It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IS the universe expanding and other never-ending q?'s

page: 1

join
share:
nia

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   
if the universe is constantly expanding, where does the extra space come from?

is it really getting bigger? or is everything inside it, including us, getting smaller?

is there an edge or end to the universe or is it just that light started after the universe did and it's still just starting to bounce back towards us?

if the universe has no beginning, and no end, where is it's middle, and how can anything be "at the center of the universe"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
removed bolding

[edit on 13/2/07 by masqua]

nia

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   
come on people, i cant honestly be that boring!!

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nia
If the universe is constantly expanding, where does the extra space come from?

Well, we're not sure, since no one knows what's beyond the universe,
but the initial expansion was created by the big bang.

Is it really getting bigger? or is everything inside it, including us, getting smaller?

From what we know, yes, the univese is continually expanding, and actually it's doing so at an increasing rate.

Thinsgs don't grow smaller.

Is there an edge or end to the universe or is it just that light started after the universe did and it's still just starting to bounce back towards us?

Well there is the universal horizon, that is the farthest part of the
universe visible to us, and there is also the expansion horizon,
though you would'nt see what's beyond the horizon, think of being
inside a balloon and watching it expand.

If the universe has no beginning, and no end, where is it's middle, and how can anything be "at the center of the universe"?

The universe ha d a begining, the big bang, though I supose it could
depend on your definition of begining.

As with end, that really does depend, if you mean a physical end,
that is a finite shaoe, well it does'nt have one, but the universe will
eventually die, how that will happen is anyones guess, it may be via
the Big Freeze, which is the most likely in my opinion, the big crunch,
or it could be some other way.

The center of the universe would be the point that the big bang began
from, or the point that the distance to the edge of the visible universe
is equal in all directions.

[edit on 2/13/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Well there is the universal horizon, that is the farthest part of the
universe visible to us, and there is also the expansion horizon,
though you would'nt see what's beyond the horizon, think of being
inside a balloon and watching it expand.

Actually,it's like being on the surface of an expading balloon. No matter where you are on that balloon, all of the parts of the balloon are expanding and moving away from you at the same rate. Now try (but you can't) imagine the surface of that balloon was not 2 dimensional.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
the fact you post questions like this on a website such as this does nothing but demostrate how shallow - for lack of a better word - you are. How is anyone to know the answer to such questions with ANY certainty? If you wish to gain a better of the universe, fix yourself a glass of green tea and swallow a few mushrooms. Sorry if that came off a bit rude. The universe is cheese my friend, cheddar most likely.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by oxygen_kills
the fact you post questions like this on a website such as this does nothing but demostrate how shallow - for lack of a better word - you are.

If anyone is shallow, it is you.

Nia has shown both intelligence and inquisitiveness by asking.

How is anyone to know the answer to such questions with ANY certainty? If you wish to gain a better of the universe, fix yourself a glass of green tea and swallow a few mushrooms. Sorry if that came off a bit rude. The universe is cheese my friend, cheddar most likely.

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of any illegal activities such as drug use, drug paraphernalia, hacking, sexual relations with minors, etc. are strictly forbidden.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
Actually,it's like being on the surface of an expading balloon. No matter where you are on that balloon, all of the parts of the balloon are expanding and moving away from you at the same rate. Now try (but you can't) imagine the surface of that balloon was not 2 dimensional.

Well I was more or less meaning that it would'nt be like the horizon
like what you would see if you loook at the ocean.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nia
if the universe is constantly expanding, where does the extra space come from?

From 'inside' ie, every galaxy is moving away from every other galaxy that they are not gravitationally bound to.

is it really getting bigger? or is everything inside it, including us, getting smaller?

It's all relative... I'm voting for bigger.

is there an edge or end to the universe

No, no edge. see: Ask an Astrophysicist

or is it just that light started after the universe did and it's still just starting to bounce back towards us?

Not sure what you mean here so... no.

if the universe has no beginning, and no end, where is it's middle, and how can anything be "at the center of the universe"?

Nope, no middle, no center and no edge those are all common mis-conceptions. Probably covered on that Ask an Astrophysicist link I gave above.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Apologies, but I have an a thing for green tea and Portabella mushrooms. I agree, inquisativness is definatly a good trait to posess. I just thought it was a bit dimwitted to expect anyone to know the answer. But I really don't expect that she was neccesarily seeking a specific. Just a little attention from people like myself who are bored enough to comment. I'm not trying to be mean. Simply blunt. I don't see any substance to these balloon theories, as there is always something outside the balloon.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
No, I actually think it is a good question to see what others have to say. I have watched a great Director and Artist that designs characters for Pharmaceutical companies (the flying bee and more), and he has put together some GREAT videos to show how the earth is growing. He uses actual NASA images with his graphic programs and takes it from there. His name is Neal Adams, and he seems to know what he is talking about. Check out his site shown below and I also added the important links on the site that relate to this thread. I would love to hear what geologists have to say. I am NOT a Geologist and cannot debate this, but I am very interested since the first time I have listened to him on Coast to Coast AM

Neal Adams Site

Neal Adams Growing Earth Videos

Be sure to check out his "More Science" page ... very interesting. Oh, and BTW he has a REAL challenge for any Geologist out there. Find it here. A Challenge for any Geologist on Earth

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by oxygen_kills
I don't see any substance to these balloon theories, as there is always something outside the balloon.

That's how scientists explain it to layman when they can't use mathematics. That's why soylent green is purple said, after using the balloon analogy: "Now try (but you can't) imagine the surface of that balloon was not 2 dimensional."

Sorta like Hawking's 'tarp analogy' used to describe space/time re: Einstein's general relativity, see here.

It's a 2d example of a 4d reality... that help?

[edit on 13-2-2007 by Rren]

nia

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   

I just thought it was a bit dimwitted to expect anyone to know the answer.

i already "knew" what i believe to be the answers, and i dont think i've ever met a nuclear scientist [...thats me...] that was dim-witted.

But I really don't expect that she was neccesarily seeking a specific.

my gender is male, so i am not a "she".... and no, not really looking for specifics, just got to reading another thread, and i got to thinking [that's what people with IQ's higher than their age do, just so you know] anyways, i said to myself... "Self, i wonder what other people think on the matter of the universal expansion? If their capable of thiking at all."

and when put in a different frame of refrence, there is really no answer to any of these, hence the "never ending"

IS the universe expanding and other never-ending q?'s

ex: from the universes point of view, it's not changing in size, so we must be getting smaller.
ex2: when your driving down the highway and you pull up next to a truck, if you decrease your speed to that of the truck, it would appear to a passenger that the truck was not moving [aka: in relation to your car, aka: with a frame of reference based upon your car]. but both vehicles would actually be moving at [relatively] high speeds.

to quote somebody that im sure was imortant, and probably died long ago: "everything's relative"

[edit on 14-2-2007 by nia]

new topics

top topics

join