It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you die for your beliefs?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Yeh, well this is my post.

[edit on 14-2-2007 by thesneakiod]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I have very strong beliefs and i can honestly say yes i would die for them.Without a doubt.This is a no brainer for me.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
"Would you die for your beliefs?"
to put it bluntly, NO
What good would it do for me to finally learn what I've wanted to know for so long, if i die right after or during the time that i find out the truth.
Now if i were on my deathbed and for some reason i was told the answers to all my questions, I would definitely experience a sense of satisfaction.
Other than that, i would have to say no.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Is the question being posed, "Would I die for my beliefs?" or, "Would I risk my life in order to test the accuracy of my beliefs?" It sounds more like the latter than the former.

If it were the former, then I would like to believe that I would be willing to die for any of the following: peace, to save the lives or better the lives of others in some substantial way, to cure an otherwise incurable disease, to escape enslavement, to retain the right of creative expression, or to retain my freedom. Oddly enough, I would not kill for any of those reasons, or any other for that matter. I would also rather die than kill someone.

If it were the latter, then I do not feel I would risk my life simply out of the conceit that my beliefs must be correct. That is why I make a distinction between the two questions. The former asks whether I would die to do what I believe is right, whereas the latter asks if I would die simply out of sheer refusal to accept the possibility that I were wrong. I try to keep an open mind.

Edited for punctuation.

[edit on 14-2-2007 by AceWombat04]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Absolutely not.
Many of ours died for their beliefs in the past and MANY were proved to be wrong dying for it.

Everything we believe is something that was presented to us, indirectely we would be dying for somebody else and that's the main reason for not doing it.

It's just like military actions, generals send you to die because your country needs it. But the real thing is, you'd be dying in the battlefield just to please political interests of few.

And, honestly, that's sad. :/

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I would put my life on the line for those who I care for and for the way of life I have, after that well no.

I look after my own space.

Wolfie

Oh by the way of life I have, I mean my home and not what the government purport to what or how I live, politics and religion I would rather kill them than defend them.

[edit on 14/2/07 by Wolfie_UK]

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
if it presented the possability that i would die, then yes i would wager my life for my beliefs. If however it was 50/50, then no the odds are to great against me, and I would have better odds running into area 51 naked than playing russian roulette with cards for a yes/no answer. Yes i would die for my beliefs, however in the scenario you presented i would not.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Dying for convictions is quite easy... actually many people do so when going to war.

But to LIVE by your own beliefs and values... that's something a lot harder...

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MiahX
Does killing for my beliefs count?

Exactly. I would rather those who try to deny me my beliefs die.
Not all of my beliefs, just the ones that concern my Life, Liberty and Prosperity.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesneakiod

What beliefs do i have that are original and independant from all other peoples' beliefs?

All the beliefs i have are adopted beliefs from the cultures and societies and people i've met. We tend to accept beliefs as our own that fit into what we already accept as true ....

Well would you?

Am i being asked if i would die for the beliefs i have acquired from those who have influenced me? In which case, am i not being asked if i would die for the beliefs of others?

Well would you?

Yes, if such beliefs are compliant with what the truth is.

If, lets say the answer to the big question(whether they are actually here or not)was on the back of a card, would you honestly stake your life on the belief
that you think you know its true? You would obviously have to die if you were wrong, so would you risk it?

What risk is there if it is already known that you would not be totally believed without physical proof? But, regardless, the answer is yes.

My life means nothing when held in comparison to the potential of sharing any amount of new truth. I wonder how many ATSers would risk there life to share a piece of the jigsaw puzzle, even if they don't even comprehend the full importance of the piece they have. What is human behavior's variable? Would we/they hold out until they could see more pieces ... maybe...?

I'd bet there's not one person alive that would do it.

I dissagree. I bet there is one. Perhaps less than a zero, but would be a positive hero.

I think this question only applies to the stout believers.

Interesting thought.

Would a long lived skeptic be willing to die for their beliefs if they could offer undisputable proof that millions of people relied on their senses, and that their senses lied to them?

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
There is no way that I sacrifice my life to find out if Aliens exist or not.
I don't view Alienology as a religion or a form of partriotic belief.
It would be a little like asking me if I would die to find out how the Egyptions built the pyramids if the true answer were on the back of a card.
Aliens are just another mystery of life that intrigues us but I can't believe anyone would die to know. What good would the knowledge do you once you were dead anyway? It's not like you could even tell anyone about what you discovered. So the whole exercise would be a total waste of time and life.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
What good would the knowledge do you once you were dead anyway? .... So the whole exercise would be a total waste of time and life.

Assume for one moment that the truth is not compliant with selfishness.

Originally posted by Flighty
What good would the knowledge do you once you were dead anyway? .... So the whole exercise would be a total waste of time and life.

If one seeks the truth with their intentionality focused first and foremost upon themselves prior to anyone or anything else ....

then due to their intentionality, their truth shall ellude them.

This is my truth, whether or not it is yours is dependent upon what kind of dominant truth exists in the universe you are living in.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I would die trying to prove my beliefs, or at the very lowest level, seeing what I believe in... If I were told that I was to die after I reached an aliens home planet of some sort, then yes I would die.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Umm...the rest of my quote said....."It's not like you could even tell anyone about what you discovered. ..."
So it wasn't totally selfish. I was also thinking of others when summing up if it would be worth it or not.

I agree that everyone has their views. Which is why I made a stand alone post of what I think and didn't quote anybody particular with a different viewpoint.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Whats the difference between giving your life for god or aliens?
We have no proof of either. In fact, there is constantly new material to absorb
when it comes to aliens, all we have from god is scriptures from thousands of years ago that mean nothing (personally) in the modern world.

To me we have more evidence of alien existence than we do of the existence of god.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
As far as I am concerned apart from my children I have never met or found anything or anyone in this world that I would even contemplate dying for.

If it was a choice between me getting wiped out or the contents of an entire nation, then it is nation everytime.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Your question is somewhat confusing.

Person one holding the card: 1) alien?
2) human?

Question asked: not to obtain information, but, to test the mind of Person 2 (believer), a trick of satan, one would have to make the assumption that person one knows the answer and can validate or unvalidate the belief of person 2. It puts the power in the hand of the questioner who could lie just to kill the truth.

Belief is what you live, what you do everyday. As it is written "we die daily". The truth one holds runs deep, to the bone, to the marrow, to the blood. A living testimony.

[edit on 15-2-2007 by Siren]

[edit on 15-2-2007 by Siren]

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I would never die for my beliefs of any kind. If a terrorist held a gun to my head, I'd praise/pray to Allah in a last effort to make them not kill me. Your beliefs aren't worth anything if you're dead. Most of the time I have to already keep my beliefs inside and put on a front since they disagree with most people's beliefs anyway, so nothing new.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
Your beliefs aren't worth anything if you're dead. Most of the time I have to already keep my beliefs inside and put on a front since they disagree with most people's beliefs anyway, so nothing new.

Yeah, if you abandon your beliefs, you might remain alive one more day. On the other hand, if you're so spineless that you won't take a stand for your beliefs, then what value is your life? Again, quality of life beats quantity of life. Every time.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   

No...life isn't something to piss away on an ideal...

Would I die to protect a loved one? Absolutely.... I'd even risk my life to save a stranger, if I thought I had a realistic chance of success...but not just for a belief....

In the end, I know what I believe (whether UFOs, life, etc.), and that's fine by me...I don't need to die to "prove" it....and martyrdom is extremely overrated....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join