It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Electric Shock For Internet Addicts In China

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Now Electric Shock For Internet Addicts In China

Source Link: www.allheadlinenews.com

In a treatment that equates Internet addicts to mentally ill people, China is giving electric shocks to people who spend more time on the Internet than required.

The Chinese government has launched a nationwide campaign to treat "Internet addiction" and many Internet-addiction clinics have been opened in this regard.

A recent survey found that nearly 14 percent of teens in China are vulnerable to becoming addicted to the Internet.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Wow. Another shining example of how Communist Countries attempt to control the everyday lives of their citizens. I wonder what the limit is for usage before you gotta get shocked

This part is particularly alarming

The "addicts" are treated by counseling, military discipline, drugs, hypnosis and mild electric shocks. The clinic also has metal grates and padlocks on every door and bars on every window

They are nuts over there.

[edit on 2/24/2007 by ShAuNmAn-X]

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Actually in China "internet addicts" are being looked at like drug and alcohol addicts, which have also been targetted by the Chinese goverment. Apparently "internet addiction" is a problem in China:

Washington Post

Now the country is turning its attention to fighting another, supposed addiction -- one that has been blamed in the state-run media for a murder over virtual property earned in an online game, for a string of suicides and for the failure of youths in their studies.

The Chinese government in recent months has joined South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam in taking measures to try to limit the time teens spend online. It has passed regulations banning youths from Internet cafes and has implemented control programs that kick teens off networked games after five hours.

There's a global controversy over whether heavy Internet use should be defined as a mental disorder, with some psychologists, including a handful in the United States, arguing that it should be. Backers of the notion say the addiction can be crippling, leading people to neglect work, school and social lives.

There sure is a big problem with "internet addiction" in Asia, since countries like South Korea or Tailand face the same problematics with Youth; and if you remember there have been a few deaths related to "internet abuse", when young boys were found dead on their keyboards, for playing a game for 24 hours straight. Or killed each other for virtual possessions.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   

and if you remember there have been a few deaths related to "internet abuse", when young boys were found dead on their keyboards, for playing a game for 24 hours straight. Or killed each other for virtual possessions.

Those cases have happened. The 24 hours awake thing seems rare. Killing on the other hand. Look at 15-17 years ago, kids were killing each other over their Reebok Pumps. That's not really a problem that can be attributed to the internet, or the shows in the case I pointed out. It's a problem with society. The thing that intrigues me is yes internet addiction is a real problem, but whet are China's criteria for diagnosing that someone's addicted to the internet? It's probably part of their campaign to restrict the internet IMO. Addiction can be treated but how do you define addiction in terms of hours or usage? I'm willing to bet that most of us on this forum fall under China's criteria for internet addiction

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Why not just a complete lobotomy?

That would take care of any vices for sure.

And then some.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShAuNmAn-X
Those cases have happened. The 24 hours awake thing seems rare. Killing on the other hand. Look at 15-17 years ago, kids were killing each other over their Reebok Pumps. That's not really a problem that can be attributed to the internet, or the shows in the case I pointed out. It's a problem with society. The thing that intrigues me is yes internet addiction is a real problem, but whet are China's criteria for diagnosing that someone's addicted to the internet? It's probably part of their campaign to restrict the internet IMO. Addiction can be treated but how do you define addiction in terms of hours or usage? I'm willing to bet that most of us on this forum fall under China's criteria for internet addiction

Actually China has a different approach to almost everything - so if you can get death sentance by firing squad for having a little ganja then it is not so surprising that this kind of action is used against "internet addicts". But then again, you have to look at this from a completly different prespective: there are MANY Chinese and for such massive countries like that, maybe those kind of laws actually work better. Don't think I am defending their actions against so-called "internet addicts", we all know how strict their policies regarding censorship are and stuff like that. Basicly I think this kind of action from the Chinese goverment is only an attempt to keep the Hackers down and not be able to spend so much time online, since they could come dangerous to their internet systems, so they made this kind of action, which puts internet users and loonies in the same room with electro-shockers.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I can see your point. Maybe things do work better that way with such a large population. I still think they are nuts though

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Why not just a complete lobotomy?

I'd rather have a monitor in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Seriously, This could be a great motivational tool. Perhaps one day Internet technology will advance to a point where the "powers that be" could send electric shocks through your Internet connection to the user who is spending too much time online?

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShAuNmAn-X
I still think they are nuts though

Well they can be happy since the electrodes are not on their Nuts:

In China, Stern Treatment For Young Internet 'Addicts'

A 12-year-old boy is treated with a series of low-voltage shocks in a therapy that doctors at an Internet addiction clinic in China say helps patients sleep better.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
A couple of years back, there was a tv news documentary on internet game addicts, which followed the life of a Chinese boy who had locked himself away in his room for 2-3 years. His father was forced to place his food in ziplock bags and push them through the bottom of his room's door, so his son could eat food.

The boy didn't want to leave his room, because it meant that he would have to interact with the outside world, when he said he was popular in his game world and would get bullied in the real world. His father was forced to have the boot camp "officials" kick his door down and place him in the camp. The boy did end up being more social, and didn't lock himself in his room, but from the studies psychologists did on him, they determined that forced change, such as what the father did to his son, will result in personality disorders later in life, and resentment towards parents. In the short run, this might work, but in the long run, it harms the child greatly, both emotionally and mentally.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   
If the Chinese spend so much time on the internet that it threatens their very lives, maybe they should examine the problems in their society a bit closer. When I still lived at home as a teenager, my dad simply threatened me with all sorts of punishments and that was enough for me to cut down on my time online. Something else works too;.... confiscating the computer, or simply taking away internet access. How about hobbies and sports?
First of all.... what's the kid doing being able to LOCK himself inside his own room? Second..... why does the father continue to give him food?? Water would be the only thing I'd slide under the door. Eventually that boy would come out very hungry, and that's when I'd take the opportunity to smash the screen in. Electric shock??? Try conventional parental discipline.

Something tells me this internet "addiction" is B.S.,.... a cover for something else. I don't think the Chinese government likes that their people are communicating with others around the world who don't live in Communist countries. Somehow I think they don't enjoy their people being able to look at news from around the world other than from China. I wonder how much internet material is blocked from China's people.
I remember when I lived in a Communist country, we weren't allowed to watch a lot of American/Western movies. We were told that Mother Russia was the best place in the world, and that the other nations like America and Germany were corrupt and evil. Some people swallowed that crap (especially kids), but many others knew better than that. Keep in mind that my country had one of the most lax Communist governments there was. Had internet been available to everyone back then, I'm pretty sure that a lot of people would spend hours at the computer, trying to get their fill of the Western world. I wonder how the Russians would have handled that problem back then.
That leads me to question whether the Iranians and other Arab nations have such free internet access for their people...hmmmmmm.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Just when you think you've heard it all...

Internet addiction. Somebody decides you're addicted and your nation actually has a method to deal with it.

Incredible.

Good find, Souljah.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Actually in China "internet addicts" are being looked at like drug and alcohol addicts, which have also been targetted by the Chinese goverment. Apparently "internet addiction" is a problem in China:

It kind of makes me wonder if it is a made up problem to keep people from using the internet. They get Google to censor searches from China. Maybe that isn't not be enough for them and they need to make the internet a boogie man.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Somebody stop those retards from doing that, China is the most opressive country in last decade I noticed in the whole world.
From bringing up tanks on the streets, killing students, I am ashamed for that regime still is alive, Why we just shoot some nukes on their government or some central buildings where they come up with such ideas, I can only write this, but I hope someone will do something more than that.
Those bloodthirsty animals .EQ. Chinese governement.
Ridicuolous and disgusting.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The old give it a derogatory label and then implement oppressive measures to control the populace to the desires of the state. It happens all over and reminds me of the US labeling kids with ADHD/ADD and then getting them hooked on amphetamines.

How long before they fit electrical shock collars on kids who won't conform to the whims of society?

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
you mean Chinese Internet Addicts being tortured by Chinese government?
HAHAHAHAHA, you are really interesting
I live in China, I didn't hear about it.
American sytle of propaganda makes American style of bias
if you always get distorted information like that, finally you will
becomes American style of idiot.
Pay a visit to China, you will know the fact.
Use your own brain to think in stead of just listen to you government.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Maybe the treatment is for people that can't stand on their legs any more, or for people that have gone over the edge and can't sustain their self mentaly any more.
Maybe it's just terapy.
I herd that some one died for staying on his computer 4 days with out any nutrition,water, he just colapsed mentaly.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It is their parents who mostly worry about their Addicted children.
Not the CHINESE GOVERNMNET.
it is their parents who send their Addicted children to hospital for treatment,
Not the CHINESE GOVERNMNET.
USA's government always demonize others, so that they can get
enough excuse to intervene or even invade others,
You Americans are always befooled by them and support their bully
in the world.
that is why more and more people in this world hate Americans.

[edit on 13-3-2007 by gs001]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
No new Internet bars this year China Daily, China
China to find back children lost on Internet games Xinhua, China
China's unique approach to treating internet addiction Shanghaiist, China
Electric Shock Treatment for Internet Addicts Hardware Zone, Singapore
Internet Addicts Treated with Electric Shock Therapy ShortNews.com, Germany
China bans cybercafes for 2007 Agoravox, France
China Launches Campaign For Net Addicts Tech2, India
Boot camp to reform China's Net addicts Electric New Paper, Singapore
In China, stern treatment for young Internet ‘addicts’ Peninsula On-line, Qatar
China electrocutes young gamers Inquirer, UK
China funds boot camps to battle internet addiction New Zealand Herald, New Zealand

Yup, sure looks like it is only the US that is demonizing China and only the US is saying that Chinese government is funding shock treatments for internet addicted kids in Daxing boot camps.

Meanwhile, Beijing is still buying worthless US treasury bonds. Chinese are still working like slaves for peanuts. China is still turning their nation into a toxic dump and still depleting all their natural resources to make gadgets for Westerners. So maybe China should read more news from other sources or is the Great firewall that good keeping them all in the dark?

Walmart Invades China

Maybe when China figures out nation-less mega-conglomerates and transnational corporations are controlling their lives, then they'll wise up?

From Shanghaiist:

An old military base in the Daxing suburb of Beijing has been repurposed for battle against internet addiction among China's 12 to 24-year-olds. According to a new report, 14 percent of Chinese teens are vulnerable to internet addiction, and the Communist Youth League says that internet addiction is "a grave social problem" that threatens the nation. Additionally, the Chinese media has recently drawn attention to social problems related to internet addiction including a murder over the theft of virtual property and a string of suicides....[Full Text]

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 13-3-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Wow they get to play paint ball with real AK37s
, forget counter strike , their doing it for real, it looks tho they are actuly enjoying it and laughing.
I'm against making people do what others want, but they are under age, kids get sent to military schools al over europe and across the us, so if it's the parents sending them there is no problem at all, I don't really think the police comes ringing at the dor to grab the kids from their homes, china has evolved alot and it's really not that much of a comunist country any more, if any one noticed one of the kids has a piercing in the ear in the military camp , wow I don't think he would be alowed that in a US milirary shool.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join