It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Acid Reflux/Gerd

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Some may think this is silly but it is a big deal.
I recently went camping with my family and ran out of my Nexium and we ate BBQ ribs from the camp fire. Long story short I was up all night folded over in my tent willing to take anything to get rid of my acid reflux. I know more and more people nowadays have this disease and in a survival situation where you can not get a script right away there are things that can be taken to put out the fire in your stomach/throat.
Some of the things i know of is Apple cider vinegar,baking soda and water,pickle juice,small sips of water every few minutes and if available Rolaids or Tums.
If anyone has any other natural remedy please pitch in.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Im not sure this would be applicable in a survival situation. You are going to have bigger things on your mind!

However i dont suffer from this so i cant really comment on how much suffering this could cause. If your really worried about this then just pack more over the counter stuff, its not exactly weighty.Packing everything you would need to make a natural cure is going to add more bulk to your kit.

Even if you plan to find these when out and about finding specific things may be impossible if your in a SHTF situation, or even just out camping.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   
It can be a nasty problem if you are eating whatever you can and are not in a situation where you can pick and choose what you eat. Anyone that has this can testify that it can be a problem in a survival situation. And if you do not have this problem than good for you because it sucks. The reason I brought this up is because I was hoping people would chime in on natural remedies that can get you through until you can re up on meds.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Anything that takes your mind off of what you're trying to do (survive) is definately a big deal. This could be a deal breaker, seriously.

Vinegar works - just a little bit. A lot of vinegar can cause more problems - your body will "dump it" if you have too much at one time. I think it's about 8 ounces that makes your body go into "dump" warp. You will vomit until it is bile. Then you will have diarrhea and bile vomit all night long. Not too pretty. The next day you will be exhausted and feel like you should have died.

Just my 2 cents for ya. I hope it helps.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I did not know this
I have used two tablespoons per 8 0z glass of water and it worked. I have heard of people chewing mint leaves to relieve the pain but have not confirmed this myself.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Not to harp on about this, but where do you see yourself coming across mint, or vinegar in a survival situation. If its a true survival situation then you will be in a mess already, finding items to cure heartburn will be towards the bottom of a very long list.

If you are worried about it pack a few packs in your kit to atleast give you time to sort out the basics. Im not saying this is a bad idea to find natural methods because your pover the counter stuff wont last forever, however you must give yourself time to get set with the more inportant things first.

Just my thoughts on the matter, as i said before i dont suffer so cant comment on how bad it is.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Milk can actually ease the condition, when I get pyrosis a glass of milk helps me get to sleep. I'm not sure if it's the consistency, milk is an emulsion so that may explain it.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I used to have Acid Reflux. I used to take a medicine called Protonix. It was so bad, I couldn't even fall asleep, just kept sucking back spit to try and 'cool it off'

One day I decided to go Vegan. It had nothing to do with the Heart Burn, but after a month I noticed I didn't have any heart burn (you could still feel it usually even when on the medicine). So I stopped taking the medicine and I no longer get heart burn. It's amazing!

I'm not sure if being Vegan is the cause or just a correlation. But I think it's the cause of its dissapearnce, because my sphincter was loose, and there's no way it could have tightened. My body just doesn't need to produce as much acid anymore.

I doubt you'd want to go to that kind of extreme (vegan), but I bet if you cut out a lot of meat, it would help (meat takes a lot of energy and acid to digest).

I mean, I eat the spiciest Thai food I can get my hands on, and I still don't get heart burn anymore.

Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingman77
Milk can actually ease the condition, when I get pyrosis a glass of milk helps me get to sleep. I'm not sure if it's the consistency, milk is an emulsion so that may explain it.

milk is not good idea because whilst it is an alkaline, it actually turns acid in your stomach.

if you can get it, use natural chalk and ground it up in water to drink. this will work wonders on your stomach.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Mustard works very good, a teaspoon full. It is the vinegar in it that makes it work and it isn't as invasive as straight vinegar.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by manta
Not to harp on about this, but where do you see yourself coming across mint, or vinegar in a survival situation. If its a true survival situation then you will be in a mess already, finding items to cure heartburn will be towards the bottom of a very long list.

If you are worried about it pack a few packs in your kit to atleast give you time to sort out the basics. Im not saying this is a bad idea to find natural methods because your pover the counter stuff wont last forever, however you must give yourself time to get set with the more inportant things first.

Just my thoughts on the matter, as i said before i dont suffer so cant comment on how bad it is.

This is true about not finding vinegar in a survival situation in the wilderness but In a situation of urban survival it would come in handy.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arcane Demesne
I used to have Acid Reflux. I used to take a medicine called Protonix. It was so bad, I couldn't even fall asleep, just kept sucking back spit to try and 'cool it off'

One day I decided to go Vegan. It had nothing to do with the Heart Burn, but after a month I noticed I didn't have any heart burn (you could still feel it usually even when on the medicine). So I stopped taking the medicine and I no longer get heart burn. It's amazing!

I'm not sure if being Vegan is the cause or just a correlation. But I think it's the cause of its dissapearnce, because my sphincter was loose, and there's no way it could have tightened. My body just doesn't need to produce as much acid anymore.

I think its different for some people. I get it more from juices and fruits and even water sometimes on an empty stomach. Also in a survival situation in the wilderness sometimes meat may be the easiest thing to get depending on your skills. ( your better at trapping and hunting than at biology).

I doubt you'd want to go to that kind of extreme (vegan), but I bet if you cut out a lot of meat, it would help (meat takes a lot of energy and acid to digest).

I mean, I eat the spiciest Thai food I can get my hands on, and I still don't get heart burn anymore.

Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arcane Demesne

Just a thought.

darn double post!

Its different for everyone. I get it from fruit and veggie juices and even water. As far as not eating meat If your skills are hunting or trapping and not in biology and meat is all you can get than you would suffer greatly depending on your situation.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality

Its different for everyone. I get it from fruit and veggie juices and even water. As far as not eating meat If your skills are hunting or trapping and not in biology and meat is all you can get than you would suffer greatly depending on your situation.

Well, yeah. Of course genetics takes a roll in it. Usually, though, when you have to much of something, you become allergic to it. Or your body starts to deal with it differently. And it follows through your children as well.

One example being corn:

www.babyandkidallergies.com...

Nutritionists are asking people to decrease their intake of high fructose corn syrup significantly. It is one of the major causes of obesity and diabetes today. Your body does not process fructose like it does sugar. When you consume fructose, your body processes it like it would fat, rather than turn it into energy as it would with sugar. It makes you more hungry, which makes you eat even more

also,
www.newstarget.com...

And, like you said, everyone is different. If the OP gets heartburn by ingesting certain foods. He should stop eating certain foods for certain lengths of time, to find the culprit. I'm pretty sure almost all illnesses (aside from crazy bacteria and viruses, like ebola or something similar) are caused by diet. When people eat too much of something, they and their future children will become allergic to it.

Another case being Crohn's Disease.

en.wikipedia.org...'s_disease

Many environmental factors have also been hypothesized as causes or risk factors for Crohn's disease. Diets high in sweet, fatty or refined foods may play a role. A retrospective Japanese study found that those diagnosed with Crohn's disease had higher intakes of sugar, fat, fish and shellfish than controls prior to diagnosis.[24] A similar study in Israel also found higher intakes of fats (especially chemically modified fats) and sucrose, with lower intakes of fructose and fruits, water, potassium, magnesium and vitamin C in the diets of Crohn's disease sufferers before diagnosis,[25] and cites three large European studies in which sugar intake was significantly increased in people with Crohn's disease compared with controls.

If people have indigestion, or heart burn, or start to become a allergic to certain foods...it's because they, or their ancestors, eat too much of it.

I can vouch for that because as I was a little kid, I pretty much NEVER ate vegetables, aside from maybe corn or carrots one a week in small portions. My mom was the same way. Eventually, I got horrible indigestion and heart burn. Once I switched my diet....BAM, gone.

again, just my $.02

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
to kill heartburn your gonna need to neutralize the acid. a base will neutralize and acid.

I suggest soaking some wood ashes in water and drinking that. wood ashes have potassium hydroxide, as long as you don't guzzle alot it should kill your heartburn instead of you.
btw drinking vinegar is silly. vinegar is an acid you will need 10000 times as much vinegar as water to reduce the PH of your throat

top topics

join