It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows media video problem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Damn I hate my PC, it seems every other day I find problems.
Well now I have found, even though I have media player 11 downloaded I cant play windows media videos, is there a patch or something anyone knows of.
Much appreciate your help and thank you...

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I can't even open windows media player from my desktop.
I have win XP media center, I konw there is problems with this but apparently all I need is Rollup 2, I can't download it.

Does anyone know what I can do???

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Well I'm using wmp11 with no problems ( so far) Have you tried reinstalling it? Maybe there was a corruption during the installation process.
You also mentioned that there was certain file types you couln't play.

Have you gone to Tools--> Options-->File Types and selected them all
?

I do remember having similar (although not quite the same) problems with WMP10 and I got rid of it and put version 9 back on.
Until version 11 came out anyway.

Keep us updated on your progress.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I have just gone into add remove programs after reinstalling it and found about 20 or so Hotfix files like "Hotfix(KB888795)" but there all different and they weren't there before, any ideas???

[edit on 5-2-2007 by chris01621]

OK so I removed wmp 11 now it's gone back to 10 which gets an internal application error, but there is now about 40 wmp hotfix and security updates in add remove progs, what am I doing to make that happen????

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I have completely removed and reinstalled WMP 11 and downloaded
rollup 2, yet I still can't open WMP, anyone know why this might be plz???

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Join the club and enjoy the ride, you're having the "Micro$oft experience"

I know these facts: got wmp 11 can't run .wmv's and now can't open the thing from desktop, running MCenter.

Can you spill us this?

- Did anything else happened when both problems occur(ed)? error codes, general randomness etc.
- Is media center up to date?
- Software change after last good wmp session?
- Reinstalled the software from the same download?

Here's some things to play with in the meantime before you post other info

+ check the download integrity ---->sfvCheck (drag the file on to it and read the output)
+ article 925704 and anything else that gets turns your head from the wmp11 KB
+ note the last system restore slot but don't do it just yet
+ go outside and scream "serenity now"

Just to add, may I suggest an alternative?

media player classic @sourceforge.net (you want MPC 6.4.9.0)

Its has less bling but all the bells and whistles + stability:

*filters and video effects
*native codec control
*variety of add ons and extensions
*can add custom subtitles and dubbing
*lots off cool things like splitters and distortion of image in real time
*is not written by programmers with a gun stuck to their head

It's amazing what can happen when you steal your friends idea and market it to hell and back.

[edit on 5-2-2007 by Selmer2]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Selmer2

- Did anything else happened when both problems occur(ed)? error codes, general randomness etc.

apparently chris has been having a lot of trouble with his computer lately...

www.belowtopsecret.com...

poor guy needs some help real bad.

[edit on 2/5/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Chris are you still using IE6? I noticed in one of your other threads that you were.
The version of WMP 11 isn't by some chance one of the Beta releases that were floating around some time ago?
Sorry just going through a couple of options here.

You could try running sfc /scannow
See what happens there.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Selmer, In all honesty I don't think I ever used WMP, I have real player which play's most things but not what I wanted to do so it's just never really been a problem until I nedd it.

Madhatter, yes I am stil using IE6 and I don't think WMP was a beta version...

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
If you've been through this:

Can you spill us this?

+ check the download integrity ---->sfvCheck (drag the file on to it and read the output)

i'd like to add if you don't have administritive rights this could happen, but im assuming this is your pc.

If your still in the same place then I am stumped maybe the others have more ideas

End of the road for me is to take this to techrepublic.com question forum. It seems to be the hang out for win IT pros. If you can please sign up with the same screen name cause i'd like to observe your problem and their solutions, remember that the more sickly specifc your are = better answer.

By all means keep updating us here

If you've had enough backup the data modified after last system restore and do it.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
...another thing that comes to mind and I could be totally wrong here, you haven't actually installed XP over another copy of XP by any chance. Without formatting?

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
No new XP, no!

As I say I have never used or been able to use WMP11, but it's only a problem now because I need it!

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Selmer2
[Can you spill us this?

Which two problems do you mean, but nothing out of the ordinary has happened.

Media center is up to date, I have even downloaded rollup 2 update which comes with other updates.

Never been able to use WMP11, never needed to. But it came with the media center when first bought PC (I think).

Yes I have reinstalled from same download, many times, spent about 5 hours this morning, removing and reinstalling, I even rolledback to WMP 10 but if I try to open that I get "Internal application error, with WMP11 It's totally unresponsive (It install's, restarts PC, I click on it and it ask Express setting or custom, I tried express and custom but when I try to finalize an install window flashes on then off, then the link is unresponsive).

I don't think I missed anything.
Cheers.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by chris01621
Yes I have reinstalled from same download, many times, spent about 5 hours this morning, removing and reinstalling,
Cheers.

purge the download, download again and check it with a third party program like the one I linked. Your installing from the same source.

If you've done everything listed go techrepublic (link is posted^)

worst comes to the worst system restore.

I hate computers

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
media player classic @sourceforge.net (you want MPC 6.4.9.0)

I'll have a go at downloading this.

It tells me I can download release note, but I can't find the player download, any help plz???

Edit: dont worry, I got it but it's all in greek??? Any Idea?

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
This sounds familiar to me.
Not exactly you're problem, but very similar.

I have a system that is running Media center.
I had many many problems playing Vids through media player.
Sometimes it would even shut down my system.

I was having some dll issues..Even a reinstall of media player would not work for me.

There was something that fixed me though. I updated my IE browser to version 7, and I haven't had any media issues since. I'm assuming the IE7 fixed some of my dll's..I never really did go deep enough to figure out what the problem was.

but if you're game try the browser update.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Have downloaded IE7, But it still does not work...

I like it, but all writing seems blurry, it gave me an option to sort at start, I declined and now can't find the option again...

Edit: Not to worry I found the Cleartype thing...

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I know you said that you installed rollup 2, but did your install the other update also?

Q. Why doesn’t Windows Media Player 11 install on Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005?

A. You might have difficulty installing Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP on a computer running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 if you have not installed the most recent Windows updates.

If you encounter problems installing Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP on a computer running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, try installing the updates mentioned in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

• Article 900325, "Update Rollup 2 for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005"

Article 925766, "October 2006 Update Rollup for Windows XP Media Center Edition" In addition, go to Windows Update and install any other recommended updates.

www.microsoft.com...

Here's another link that may help.

Also, could you go to your Event viewer, open the application log, and tell us the red or yellow errors (if any)that show up when you try to open WMP11?

Example:

Best of Luck
makeitso

[edit on 2/5/07 by makeitso]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I have to admit I am quite illiterate when it comes to PC's but I don't even know if I have an Event Viewer, If task manager is the same then nothing comes up.

I downloaded that update and still nothing happens.
I don't get any error messanges when trying to open WMP, it just doesn't respond at all!

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
1. Note the time on your pc.
2. Try to open the application.
3. Follow the below instructions, and look for events listed in red or yellow that have the same pc time that you tried to open the application.
4. Post that information (if any) on this thread.

How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

How to View Event Details
To view the details of an event, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Or, open the MMC containing the Event Viewer snap-in.

2. In the console tree, expand Event Viewer, and then click the (APPLICATION) log.

3. In the details pane, double-click the event that you want to view.

The Event Properties dialog box containing header information and a description of the event is displayed.

To copy the details of the event, click the Copy button, then open a new document in the program in which you want to paste the event (for example, Microsoft Word), and then click Paste on the Edit menu.

Also read the other link I posted, it may help you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join