It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Double Helix Nebula Near Center of the Milky Way

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

The double helix nebula. The spots are infrared-luminous stars, mostly red giants and red supergiants. Many other stars are present in this region, but are too dim to appear even in this sensitive infrared image.

The double helix nebula appears on the right side of the reddish inset image; the larger-field greenish image is a shorter-wavelength infrared image made recently with the IRAC camera on the Spitzer Space Telescope by Susan Stolovy and her colleagues. The spots are infrared-luminous stars, mostly red giants and red supergiants. Many other stars are present in this region, but are too dim to appear even in this sensitive infrared image.

source

Astronomers report an unprecedented elongated double helix nebula near the center of our Milky Way galaxy, using observations from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope. The part of the nebula the astronomers observed stretches 80 light years in length. The research is published March 16 in the journal Nature.

"We see two intertwining strands wrapped around each other as in a DNA molecule," said Mark Morris, a UCLA professor of physics and astronomy, and lead author. "Nobody has ever seen anything like that before in the cosmic realm. Most nebulae are either spiral galaxies full of stars or formless amorphous conglomerations of dust and gas — space weather. What we see indicates a high degree of order."

The double helix nebula is approximately 300 light years from the enormous black hole at the center of the Milky Way. (The Earth is more than 25,000 light years from the black hole at the galactic center.)

mod edit: Please read this link-ATTN: Image Size Guidelines

[edit on 12-2-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
beautiful picture a1ex
, can any one say DNA, its amazing how we can find depictions of organic life millions of miles away

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonine
beautiful picture a1ex
, can any one say DNA, its amazing how we can find depictions of organic life millions of miles away

this quote caught my attention:
"Nobody has ever seen anything like that before in the cosmic realm. Most nebulae are either spiral galaxies full of stars or formless amorphous conglomerations of dust and gas -- space weather. What we see indicates a high degree of order"

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
maybe some one of some higher intelligence did create this for us to find even though its hard to rap you mind around it the idea is very exciting.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I don't see what indicates order there.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
the double helix does johnmike i'm going to have to do a little research my self but i don't believe anything of the double helix fashion has ever been found. true it may be a fluke of nature but the idea is still fun to toy with

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
I don't see what indicates order there.

www.space.com...

While organic compounds have been discovered in meteorites that have landed on Earth, this is the first direct evidence for the presence of complex, important biogenic compounds in space. So far evidence suggests that PANHs are formed in the winds of dying stars and spread all over interstellar space.

"This stuff contains the building blocks of life, and now we can say they're abundant in space," Hudgins said. "And wherever there's a planet out there, we know that these things are going to be raining down on it. It did here and it does elsewhere."

Some scientists even think that a Martian meteorite found in Antarctica shows signs of extraterrestrial bacteria and that sugar-loaded asteroids may have fed early life on our planet.

I see a galaxy the resembles the DNA helix ...Coincidence? Perhaps... you make your own Judgement

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
nothing really surprises me any more when it comes to life on other planets, it may not me extremely intelligent but it is out there theres no doubt in my mind about that.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Yet more evidence that the gravitational model of the cosmos is incorrect or at best incomplete. I highly recommend reading up on the electric model of the universe. the models contained therin are incredibly illuminating and seem to offer a more complete picture of the universe than currently accepted models. We may finally be emerging from a gravitational dark age.

Here is a link to get you guys going
www.thunderbolts.info...

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Orwells Ghost
We may finally be emerging from a gravitational dark age.

www.thunderbolts.info...

Gravitational dark age.. I could not have chosen better words.....

Information!

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
thanks Orwells iv been looking over the material you posted and its very interesting ill read it tomorrow and start a thread about it you never know maybe the bright minds here at ATS will take it some where exiting.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Great picture.

I believe I read somewhere that our solar system was *seeded* by the Milky Way in some fashion.

I find it interesting to note also that the double helix is also similar to the cadducus, the serpents entwined on the spinal shaft of man, this illuminated galaxy picture puts me in mind of the promised illumination by the Kundalini manifestation of the pineal gland.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Wow.

Isnt that spiffy? This imagery has set me off on a chain reaction of thought.

I'll have to post later when I know what the hell to say about this.

Wow.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja

Isnt that spiffy?

Wow.

Spiffy and Wow, great choice of words. I like the way you think!!!

Honest words.

It will be interesting to see where this takes you. It is always fun when a subject can open up wider upon it's discussion.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways

Originally posted by damajikninja

Isnt that spiffy?

Wow.

Spiffy and Wow, great choice of words. I like the way you think!!!

Honest words.

It will be interesting to see where this takes you. It is always fun when a subject can open up wider upon it's discussion.

lol I just didnt know what else to say... i mean. Wow! lol It just seems to fly in the face of reason... giant DNA coil in the center of our galaxy... etc etc. Man. Just so many things to think about there.

Ok Im back to Wow again.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
ah energy is so beautifull.

Thanks for the pics.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I see where this thread is headed...

- Staff of Brahma

The picture of the double-helix nebula reminds me of the Sirius star system, which is actually a trinity of stars, the third being a brown dwarf (?). Anyways, the main 2 stars spiral around eachother and create a double helix shape as they fly thru space.

Sirius was very important to the Egyptians, along with Orion, who's belt points down-leftwards towards the star. They represented Isis and Osiris (with Horus being the third part of the trinity). And the center of the galaxy is important because it represents the glactic Cross of the suns path thru the galaxy; on which the Sun of God is crucified. The arrow from the Sagittarius constallation used to point exactly at the center, and now is only a few degrees off.

Interesting stuff to say the least.

(So many edits, if it worked the first time I wouldnt have to re-edit!)
[edit on 2/12/2007 by ViolatoR]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   
usually i have something off topic or dumb or very informative to say.....but im pretty much in awe about this...cant say much else

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I absolutely love space pics, these are especially wonderful. As huge as Our universe is pictures like these make Me feel connected to it. I can't help but to feel assured in My soul that good or bad, life plays out the way it's supposed to, that there are no accidents. I believe the Mayan prophecy includes something quite similar to these pics. Everyones heard of the Mayan calender & the year 2012. Around this time the universe is supposed to align and 'unlock' itself. The Mayans believe that the tree of life extends itself up and into The Milky Way. That TMW is the portal or door of sorts. I'll have to dig up some old notes to give the specifics and will post more later.

Peace. K*

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
If the Universe "unlocks" itself, what's going to happen to all those people who are closed minded? Are they going to deny the truth as they always have?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join