It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

homeless people issues/questions

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I didn't know they had right wing republican conservatives in Australia?

O.K. thats cool but quit giving one liners and help!!! I am not from Australia but, if you want to help solve the problem feel free to get involved!

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Homelessness is a big problem in this country and, like others have said, these people usually have an addiction and/or mental illness. One thing that you have to understand though it that some of these people like to live on the street. We have a guy here in my town that is somewhat of a local celebrity and he is homeless. Someone here in town set up a website for him, www.willieyork.com. Check it out.

As for these stories about ERs turning homeless people away, that is just not true. We do everything needed for someone who is homeless that we do for someone with insurance. The story on the first page about the homeless guy with the broken leg being turned away is probably not the truth. Not that the poster is lying but the homeless guy is. If someone is homeless, usually their Drs office is the ER. Using the broken leg guy as an example; we would x-ray it, splint the leg if broken, and arrange for a follow-up appt. with an ortho doc. Most of the time people like this do not follow-up for whatever reason and come back to the ER, where there is nothing more we can do than what we already did. Usually, its the drug-seekers that we turn away or treat them without the use of narcotics.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by scooler1
Homelessness is a big problem in this country and, like others have said, these people usually have an addiction and/or mental illness. One thing that you have to understand though it that some of these people like to live on the street. We have a guy here in my town that is somewhat of a local celebrity and he is homeless. Someone here in town set up a website for him, www.willieyork.com. Check it out.

As for these stories about ERs turning homeless people away, that is just not true. We do everything needed for someone who is homeless that we do for someone with insurance. The story on the first page about the homeless guy with the broken leg being turned away is probably not the truth. Not that the poster is lying but the homeless guy is. If someone is homeless, usually their Drs office is the ER. Using the broken leg guy as an example; we would x-ray it, splint the leg if broken, and arrange for a follow-up appt. with an ortho doc. Most of the time people like this do not follow-up for whatever reason and come back to the ER, where there is nothing more we can do than what we already did. Usually, its the drug-seekers that we turn away or treat them without the use of narcotics.

Man, I love the aussies, We (the U.S.) have the same problem as the U.K., Australia , and anyone else in the world. We depend on fossil fuels and it gets us into trouble. Please give something optimistic
I understand your point but can we focus on a solution rather than shortcomings?

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Shizzle,

I don't understand the corrolation of homelessness and fossil fuel dependance. Could you elaborate?

As to a solution for homelessness, I don't know. There are quite a few services here in my town that cater to those that are less fortunate. I agree that there needs to be more done though. Most of the time it comes down to choice. Services that homeless people choose to use usually stay around, those that are not used are not funded and close.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
scooler1, Please read page one of the thread the correlation will become more apparent. Not giving a hard time but you asked.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Oh, right, your ethanol crop plan. I got it. That is a great plan. I hope you can find some financial backing. Most large companies would probably shy away from this but I am sure there is someone out there that would throw some money your way.

What part of the country are you thinking about putting this plan into action?

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
here

scooler1 if you have any more questions please read and post here.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
How come so many Vet's have been marginalized, ignored. There should be a place for them. They served us, we should we serve them.

[edit on 12-2-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
How come so many Vet's have been marginalized, ignored. There should be a place for them. They served us, we should we serve them.

[edit on 12-2-2007 by Royal76]

I couldn't agree more

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
royal isnt that why they have the vfw if not excuse my igonorance im only 13 goin on 14 tommorow, yea but grover thats good u got a house again, and ur proof homeless people can be successes in life god bless u

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It is so easy to visualize the homeless as wino's and addicts and the mentally ill and the lazy.... the sad reality though is while those elements are there, more and more shelters are being filled by families whom this economy has passed by.

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The simple fact of the matter is that there is no "middle class" anymore, i.e. , your "average Joe". The truth is now the econimical dividend is black and white. Rich and poor. Those once"middle class" families are now in the poor bracket where yes, commonly one/two paychecks away from eviction and homelesness.

The "system" is geared for exactly that result. "The rich get richer and the poor die tryin". Truth. The poor will eventually "weed themselves out" so to say. I truly believe that this is the "Elite-ist" way. Movie stars making 20 million dollars a film ? Donald Trump, Oprah, yeah- good for them, but they are so not taxed to the likes of you and I.

To address the Homelessness situation is simple. This may sound abrasive but it is an opinion. There should not be ONE homeless man or woman in this country (unless BY choice- which they would be shipped off to an Island).

1. Quit sending foreign aid and resources to other countries. We can't even take care of our OWN. People, don't send money to charities that are'nt taking care of Americans. Sorry !! Hey, Brad & Angelina, hey a nice thing you're doing but there are plenty of American babies that could use a good home.

2. BUY AMERICAN !!! simple.

3. Take a moment if you have a dollar or two. HELP when you can. Offer them a ride in a taxi to a shelter if you have the money. Offer to buy food, don't just give money.

4. Do not pass these people off as worthless. They are PEOPLE.

I am a veteran and I am homeless ( I live in a hotel with my girlfriend. I made bad investments and had bad luck with jobs before deployment. I have evictions so I'm pretty much condemmed in the renter's market.)

Choices more than bad luck led me to these consequences, but I am happy, Blessed, and confident, working for something better !!

I could complain about how illegals get a free meal ticket here, but it would just be rhetoric...

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
hey shizzle i think you should make a website about your idea, and make a name for it and maybe try to get it to organization status just a thought

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join