your Constitutional right to whine and bitch about how bad things have become when damn few of you have ever seen what kind of living and working conditions exist where some of these illegal laborers come from. Many of these illegal laborers will return to their native countries when there done working here in the US because they know they could never afford to live here permanently on the wages being paid them.

I've lived and worked in Western Europe, Korea and the Middle East while serving in the military and it really chaps my ass when I hear all this bull# complaining about how bad things are in the US. Go see what it's like in some other countries before you start complaining about ours.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I got a big chuckle from the name of the campaign: "La Cuca Gotcha".

Now I can't get "La Cucaracha" out of my head!

La cucaracha, la cucaracha
Ya no puede caminar
Porque no tiene, porque le falta
Marijuana que fumar.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by crgintx

And now some of you have got the unmitigated gall to complain about some very poor Latino peons who come to do work many of you are unwilling to do for yourselves for sub-market wages.

I

Unmitigated Gaul??? what are you talking about?

Are we to take it YOU think they should have free run of this country?? I do not think so. My Grandparents had to wait to get permission to enter so why should it be any different for Hispanics?

As for taking jobs you allege Americans will not do you might take some time and read what happened in the NE, Colorado and other areas after the recent clamp downs on illegals before you spew lies. The fact is the companies changed their wages and Americans flooded the lines with potential employees that were LEGAL and yes they were American citizens.

Legal Applicants line up for jobs at swift Plants

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   

More racist propaganda from the corporate controlled news media designed to cause racial tension when most of those illegal immigrants are hard working and law abiding members of our society.

It really doesn't matter if they are all hard working and law abiding. We have laws in our country, which they have chosen to ignore.

Anyone here of other than pure Native American descent? Guess what ? Our ancestors came here illegally, violated the laws and customs of the people who were here when arrived and then our ancestors made a concerted effort to eradicate or ethnically cleanse the Native Americans from the face of the earth.

This is about illegal immigrants. The Native Americans had no concept of immigration, much less immigration law.

And? So? What has that got to do with the topic?

That is being proven as a falsity every day. Take the case of the meat packers in the midwest that were recently raided and the illegals removed. The line of legal workers willing to take their jobs stretched around the building.

I spent 20 years of my life defending your Constitutional right to whine and bitch about how bad things have become when damn few of you have ever seen what kind of living and working conditions exist where some of these illegal laborers come from.

Well then, tell their president to improve their living conditions. Just because their gov't is corrupt does not make it our problem, or responsibility to take care of them.

I've lived and worked in Western Europe, Korea and the Middle East while serving in the military and it really chaps my ass when I hear all this bull# complaining about how bad things are in the US. Go see what it's like in some other countries before you start complaining about ours.

No, you've got it wrong. We have it good here, and we want to keep it that way. We have worked to build this country, and we don't want to give it away to people who have a designated path into our society but refuse to follow it.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I spent 20 years of my life defending your Constitutional right to whine and bitch about how bad things have become when damn few of you have ever seen what kind of living and working conditions exist where some of these illegal laborers come from. Many of these illegal laborers will return to their native countries when there done working here in the US because they know they could never afford to live here permanently on the wages being paid them.

I have to agree... you can't read this thread without a smidgen of conscious humanity and think that these first few posts can't be directly attributed to rampant bigotry... I can't believe moderators would allow this kind of blatant racism... I agree that opinions are valuable... but when you are insulting an entire race, you've gone too far... you realize when you insult [insert your own ancestors original 'nationality']s, you throw a stone at those who have ancestors who may have originated from that same nation...

...such as... 'send those Irish moochers back where they came from'... 'Send those Germans back to their [insert expletive] country'... etc... absolutely inhumane treatment of these poor people... speaking of them as though they are inferior... animals, even... you should be ashamed...

[Edit to fix [html] bracket issue
]

[edit on 22-3-2007 by Harlowe JNkinz]

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
LOL a game looking for illegal immigration may result in racial profiling.

Uh. Duh? Is that not the point... since the vast majority are Mexican and or South American? 15-20million. We can't deport them because they are a different color?

By the way. Hispanic is not even a race.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join