It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underground Plumbing System Found on Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
A spacecraft orbiting Mars has recently discovered a deep canyon on Mars that suggests that water or liquid carbon once ran through the crevice. At some parts of the canyon it is deeper than the Grand Canyon and runs longer than the United States. Fractures in the bedrock suggest these were used like pipes for the liquid to run through. Timing is still a mystery, it could have been a million to a billion years ago that these crevices were made.

www.space.com
A Mars-orbiting spacecraft has spotted a subterranean natural plumbing system that might have ferried water beneath the surface of the red planet in the distant past.

New images taken by the HiRISE camera on NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) show hills and plateaus with alternating layers of dark and light colored rocks in Candor Chasma, one of several canyons that make up Valles Marineris, a sprawling Martian rift valley that is longer than the contiguous United States and up to seven times deeper than the Grand Canyon in places.

Cutting like a vertical scar across these light and dark bands in Candor Chasma are a series of linear cracks surrounded by “halos” of light-colored bedrock

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this could provide more clues to the mystery of "Was there once life on Mars?" Or maybe the indication of future life on Mars. I think this is a big breakthrough for space discovery. The site show some great pictures of the canyon and also a short video.

[edit on 15-2-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I would suggest you change the title from "underground plumbing system", to "subterranian waterways".

The systems are completely natural formations.

However, it is still very interesting, and may mean that liquid water
exists in underwater caverns even now.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Isn't this find of water on Mars in the vicinity of the famous "Face on Mars"?

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This seems very interesting. However, I agree with iori that the title is a tad misleading...

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Sorry if the thread title seems misleading. I just used the one provided in the story.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
It's not misleading. As a matter of fact, it's the title of the Space.com article. And it's totally valid. D_U, don't change a thing. It's intriguing and made me jump to the post, and I'm not at all disappointed.

There are so many different possibilities that this brings up. For example, we've been looking for life, or evidence of life on the surface. New, we know there is a good chance that there may be subterranean life on Mars. If there are small pockets of liquid water that remain, maybe some very simple organisms live around them. Who knows, maybe very complex organisms live around them. Maybe intelligent life lives around them. Who knows.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Rasobasi420, this article suggests life may actually be present on Mars as you stated. Thought this might be interesting to add.

Jimmy1880 as for the location, I'm not sure of that. I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject. Maybe someone else might know this answer.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dirty_underground
Sorry if the thread title seems misleading. I just used the one provided in the story.

No worries

I did get all excited though when I read the title...

Still, it is exciting, but not the thing I was originally excited about!

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
It's not misleading. As a matter of fact, it's the title of the Space.com article. And it's totally valid. D_U, don't change a thing. It's intriguing and made me jump to the post, and I'm not at all disappointed.

Umm... I'm not so sure about that. From the ATSNN guidelines:

Headline
You may not duplicate any headlines from existing source articles. Headlines must be in your own words and reflect an accurate ubiased presentation of the facts of your article.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Umm... I'm not so sure about that. From the ATSNN guidelines:

Headline
You may not duplicate any headlines from existing source articles. Headlines must be in your own words and reflect an accurate ubiased presentation of the facts of your article.

I think he used an extra space, in a nit picking mood eh?

How the heck could this even be biased, please do tell!

Regardless, great find dirty_underground, love the pictures of mars.

[edit on 15-2-2007 by Lysergic]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
jsobecky, if the title is such a problem I'm sure the mods will take it off. It is very similar to the article's title, but not duplicate. And it was an "ubiased" (I think the word you were going for was unbiased). I was simply trying to bring forth information to ATS that might otherwise go unnoticed. I am so sorry if this happened to mislead you based on the title.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dirty_underground
jsobecky, if the title is such a problem I'm sure the mods will take it off. It is very similar to the article's title, but not duplicate. And it was an "ubiased" (I think the word you were going for was unbiased). I was simply trying to bring forth information to ATS that might otherwise go unnoticed. I am so sorry if this happened to mislead you based on the title.

No, no d_u. Don't think it was in any way intended to demean your post. I only pointed it out because there are a lot of inexperienced posters who may not know the rules and reg's.

You've created a very interesting and important thread. I hope it leads to further knowledge on our part.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I wonder if Mars plumbers are better than Earth ones?

Do they actually arrive WHEN they said they would, Do they over charge for cheap parts and then refuse warrantee's when the leaks start........
Do they spend more time having smoking breaks and then leaving early to finish off a "cash" job around the corner...
(guess whos building a house at the moment and having to deal with tradesmen daily......
)

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Slaine01

I've found that the promise and lure of a six-pack after the day is done often brings amazing results.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Its gotta be VB mate.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Funny, I always thought them backwards Martians had outhouses with an Earth cut in the door.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jimmy1880
Isn't this find of water on Mars in the vicinity of the famous "Face on Mars"?

water ice and water vapor is known to exist on Mars, and it is widely accepted that water has likely flowed on the surface, at least in spurts, within the last five years.

To my knowledge, the famous "Face on Mars" is an optical illusion.

Water on Mars
Face on Mars

Curious methane levels have also been detected that suggest there may be life present in caverns beneath the surface. Given the massive natural landscapes on Mars and the potential to create huge caverns, and depending on the amount of liquid water present beneath the surface, there could be any number of conclusions drawn.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Interesting pic of geology at work.

The upper-most layers of rock in many areas of Valles Marineris on Mars have been stripped by erosion. It does look intriguing but these are natural gelogical formations.

Good find! Cheers!

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
There is water on Mars. Period.

There is ice caps on Mars.

There was life on Mars.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
They have been talking about this for years. Please don't act like its breaking news or something.

All planets have valleys like this, all had liquid of some kind wheither metal or water.

This has caused stuff like this to form on most planets. Show me some bacteria, or something that was alien made, tunnels, sewers, etc.

Everybody knows there is ice below the surface of Mars, it had to get there somehow.

Sorry man, I don't mean to take it out on you, we should already be Colonizing the place not guessing on this or that by now.

[edit on 16-2-2007 by Royal76]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join