It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are 'New Labour' losing the plot?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
'New Labour' appear to have seriously misread the mood of the electorate when selecting their policies, probably to the extent that it will cost them the next general election.

I am specifically referring to the policies listed below...

1) Road pricing schemes
2) Vehicle tracking using the forthcoming Galileo satellite fleet
3) Biometric ID cards to be paid for by each and every one of us

I ask two questions of everyone who frequents this forum to help better read the mood of the folk here.

1) Are you in favour of any of these policies?
2) Will you vote for Labour if they are in their manifesto for the next general election.

Here's my answers...

1) No. I think this government is too politically correct and weak to come out and address concerns over the attitude of British Muslims rather than forcing everybody to have an ID card to protect us from terrorism. Road pricing is very unpopular as it will hit those who are forced to travel through cities worst.

2) No. This government has had its time, and so a centre-right government is required to redress the balance.

Hope it provokes some thoughts.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I wont be voting Labour this time, with regards to the original question they seem to be so disconnected from the needs wishes and concerns of the general public as to be completely delusional, then again most of the mainstream parties appear to be much the same so what do you do.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It's far too early to make a decision about who you'll be voting for now (probably at least two years from the next election, possibly three). So much hangs on the success or failure of Tony Blair's successor (whoever that might be) - will Labour bounce back, or will whoever takes over make Labour even more unpopular and give both the Lib Dems and the Tories a boost? Then again, is Menzies Campbell a good enough leader for the Lib Dems to take to an election? Will David Cameron's Conservatives be able to keep their relatively high poll ratings when Blair leaves, or is their success at the moment only explained by the unpopularity of the current occupant of Number 10?

So many questions to consider, and the answers to most of them hang on who will be the next leader of the Labour Party.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by boyg2004
'New Labour' appear to have seriously misread the mood of the electorate when selecting their policies, probably to the extent that it will cost them the next general election.

I am specifically referring to the policies listed below...

1) Road pricing schemes
2) Vehicle tracking using the forthcoming Galileo satellite fleet
3) Biometric ID cards to be paid for by each and every one of us

I ask two questions of everyone who frequents this forum to help better read the mood of the folk here.

2) Will you vote for Labour if they are in their manifesto for the next general election.

Here's my answers...

1) Not a chance. The motorist is an easy target for this Government and avoids addressing hard issues.

2) No. Vote for a Government that is ending its time in Government as corrupt and dishonest as the last Tory Government. And is happy for a brave military to die on a lie.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by boyg2004

While I believe transport in general needs a good amount of reform I oppose road pricing and vehicle tracking, to be honest they are mad if they think they can enforce it.

As for ID cards I'd rather not, thanking you Mr Government, the advantages are extremely over hyped and its simply not cost effective.

As to the suggestion that New Labour are losing the plot I think your right if you mean they've lost touch with the public, then again I'd tend to agree with the statement that all of the political parties have lost touch.

I think the whole "Brown to save the day" idea is beginning to show cracks, he's not faired too well in recent polls against the opposition leader Cameron and the are those in the Labour party who would rather a different leader.

I'm becoming some what apathetic to the whole lot of them, I see no future leaders and no politicians who actually listen and no political party who I think at this time deserves my vote.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Blair has not lost the plot in the strict sense.

When Oswald Mosley broke away from the Labour Party in the 1930's, he formed the British Union of Fascists, yet this was only after a few months. The original name for Mosley's group was THE NEW PARTY, hence Blair's NEW LABOUR can be seen as actually a merger of the ideals of the NEW PARTY and THE LABOUR PARTY - a heady mix of HARD CORE FASCISM and of TRADITIONAL LABOUR MISMANAGEMENT, all held together with Cherie-flavoured fudge.

IN the words of Alex Jones, hidden in PLAIN SIGHT, Blair has given the country what it voted for, a GOVERNMENT of #, for # and run by #.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
So much hangs on a number of things...

- Is Menzies Campbell a good enough leader to recognise that he is a useless, alkzheimers-riddled old fart, an old man in a hurry? Will he do the honourable thing and die of old age?
- Will Tony Blair withdraw from the Middle East or join in the Third World War that leaves the poplution of Britain somewhere between 3 and 4 digits in number?
- Could Brown prove himself not to have the personality of a lump of driftwood, gain the respect of the nation and push Labour above 10 seats at the next General Election or possibly even have the chance of beating the Monster Raving Looney Party candidate in his own constituency?
- Will David Cameron completely screw it up and win a measily 600 or the 650 seats in a country that would vote for a lame, blind, syphallitic donkey in place of Blair?

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Hi there. IMO both these policies are fundamentally flawed and I can`t believe the public has not reacted severely against either. For more of MO see ID cards thread and a bliar thread, can`t remember which, will find in my posts.
Voting, the time they started to advertise the last election I phoned the number advertised and despite it being >3 months until the election, I was told It was several months too late to register to vote!!! so why advertise and say"for information about how to vote, please phone 0800 F*ck You"??

The whole thing stinks, really, and I will register VERY soon, please read "spoiling your Vote(Don`t Vote)" thread too. Yeah, that was the other one I temporarily forgot.

posted on Apr, 23 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Also, Bliar has led us into more conflicts than any other politician in the last nearly 100 years. Co-incidentally, one of the few PM`s not too have seen military service. If Ewan Blair were in the forces even, I wonder if he were to be so trigger(sorry, legacy) happy??

Point being, most of the MP`s, menzies included, who have seen military service are critical of Bliars approach. Bliar thinks he did everything right. I`m not an angry person, but...

[edit on 23-4-2007 by MistahBear]

top topics

join