It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hate automatic transmissions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I can see why some would like a stick, but I prefer the ease of an automatic. Come to think of it, I actually prefer the ease of not having a car at all the best

I learned how to drive a stick-shift but never really got totally used to it. Especially stuck at light near the top of a hill. That really sucks.

apc

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by yuefo
I'm with everyone else here. I drive an 05 Civic manual. Since I got it for maximum gas mileage (couldn't afford a hybrid), shifting into neutral has become second nature for me. Drivers of automatics have no idea how much coasting about one can do....

Actually the fluid link of a torque converter provides very little engine breaking when not in lock-up. You can coast just fine in an auto. The reason manuals get better MPG is because there is not the efficiency loss present in that same fluid link. Usually the TCU tries to compensate by locking up during acceleration and unlocking during coasting, but it's not as smart as a left foot.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
call me crazy but I think I actually prefer a manual in the traffic - it's so much easier to have fine control over the car by slipping the clutch exactly the right amount. The few times I drove an automatic (an Opel Astra with 2 liter diesel engine), I'd have to control the speed with the brake (at low speeds, because the car "creeps" forwards slowly when in gear), and then quickly press the gas when the gap between me and the car in front opens up. I also hate that feeling that the engine is detached to the wheels: when I press the gas pedal all the way to the floor, engine RPM immediately shoots up to 5000rpm but the car only accelerates very slowly - with a manual you get strong acceleration immediately (providing the engine is not bogged down).

Nowadays there are transmissions (such as Ford's "Durashift" or the one used in the smart fortwo IIRC) that are basically a normal manual transmission, but with the computer pressing the clutch and shifting the gears for you (so the car doesn't have a clutch pedal). This is basically the best of both worlds- you don't lose any power to a torque converter (in fact fuel economy and acceleration are the same as the purely manual versions of the same car) and you can also shift gears manually while driving, so you essentially get a manual without having to worry about the clutch.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I actually like the clutch. It's the little dance of the feet and the coordination of the shift and the clutch that is so much fun, but I still don't like a manual in creeping traffic, but I don't like creeping traffic, anyway.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I recently just purchased a 280SL 4spd convertable. First standard Iv'e owned since my old 61 Falcon I drove as a kid.

Yep, your'e right!! The feel of that torque and control is majic. Makes the Civic and Toyota pu, down right dogs.

Grady, how's your game??
Santa Ana's playin nice!

[edit on 1-7-2008 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Grady, how's your game??
Santa Ana's playin nice!

My game is on hold for now, but I'm expecting a change of circumstances very soon.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hah, you've made some seriously good points. The cost alone to repair or replace is enough to drive you to drink!

I have been driving a Manual sober for twenty years and when the clutch disc starts to go out my leg kills me. Once the gearbox started to go bad and then my arm was killing me from trying to force it in gear for the 6 months until I could afford to get it fixed. Granted the cost is nothing like Automatic Trannies, but even the manual has its major bad points.

So with that said my next vehicle will be an Automatic so I can just sit back and not have to shift. I loose some drivablility control but I really don't care at this point. I'm 40 and I'm feeling it in my body.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Both manual and automatic transmissions have their advantages and disadvantages.
A big part of it is the vehicle a particular transmission type is in.

You need to learn what each transmission wants as well as what the car wants before you can get the best out of either.

The 88 Mustang 5.0 liter GT purchsed new had a five speed stick.
Lots of torque for a medium sized engine, good performance overall - which includes mpg and gettin' on down the road.

Fun car most times, a pain in the aftside in traffic.

Incidentally, get in the habit of putting the trans in neutral and letting the clutch out if you're gonna be stuck for a while.
Throwout bearings last a lot longer that way . . . three to one is the ratio between my Ranger and a friends Chevy.
Nothing against the Chevy, all in all, equal in quality, but in 100,000 miles he was on his third throwout bearing and I was still running the original factory bearing.
Strictly due to the differing driving styles between the two of us.

89 Ranger 4x4 with 2.9 liter V6.
Fairly good compromise although you had to plan ahead in some areas while towing a trailer.
An automatic would have been a better choice here.
Nice part about the manual trans is being able to coast down a hill to start the car if we have starter or battery trouble when out in the middle of nowhere.

02 Ford SuperCrew with 5.4 liter for heavy stuff and for towing a race car trailer.
The automatic has worked out well and it's best to lockout the overdrive when towing.

32 Ford roadster with very torquey 462" Buick engine. (About 7.6 liters.)
The engine is moderately built, dependable, strong running and makes the car a lot of fun to drive.

The thinking about running the automatic - beefed up T-400 - was that dealing with a very lightweight - 2400# - car and very strong engine it would be best to just hang on and steer without having to worry about shifting.

Interesting part with this car is, leave the gear selector in drive and during easy accelleration it sounds like the car never shifts.
It's just one long steady pull up to speed.
Hard accelleration in drive makes the shift points more evident and slower.

If you manually select low, roll the throttle on smoothly so as to avoid wheelspin and end up with the throttle full-on near the end of low gear then shift, second gear hits very hard and sometimes the tires will start spinning again.
Another hard shift to third and you've pretty much exceeded any speed limit in the country.
And if you're not careful you'll get wheel spin in high gear.

Before you get too critical, note that I've only done the full-on runs at the dragstrip.
Sometimes the throttle gets rolled on hard when on the on-ramps, but the car has been in high from about 25 mph on.

High gear tire spin and just starting to bite good.

Regardless of vehicle type, it's all about learning what it wants and how to drive it.

Right now, the Morris Mini is looking very appealing.
Not so much for the mpg, but the fun of rowing through the gears and trying to stay on top of the hard working little engine.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I think automatics are realy good now,and have been for a few years.My latest car a 2008 model Audi A3 TDI 170 S Tronic has got a great dual clutch that makes seemless power curves between its normal or sporty driving range.I expect most modern car makers will do the same thing and there slighty quicker than their manual stick brothers due to the lack of manual clutch use

Having gear paddles on the stearing wheel makes it easy to change gears when you need to overtake,or use engine braking when you want too

Manuals are still cool,the only time I drive them these days is if its a rental

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think when learning to drive you should start out with a stick shift,but driving on freeways in So California,you'll get tired of constantly shifting,I have 2 automatics,my off road vehicle is a Land Rover and very hard to find one thats not an automatic

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
I think when learning to drive you should start out with a stick shift,but driving on freeways in So California,you'll get tired of constantly shifting,I have 2 automatics,my off road vehicle is a Land Rover and very hard to find one thats not an automatic

you can get the Defender 90 in a stick and some old disco's as well.

I sell cars , Porsche has this new PDK 7 SPeed tranny thats pretty sick. We drove them around PA for a little bit before release in august. I find most of my clients drive 6 speeds except for New yorkers. 2 hours of bumper to bumper traffic will take the fun out of it.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I've always driven a manual but my new car is an Alfa Romeo 147 with a flappy paddled gear box. Took some time to get used to it but now I wouldn't drive anything else.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

What in the name of God is a flappy paddled gearbox?

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

What in the name of God is a flappy paddled gearbox?

You've never heard of a flappy paddled gear box? Where have you been hiding? Mind you, maybe you have another name for them outside of the UK. Its a gearbox were you can either have it in true automatic , you can use the stick shift to go up or down the gears with a simple push forward or backwards on the stick- or you can use two paddles either side of the steering wheel similar to a Formula One grand prix car. You get the ability to change up or down as you see fit but without the clutch pedal.

Here's the set up in a Ferrari.

www.jeremycopp.org...

The paddles are the silver things at the ten and two positions.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
FINALLY!! Soneone who agrees with me!! The automatic transmission is taking over!! Just because some lazy sh!ts can't push a pedal and shift a lever all of a sudden we are sacrificing reliability and money! I hate to admit this, but America is indeed becoming a lazy nation. We all of a sudden are just buying cars that shift at 2k rpm just because it's easier while sacrificing gas mileage AND PERFORMANCE!!! And to top that off, cars that used to be available in manuals (The F-150 for example) are now only available in FREAKING AUTOMATICS!!!
And probably the biggest problem in our society with automatics is these chicks who are putting on makeup, texting, doing their nails and combing their hair while they SHOULD be driving!!!DO NOT MULTITASK WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING OMFG I CAN NOT MAKE THIS ANY CLEARER!!! Anyway I support your view on this topic.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
yeah new M3 has the flappy paddles, and because of this the auto with flappy paddles has faster acceleration than the manual! hah finally my automatic only license is paying off, just need it too pay off around £50,000.00 for the M3 then i'll be laughing. But manuals are better for some stuff, mpg for example. Is it mostly Auto in the US? it's mostly manual over here, which is met with the "oh you only have a auto license? awww you must be disabled" *pats on head* i mean come on manual is kinda lame, far too much effort and i'm half arsed. And both my auto's have DSG's so you can change gear anyways.

PS Now taking donations for a BMW M3

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I love my car, it is a manual.

I drove my mom's car and it goes so slow (automatic)...

Automatic's are a piece of crap, unless you got turbo (like my dad's car wooohooo)...

Manual's go fast, pick up speed faster...

MW31

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Like many have said they both have their advantages. Currently i drive an auto but after a trip to the dyno and a full tune my auto acts like i have a shift kit. I can hold and shift a gear if i want or let D do the work. In my car (2005 GTO) the autos have actually proved faster than the manuals stock vs stock. On LS2gto.com they have compiled a list of timeslips and on average the autos beat the manuals in the 1/4 mile. I believe the best time for a stock auto is 12.7-12.8 while the best time for a stock manual is 12.9-13.0. That may not sound like a big difference but a tenth of a second is a lot at the track. It must be said though the autos lose more power to the drivetrain than the manuals. The manuals usually dyno 15-20 hp higher than the autos due to losing less power to the transmission. The autos make up that loss at the track by being able to hook up during launch better than the manuals. In the end its all about the driver i suppose. Just thought i would add in my two cents.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by The Loge]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
My wife recently decided that her 95 GMC pick up truck was a little too much for her to be driving, but not because of the 5 speed manual transmission.... We went shopping and came home with a Subaru Forrester with a manual shift. We are both approaching 60 and she is 5" tall and barely weighs 100 Lb.s I drive a super charged Honda Fit and would never purchase a car with a small displacement engine with automatic transmission unless it was a CVT and then only if it was equipped with huge brakes.... People that like automatic transmissions must really hate to drive.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Nowadays there are transmissions (such as Ford's "Durashift" or the one used in the smart fortwo IIRC) that are basically a normal manual transmission

Would be nice to see a video of how that works. I too can't stand automatic.
Why is there no highly-efficient CVT that's manually controllable, and why is it not basic on all cars? manual is good but still feels like it should be in a museum by now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join