It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School time in USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Anyone tell me why schools in US have to start so soon? Ok, I ride the bus to school so I always have to wake up at 6:00 AM in the morning to catch the bus, and then I come home about 4:00 PM and then I have to do some important work that I dont even have time to do homework, then I usually go to bed at 11:30 PM, so all I have is about 6 hours to sleep, then I have to wake up and go to school again, that's why I'm very tired everyday, and I'm failing all my classes, dont the people in the education system realize that the more tired the students are, the less knowledge they absorb?
Back in Vietnam, we all go to school at noon and come home about 5:00 PM, none of the students ever nap in class, so why can't school time in US be the same, wouldn't it benefit all the students?

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Hmm, well they stagger the starting times of elementary, middle and high schools so the buses can serve all of them. Where I went to school, the high school started earliest followed by the elementary then the middle. I guess the high school started so early so that students could work part time after school.

I feel your pain though, the only thing I ever had to serve detention for was being late!

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I did'nt know that any schools in the country had school days that long.

I am in High School, my school starts at 7:30am and ends at 2:00pm.

It works out fine for me.

As for why they don't start at noon, well because we'd have to be
in school until the early eveneing and no one wants to be in school
during that part of the day.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I did'nt know that any schools in the country had school days that long.

I am in High School, my school starts at 7:30am and ends at 2:00pm.

It works out fine for me.

As for why they don't start at noon, well because we'd have to be
in school until the early eveneing and no one wants to be in school
during that part of the day.

They said they get up at 6 and get home at 4. They didn't say they were in school that long.

School should probably run from 12-5, no lunch, a few breaks, everything would be taught. The kids have all meals served at home (saving the district money), you're normally more alert during this time....

I really could go on and on about the benefits to a 12-5 day.

The reason we don't have it? It would interrupt everything else that is 'standard'. Parents work schedules, taxes, teachers salaries, etc.

What is good for the child is not what is good for society.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sky1
They said they get up at 6 and get home at 4. They didn't say they were in school that long.

Well it seemed like they were implying that they were saying overall school time to me.

School should probably run from 12-5, no lunch, a few breaks, everything would be taught. The kids have all meals served at home (saving the district money), you're normally more alert during this time....

That's a terrible idea, lunch is not only a place for socializing, but
what about those students who are lwo income, and depend on
school lunch as there full real meal in the day.

The reason we don't have it? It would interrupt everything else that is 'standard'. Parents work schedules, taxes, teachers salaries, etc.

That,a nd the majority of kids would not want to go to school
those hours.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
show me one highschooler that would rather wake up for school at 6-7:00 AM as opposed to 11 AM and i'll show something you've never seen that i havn't thought of yet

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by biotic
show me one highschooler that would rather wake up for school at 6-7:00 AM as opposed to 11 AM and i'll show something you've never seen that i havn't thought of yet

Well, I am one of those people.

I'm in my last year of High School, and I like how it is now.
I would not want to go to school until 5pm, and I really don't
mind waking up early.

new topics

top topics

join