It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is South Africa the Next Global Super Power?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
Jo

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 03:30 PM
link   
[Edited on 28-12-2003 by Jo]

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 03:32 PM
link   
How can a country become a super power when high standards are only available to a small percentage of the population while on the other hand most western countries have high standards for most of the population?

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I've read somewhere that south africa is supposed to be involved with the NWO. Apparently the U.N. has lost a lot of respect throughout the world which would cause a need for a higher branch of government (NWO?). Biblical prophecy also talks of a leapord in the end times, some believe it deals with africa since the leapord is somewhat of a mascot or icon over there.

Jo

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 04:17 PM
link   
[

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 04:28 PM
link   
i dont see how it will rise THAT fast, i mean SA's economy is smaller than like over 15 or more nations with one of the smallest militaries, heck one state in the US alone is migh higher up than your whole country is.

Originally posted by Jo

Originally posted by THENEO
How can a country become a super power when high standards are only available to a small percentage of the population while on the other hand most western countries have high standards for most of the population?

I did ask for for serious informative comment.
Please do not change the issue.

You clearly are referring to something you have read or have seen on television.

I believe you are missing your Jerry Springer show.
Run along now.....

[Edited on 20-12-2003 by namehere]

Jo

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 04:35 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I think it has the potential the Rand is a strong currency. They have a lot of natural resources. But crime is a huge problem and also education. The whites should have eased it�s way out of apartheid over 20 years by giving the black children a very good education. But still you have to give a lot of credit to Nelson Mandela how he kept the blacks from full out murdering every white person in the country is a huge accomplishment.

Jo

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 06:12 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Wow i didn't know all of that. The only reason I know anything about South Africa is because I lived in an apartment 10 years ago where a very nice South African Family also lived. They use to tell me about how bad it got after the government fell. How he lost his business due to the looting. The funny thing is he brought up the point about the education he had no ill will towards the blacks which surprised me. He also spoke highly of Mandela almost in a I owe this man my life sort of way. Why is it the Rand is so strong and stable?

Jo

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 06:26 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jo

Do keep in mind that SA is very different now to what it was 10 years ago and that is still how your SA freind remembers things.

You know your right about that. I should have thought about that before I made my crime comment. Oh well human error the time trap. lol.

Jo

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 06:43 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Jo

Weird that you mention that. But there seems to be a lot going on there, lately.

Not that much related, but my uncle is a internationnal consultant, used to work for the gov. of Canada for border control and policies, and is now hired to do so, but by countries all around the world.

And the last year almost only involved mission to South Africa, and also Cote d'Ivoire, wich is more on the western side of Africa. (interesting: the first link on google while I searched for 'Cote d'Ivoire' camed from cia.gov, wich seem to have a very nice section called "The world Factbook") He personnaly told me that there's a lot of corruption over there, and the law enforcement agent have a truck loads of work to deal with.

BTW, I have some wonderfull pictures he brought back that I plan to post on BTS in the near future. (I don,t have 'em on my PC as of right now)

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I think SA will NOT be the next superpower...

here is way I think it will not...

lack of important arterial rivers or lakes requires extensive water conservation and control measures; growth in water usage outpacing supply; pollution of rivers from agricultural runoff and urban discharge; air pollution resulting in acid rain; soil erosion; desertification

estimates for this country explicitly take into account the effects of excess mortality due to AIDS; this can result in lower life expectancy, higher infant mortality and death rates, lower population and growth rates, and changes in the distribution of population by age and sex than would otherwise be expected (July 2003 est.)

Population growth rate:
0.01% (2003 est.)

Net migration rate:
-0.35 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2003 est.)

Life expectancy at birth:
total population: 46.56 years
male: 46.57 years
female: 46.54 years (2003 est.)

HIV/AIDS - adult prevalence rate:
20.1% (2001 est.)

HIV/AIDS - people living with HIV/AIDS:
5 million (2001 est.)

Population below poverty line:
50% (2000 est.)

Unemployment rate:
37%

[Exchange rates:
rand per US dollar - 10.54 (2002), 8.61 (2001), 6.94 (2000), 6.11 (1999), 5.53 (1998)
(the exchange rate is getting worse)

Illicit drugs:
transshipment center for heroin, hashish, marijuana, and possibly coc aine; coc aine consumption on the rise; world's largest market for illicit methaqualone, usually imported illegally from India through various east African countries; illicit cultivation of marijuana; attractive venue for money launderers given the increasing level of organized criminal and narcotics activity in the region

The facts ubove are my reasons why South Africa will NOT be the next world super power.

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian

20.1% (2001 est.)

5 million (2001 est.)

All good points but where did you find this info? The Aids info is some scary stuff.

posted on Dec, 20 2003 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jo

The standard of living in SA is higher than that of most European countries.

Umm, shall we compare?

South Africa's GDP per capita - 10 000$
Finland's GDP per capita - 25 800$
France's GDP per capita - 26 000$
UK's GDP per capita - 25 500$

I could continue forever but I think I made my point.

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by DiRtYDeViL

Originally posted by Russian

20.1% (2001 est.)

5 million (2001 est.)

All good points but where did you find this info? The Aids info is some scary stuff.

All that info is in the CIA World Factbook
Here's the link directly to it.

Jo

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Fantastic debate ladies & gentleman.

This must be the first topic debated with out personal opinion and outside propaganda influence.

You are all actually using facts and first hand information to make your conclusions.

I commend you all.
But please do not stop now it's only just getting interesting.

Yes the HIV thing did totally slip my mind.
It would be good to note that HIV is predominantly found in the lower classes.

Is this an attempt at getting rid of all the "dead wood"?
OK seriously now yes HIV is most likely the one thing that will hinder the development of SA and untill a cure or solution can be found things are going to progress very slowly.

Once again SA is the only African country to keep acurate statistics of it's HIV situation and make it public knowledge to the rest of the world.
The HIV situation is far worse through out the rest of the continent.

Jo

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Jo

posted on Dec, 21 2003 @ 10:55 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join