It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 of 4 Kids Overweight In Washington

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Nearly one out of every four 8th, 10th and 12th graders in Washington [state] are overweight or obese, according to a new University of Washington report that shows that the state continues to reflect an alarming trend of American kids getting fatter younger.
The report, released today, also shows that many of children's weight challenges begin at birth.

Infants born today are chubbier than those born 20 years ago, according to the report by the UW's Human Services Policy Center.
And nearly half of Washington mothers who gave birth in 2003 were overweight or obese before the pregnancy, which increases the baby's odds of becoming obese or diabetic.

In addition to being bad for people's health, obesity exacts a huge public-health price.
In Washington [state], four obesity-related chronic illnesses — cancer, heart disease, diabetes and lower respiratory disease — account for more than half of all adults deaths.
Public money pays for nearly half of the estimated $1.3 billion in obesity-related medical expenses in Washington.

People's own decisions is a major factor.
But another root cause is that American society has "made it easier to make unhealthy choices," says Lorna Stone, a vice president of the Washington Health Foundation, a Seattle nonprofit.

For instance, poorer people and minorities are more likely to be overweight or obese.
They also are more likely, Stone said, to live in neighborhoods without safe areas for walking or running.
They often lack grocery stores nearby, and the ones they have may carry limited choices of fresh and healthy foods at affordable prices.

SOURCE:
Seattle Times

Unfortunately we can not always have positive results, as has been
seen recently.

It is sad, and very shocking to me (especially for this state), that
there are that many overweight/obese children.

There are a great many things that have lead to the obesity epidemic
in not only this country (though more so) but the western world in
general.

Hopefully though, in the coming months and years we can stop this
unhealthy and honestly ugly trend that has been wrought on us, be
that through someones own decidisions, or do to lack of healthier
options.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Weather is a factor as well. People tend to get out and exercise much less.

Oh, and stop putting hormones into milk!

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I find it a little odd though...isn't Seattle the two time reigning champ of the "Fittest City in America?"

Go figure.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
I find it a little odd though...isn't Seattle the two time reigning champ of the "Fittest City in America?"

Go figure.

i saw new orleans on tv after the storm...

i was shocked how wide and fat all these "poor" people were.

3 times as wide as me...

i saw them waddling from side to side like ducks...

americans live like kings...

the simple thing to do is send them all to africa as hand on aid workers...
send them to somalia...ethiopia...
niger...

they can bring their superior wisdom and help the natives and lose weight at the same time.

this is the best way to help africa...send all the fat americans over to show them democratic processes and how to farm...wash...
how to make sanitation pipes..

how to make clean water using copper metal...

also the influx of fat americans will boost the local economies.

after 5 years the thin americans would return with a broadermind...

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Seventy percent of all Americans have been classified as being overweight. It stems from several different things.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Seventy percent of all Americans have been classified as being overweight. It stems from several different things.

YOU MEAN EATING TOO MUCH?

well just say it...dont be afraid...

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by esecallum

YOU MEAN EATING TOO MUCH?

well just say it...dont be afraid...

Well, that,but also...all of the garbage that they put into our food nowadays is a contributing factor as well.

top topics

join