It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Highways of Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I've made this comment again and again, but something to consider:

Situation X finally occurs. People panic, pack what they can, hit the roads. Congestion reins. Even those who escape from the city face accidents clogging up roads. Let's up the ante...what happens when gas stops coming around? A lot of people are already in the habit of driving around with half-tanks or less. Suddenly, we have stopped cars everywhere. Gridlock. Fights breaking out.

Let me ask you this: How long can you live out of your car? How much food is in there, right this instant? Water? Another factor to consider- without resupply, how long will rest stops in the midwest last?

Something to consider, I suppose. What do you all think?

DE

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Ask the people who fled Houston, Texas before Hurricane Rita hit -- the same scenario hit them.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
AHHHH,

The Mad Max scenario.. Interesting.

I have not contributed much on the survival front, I wanted to see what others had to contribute and almost everyone has different ideas.

Having attended a few Marine Survival schools, I tend towards the "Basic Needs" configuration.
Water
Shelter
Food
etc....

As to what is in my Jeep, two five gallon water containers, full. First aid kit with sports bars. Camping gear, tent etc. But I do a lot of off-roading and use this stuff all the time. I also live in a hurricane zone and my jeep is set up to be used as a generator in a pinch.

Semper

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
A car is fine if there is an orderly evacuation where traffic control measures have been taken and both lanes of highways are open to traffic e.t.c.
If the situation is less then ideal your best bet is a mountain or road bike with some kind of trailer that you can tow. In the event of every man for himself and the clogging of the roads you will move faster on a bicycle and chances are you will be safer.

If you have managed to stock petrol in advance a 4wd would be a good option much like a mountain bike the off road terrain would be available to you.

[edit on 24-2-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Evacuation by car works as long as no one else is doing it, look at what happened before Katrina, I remember seeing massive tailbacks on the news. When the disaster is local I can see the possibility, but when it is a larger problem then it would be a massive problem for disaster handling agencies eg FEMA.

I think a good example is the possibility of a large eruption of Vesuvius, where all of Naples and the surrounding area would need to be evacuated, potentially in a very short time, it just wouldn't be possible.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
My theory is that this will never happen. WHY? Because the government is way to smart for that, they already have us all brainwashed and slowly leaching us out of our rights and liberties. By the time any thing gets ready to happen, it will be too late and most people will think it's a great idea to be crammed with dozens of others nside of the dark boxcars to be taken off to the camps to keep them safe from the impending doom that is about to fall upon them. You watch. Sure some of us are smart and will question this, but that's when we will become the extremests. They fear mass panic and will do everything to prevent that from happening. Slowly but surely is their method.

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
SemperFortis, I am interested in the jeep/generator idea. Do you have any info on the conversion?

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
There are any number of units out there.....

They are actually like everything else automotive, "You pay for what you get."

Mine is pretty old and much larger (Bulkier) than what you can get today, but I have had it several years and it works well...

This one looks really promising...

Power Inverter

Semper

posted on Feb, 25 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Many studies have been done, especially recently in light of disasters such as Katrina, regarding "Speedy and Safe" evacuations of urban areas.

The findings have been abysmal.

If an orderly evacuation can be mounted Before a disaster hits, there is a chance you might get out. However, as has been seen time and again, there is no guarantee: Many refuse to evacuate in a timely fashion, believeing that there is no pressing need, or that "It's just a Government conspiracy to get us away from our property", or that they'll "wait and see if things get bad enough".

Most are not prepared to leave in the time alotted, and end up leaving late; only to get trapped with the masses of others like themselves.

Unfortunately, most "bug out" situations do not give much advance warning.

Where I work, my work-station is about 150 feet from the nearest restroom. Even if I kept a complete survival kit at my desk, I'd be in deep dung if a massive quake were to hit while I was "takin' care of business".

My desk is also 300 feet from the front entrance to my place of employment; my car (with my mobile survival gear) is parked in the employee's lot, 4 blocks from the the entrance. That's quite a dash if the sirens ever go off!

And that's assuming that they DO go off.

More and more, the concept of "Shelter In Place" is gaining acceptance.

More and more I keep imagining those "mummies" found buried in the ash of Pompeii.

[edit on 25-2-2007 by Bhadhidar]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I plan to not use a car at all. In any situation that you are faced with a military/government-based SitX, they will undoubtedly have all the roads blocked off with checkpoints by the time you try to leave anyway. That's why my BoB contains only the basics.... just enough to fit into a backpack. I intend to bike out rather than take a car, down nature trails and other less-populated or travelled routes. It's not as fast or easy as driving out, but it's about the stealthiest approach you can take if part of the problem involves you not being detected by the authorities for whatever reason.

Bikes don't require gas, oil, or much maintainence. Just a couple of spare inner-tubes and a portable bike pump and you're pretty well good to go. Maybe an extra chain if you are really paranoid.

This is one of the main reasons you should try to keep fit and in good health, and be able to bike (or god forbid, run) 20 miles or more without stopping. Keep in mind all the stuff you'll be carrying, too.

Being on foot or bike leaves you a lot more open if you are confronted though. You don't have the safety of a vehicle to save you to protect you if somebody decides they want all your nice stuff. That's why I would recommend you bug out in a group of at least 3 with your most trusted friends. You should also be trained in some form of self-defense (I haven't gotten around to it yet), and carry some form of weapon for your own safety.

[edit on 2-3-2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Ive never planned on using a car. It would be impossible to escape any urban area with a car. Roads are easilly blocked. Right now a few state and the fed with the SPP are considering re-building their toll stops and even adding more.

Its not so they can colect $1.00 from us. Its so they can regulate our movement and keep track of us.

At the very most Id use one of my bikes equipped with touring packs but its much more likely Ill be on foot and away from all the roads.

Im in CT. Not very large but heavilly forested. I can get to Canada without stepping foot on any roads. The government lands and parks make a nice connection between the states.

No roads, no people, plenty of squirrels to eat and plently of room to camp.

Illl take my time. Stay calm. And steadilly move away from the madness.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   

This is one of the main reasons you should try to keep fit and in good health, and be able to bike (or god forbid, run) 20 miles or more without stopping. Keep in mind all the stuff you'll be carrying, too.

This is a good point and is often overlooked.

Fitness is a big thing. In the event that this scenario does occur, traffic will be snarled. I would take the approach of driving as far as I can, then abandoning my car and setting off on foot or bike. This will require some level of fitness if you want to survive.

Get used to extreme weather. There no telling if or when this happens what the weather will be. It could be 100 degrees outside. How far will you be able to walk with the sun beating down on you at that temperature? It could be 5 degrees. How far could you get in that type of chill?

Get in the gym. Go running. Do something. I stay in shape, for myself, but I know it would never hurt if I got into a jam. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Aside from fitness, buy a tent. Any tent will due, but if you have money to spend, buy one that you won't have to replace after a few uses (i.e; not Wal-mart). You can always build your own shelter, but chances are, if you're reading this you probably don't have that know-how.
Buy a backpack to carry that tent. Buy some basic accessories. Stock up on matches. Buy a good pair of hiking boots and extra socks. Make sure you have clothes that will keep you warm but fluid in the winter, and clothes that will keep you cool in the summer.

Educate yourself on survival techniques. Learn how to make fire without a lighter or matches. Learn how to create a shelter. Learn how to find a food source, be it plants or animals.

Create a plan. Know where you're going to go and how you will get there. Don't just set off wandering, you could find yourself in even more trouble.

IF this were to happen, only the strong will survive, and you can bet there will be stronger than you out there. Arm yourself, somehow. Just about everyone has a gun. Should you get one? That's your call, but some sort of defense mechanism will be needed at some point...

new topics

top topics

join