It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Eel questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The story of a Eel larvae 6 feet long being found (this would make the adult well over 100 feet in length!!) is this true??

Lots of us have heard that story, but ...hmmmm

see here for more info: www.occultopedia.com...

[edit on 16-2-2007 by RUFFREADY]

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
There is no limit to the possible mutations the government has caused over the years, and as for the past reports of "Sea Serpents" there are depths of the ocean even the most complex races could'nt fathom so yes there is about a 93% chance that there are eels in the ocean that can reach 100ft+

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
93%? Talking about pulling stuff out of your ass.

I'm sure that if there are giant Eels out there, the government had nothing to do with them.

posted on Feb, 18 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Oh I would say its at least in the 80% rate. I think its very possible that there are giant eels in the ocean, that would really shock me if they discovered a 100ft eel.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY
The story of a Eel larvae 6 feet long being found (this would make the adult well over 100 feet in length!!) is this true??

On January 31, 1930, the Danish research ship; "The Dana", captured, (south of Africa's Cape of Good Hope), what they thought at the time was a six-feet long eel larva. This could have meant there were very long eels in the sea, since the typical eel larva is three inches long, while the adults can grow from about 4 feet to 16 feet long. In 1970, Dr. David G. Smith from the University of Miami, identified the larva found as that of the spiny eel, an eel-like fish whose larvae length is equal to its adult length, while the larvae length of the true eel is much shorter than its adult length.

www.reference.com...

Family Notacanthidae - deep sea spiny eels.
www.fishbase.org... - the image on the left is the larva, on the right the adult.

[edit on 19-2-2007 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I cant remember where the thread is and my searches have been in vane, but try considering the fact, and it is a fact that there are many breeds of creature (certain types of Eel are amongst them) that have young that are nearlly fully grown when born/hatched. Some spend much of there adolescence being larger than the adult versions.

Baby black birds for most of there adolescence are bigger than there parents. Your logic is simple and lacks any kind of proof or background research.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quackmaster
there are many breeds of creature (certain types of Eel are amongst them) that have young that are nearlly fully grown when born/hatched.

Examples? Most eels are tiny when they hatch.

The idea of eunuch eels - which remain in a lake and do not migrate to the sea to breed - has been postulated as a possible explanation for many lake monster, including those in Loch Ness, Loch Shiel and Loch Morar in Scotland.

forteanzoology.blogspot.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY

You are right. And, it isn't anything as exotic as mutation.

In a Marine Census Report at www.coml.org...

An average of 1,700 other animals and
numerous marine plants are also being
catalogued each year. CoML scientists
estimate that 210,000 marine life forms of all
types are currently known to science, but the final in existence could be 10 times that number.

If the larva are 4 ft long, the full grown eels will be HUGE. Period.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
"Any discussion of the giant eel theory must mention the six-foot long leptocephalus, or eel larvae, collected by the research vessel Dana in 1930. A normal leptocephalus is only three inches long. Some forty years after the Dana specimen was netted, however, it was reclassified as the larva of an eellike deep-sea fish belonging to a group called noticanthiforms. Known noticanthiforms don't change much in size during the metamorphosis from larva to adult: the ratio in this still-unidentified species is not certain."

found at:

www.strangemag.com...

Worth considering....

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Mmmmm, no response.

Period.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
[deleted]

[edit on 21-2-2007 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
just thought I'd throw this in here FYI : from a posting from Jerome Clark
on Cryptomundo.

"He stated that the eels measured 22, 28 and 40 feet respectively in length and that the largest one had a head and mouth over 18 inches wide."

full article here www.cryptomundo.com...

Looks like there might really be some big ones out there! Rare though.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Fisherman come across big'uns now & then. OK, not 100ft - but 100lb? Yes.

200lb? Yes indeed.

300lb+? Yep, off Iceland.

(Remember these next time you throw your hook in the sea...)

Caught in recent weeks

British Conger Club

One or two extra pics

[edit on 19/10/09 by pause4thought]

posted on Oct, 20 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
There are many creatures in the ocean that we didn't think existed only to discover that they are indeed real, for instance the giant squid. I'm not saying that giant eels definitely exist, but there is a small chance that they could

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join