It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian's comments on Subservience to the USA

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cthulwho

Also, Melbourne_Miltia for the past 30 years it's been becoming obvious that manufacturing and some trade positions have been drying up. This is because we cannot compete with cheap labour from asian countries. This doesn't mean that unemployment has been increasing rather the labour force has shifted. Look at the numerous jobs that have been created in the computer industry for example.

Sorry mate, you are dead wrong on this one. How the hell could trade positions have been drying up over the past 30 years? There have been a couple housing booms in that time and there has always been the need for tradesmen. The reason the trade position have dried up in the last ten years was because of the Liberal parties policies of closing technical colledges that offered students the opportunity to get into a trade at an earlier age.

But getting rid of these colledges the government has in effect wiped out a generation of possible tradesmen, thus increasing demand for a tradesman and them putting their prices up.

You mentioning of the Australian economy overheating due to the resources boom is correct, but where I would beg to differ with you is here - the natural resources sector is and has been taking off like a rocket, employing many workers on good money in Western Australia, thus increasing housing demand and prices over there. That is totaly understandable.

What doesnt make sense is that although the states with the large natural resource mining operation are doing very well indeed, the states on the east and south east of the country are not doing as well, due mainly to the drought.

What the government is doing that is wrong is using the spending and income generated in those mining areas to justify the entire economy as doing very good and "overheating", which is the perfect excuse to raise interest rates. It is NOT, and I repeat NOT cause by the average person spending too much when they go shopping. This is where the government is rolling us!

Using the mining sector as the excuse for an overheated economy, thus justifying raising interest rates that are hurting alot more than they ever have before. Did you know that there are many more "mortgagee sales/auctions" nowadays than there ever was at the height of the recession in 1991 ?

How can Johhny Howard go on television and lie to the Australian People and say that we are all doing so well when it is not true at all. Why doesnt he tell the truth and say we are kickin arse in the mining industry and making alot of money, but unfortunately for you, Im going ro use this as an excuse to raise rates and get more money of you people, as well as the "tax upon tax" that the petrol costs bring in to me.

This government is not and has not ever been for the people and for the benefit of the people ever. This government is only interested in making money for themselves and the corporations and the American Ideals of Governance are clearly rubbing off here aswell.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Great post Melbourne_Militia, I agree with you that the government should be offering more trade positions at technical colleges. As a result of not having enough skilled workers to fill these positions we've had to resort to the "guest worker" program. This may be a government conspiracy to lower the wages of the working class and enabling us to partially compete with other low wage countries.

The only point I want to pick you up on is interest rates. The government doesn't control interest rates these are set by the reserve bank, which is independent of the government.

The reserve bank increases interest rates if the economy is overheating (due primarily to the resources sector), this has the effect of slowing down the economy. The worst thing that could have possibly happened to the Liberal government was the lifting of interest rates by the reserve bank. This is because obviously people get peeved at higher living costs and vote against the government.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   
We need everyone in our community.. skilled, unskilled, academic.. Its just crap whats going on. Jobs should not be allowed to be outsourced to overseas people. but how can it be made illegal when manufacturing has been so stuffed from lifts in tarriffs so to allow manufacturing and production to go OS also.. Libs have screwed Australia.. Labour will too.. C'mon people I want a referendum about many more things that happen rather than relying on these BLEEPITY BLEEP BLEEP BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEPS of politicians to make decisions for us. Its getting ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Led by God!! He is going to be the "moderator" of Johnnies fair pay commission... SERIOUSLY HOWARD>. SIF THATS GUNNA GO DOWN WITH US!! DH

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Actually one major thing about US politics that's crept into Australia that I really don't like is the influence of the church. I mean Tony Abbot as health minister? give me a break, whenever some new medicine comes out that could potentially benefit millions he outlaws it saying we "shouldn't play god". Wouldn't the use of all kinds of medical treatment be considered playing God? I think if he ever needs heart bi-pass surgery or something we should disallow it stating "sorry Tony, that would be playing God".

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join