It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High school is pointless

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by WINGxZERO

Wait til you get to college and have to pay for a bunch of classes and book's you don't even need for your major. "But it makes you a well rounded individual". At the expense of your and or, your parent's wallet.
If I were you I would ace every class in highschool because you will never get a free education after that.
Enjoy it while it last.
Because after that it's the real world. And I'm not talking about the MTV show!
Good Luck!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I smoked pot everyday in school all day and graduated the top of my class...

you shouldn't get in trouble for asking too many questions but in high school you do, Now adays in elementary schools they train children with bio metric scanners and hall passes rules to follow the heard, if everyone completed school there would be no free thinking only programmed thinking.
Is there a class that teaches human energy? why not ? because that wont make you work it would only make you understand what you are here for and its not working like a trapped slave 8 - 10 hours a day.
School is a just another way to disassociate the mind from reality another form of brain rott.
High school is a trap for your mind, a place to put your mind in check for the work force ahead.
All Capital gain get to the graduating line...
You will live your entire life never knowing you've been had its what sheep do

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
schools wayyy to boring..... simple enough, the day my school lets me take philosphy (a topical kind of corse) im going to be bored, i cant take the good corses anymore becuase i wont get a 2nd credit.. so here i am stuck in parenting ( and its the highlight of my semester) - i cant take philosphy becuase i dont meet the standards. - michael watson Sir winston Churchhill Cvi Canada.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WINGxZERO

For starters, high school would have taught you how to properly write.

It prepares you for college and preps you into choosing what you'd like to do when you grow up, the key is growing up and not finding reasons to hate school.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Personally, and I say this with personal knowledge from being in HS and my children and my friends children ..

Why do the public school system push the students with GPA's in the 1.5 on to the next grade up.. ?? It's a nightmare, but.. IMO..

The communists ARE here...but not physical form, just their system.. As it was said many years ago by Khrushchev(?) in addressing the UN(?) and speaking to the US.. when he took his shoe off and pounded it on the podium and said..

"If we can't take you from without, then we will take you from within!!"

I can't find the video .. but I've seen it before..

oh .. and online learning.. why can't we .. I did it in college and wasn't a problem..

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Go to bed earlier.

There ya go. False argument destroyed.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

They push the students with a 1.5 GPA because they should be able to read by then and they should be doing better in school. Much like me when I was at a public high school. I didn't know how to read well so I didn't do well. I also didn't get enough sleep. Those students need to be pushed.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   

ALso, you ar acting like you are purposely getting low grades, because its 'pointless'. That doesn't make the least bit of sense. If its so pointless, struggling against it is even more pointless.
reply to post by Nygdan

Why would it be pointless to struggle against something that's pointless?
School, no matter how pointless, causes problems in peoples' lives, and it needs to be changed.

If only we could get more people on board who weren't closed-minded, we could make a difference and then this "pointless struggle" would be worthwhile.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Would like to direct ya'll to a thread I made earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It regards 2 academically talented high schools in my hometown. Anyways, as for high school in general. I believe it has simply been degraded by catering to the lowest common denominator far too much. In alot of schools where I come from, you'll be lucky to get into Algebra II by the time they hand you a diploma.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
The purpose of high school is to complete the "programming".

No where is this clearer than when it comes to "learning" history. You would be SHOCKED to learn all the falsehoods and lies that are taught regarding American History.

It is quite obvious that American History classes are designed to attempt to give the students a sense of national pride. They fabricate stories, they omit important facts, and mold the myths they spew around what they believe will produce Patriotic Americans.

Pilgrims seeking religious freedom were the first to settle in the new world? nope...

We were friendly to the Native inhabitants from the get go, resulting in the First thanksgiving? Nope

Indians were savages, living primitive lifestyles in small clans? Nope,

Columbus Discovered America, not even close

Washington was the 1st president of the United States... nope...

The U.S. was a democratic country after we won the revolutionary war? Nope...

it goes on and on and on

I guess I'm going to have to start that thread I thought about where I "debunk" all the old school myths, lies and herofication of our History...

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
For what it's worth, here in Australia, completing high school is really only necessary if you are planning on going to University.
I thought that completing HS and having good grades would be a benefit in life, it was too an extent, I went to Uni, but I didn't complete my studies, (due to unforseen circumstances).
The amount of time that I spent at HS after the age of 16, when you can legally leave school, and then the amount of time I wasted at Uni, applying myself to studies, all for nothing. Thats the way things happen sometime, but if I knew what was going too happen back then, I would have left after Year 10 and taken up a trade.
I know a few people that left school to work in normal everyday jobs, while I was studying, they were making money, buying cars, buying houses, starting up a family.
Now with the high price of living and the cost of real estate, there is no way that I can purchase a house on a normal wage.
So thats where staying at HS gets you, if you do choose too complete HS, then go to Uni, but if you go to Uni, make sure that you complete it!

Fox.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by nj2day
The purpose of high school is to complete the "programming".

No where is this clearer than when it comes to "learning" history. You would be SHOCKED to learn all the falsehoods and lies that are taught regarding American History.

It is quite obvious that American History classes are designed to attempt to give the students a sense of national pride. They fabricate stories, they omit important facts, and mold the myths they spew around what they believe will produce Patriotic Americans.

Pilgrims seeking religious freedom were the first to settle in the new world? nope...

We were friendly to the Native inhabitants from the get go, resulting in the First thanksgiving? Nope

Indians were savages, living primitive lifestyles in small clans? Nope,

Columbus Discovered America, not even close

Washington was the 1st president of the United States... nope...

The U.S. was a democratic country after we won the revolutionary war? Nope...

it goes on and on and on

I guess I'm going to have to start that thread I thought about where I "debunk" all the old school myths, lies and herofication of our History...

I'm not sure which history class you had, but I quit hearing the first two after 3rd grade.

For all intents and purposes, Columbus discovered America. Yes the Vikings did before, and there's some interesting stuff as to whether or not the Chinese landed on the West Coast, but it didn't affect history too much.

Yes, Washington was the first President of the United States as their wasn't even an office of the Presidency in the Articles of Confederation.

Was it a Democratic country as we would think of one today? No. But it was alot closer than anything else at the time.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
hmmm high school, for the most part is pointless. Classes like gym ( although i believe this is good for the obese american society), computer tech and other electives merely take up time. I figured that there are three, maybe four basic classes that you need a year : math, science, english social studies.
In a typical 8-period a day high school, if students were only required to take these classes, school could be shortened to four hours. This MAY OR MAY NOT give students more time to do homework. after all, we all know homework isnt the number one priority for high school students in their free time. BUT here's the problem. The U.S. has been surpassed by numerous european and some asian countries in the educational standards. So the depatment of education feels the need to "require more classes to graduate and broaden the spectrum" of education. In no way, shape or form will high school ever conform to one student, you must conform to it. I am a high school senior in chicago. i thank god that i am graduating this year. chicago public schools had never had a snow day, depite yearly snowfall of about 3 feet. and when the weather in chicago hit below 30, expers advised for everyone to stay home, but yet all cps schools remained open. This is because every public school is the U.S gets money from the federal government for student attendance, so in a way, schools are run like a corporation. Anyways ill finish it off with this : Arnie Duncan ran CPS (chicago public schools) . The graduation rate in chicago :50 % (thats rounded up). ARNIE DUNCAN HAS NO BACKGROUND AS AN EDUCATOR. thats right. hes not even qualified to be a substitute teacher for p.e. I adore barack obama but i think he made the wrong decision by choosing arnie duncan to head the department of education. ARNIE DUNCAN IS NOW THE HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION FOR THE ENTIRE COUNTRY. say goodbye to your snow days.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join