It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legal Ramifications of the Quebec's separation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Okay, I know over here most on this forum are Not separatists (and probably not quebecers
)

I've got a question for you guys

Today in my Political actualities course, it turned ugly when we went on the Quebec Question

I have been wondering, in the US, trying to separate can be seen as High Treason, while over here it is openly spoken, we even had referendums

Some Quebecers say Canada would send the Army if we were to separate but this is highly dubious in my opinion

How come it is not High Treason in our country? What makes Quebec so special that their Prime Minister is able to openly treaten the country of Separation?

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
No one has any idea why we arent condemning separation party

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianGlasnost
I have been wondering, in the US, trying to separate can be seen as High Treason, while over here it is openly spoken, we even had referendums

Some Quebecers say Canada would send the Army if we were to separate but this is highly dubious in my opinion

How come it is not High Treason in our country? What makes Quebec so special that their Prime Minister is able to openly treaten the country of Separation?

Bingo, in the United States, Canada is a different country with different laws and a different culture.

From my understanding Quebec is the equivalent of Scotland in the UK, currently the issue of whether Scotland should leave the United Kingdom is being talked about.
If they voted to leave England and Wales wouldn't marshal the troops and bring them to heel, we'd let them leave (to our and their loss) but still treat them as good friends and allies.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I don't think it's treason here in the U.S. to discuss separation, except in the context of a violent overthrow. There have been some political discussions in various states about it, but they were never really serious or enjoyed significant support. And Puerto Rico has had referenda on whether to become independent, become a state, or remain a territory.

If one state wanted to leave, it would probably be allowed now if that was the clear will of the people.

The example in the Civil War is pretty special. It was really a violent overthrow, since the south formed a new government, raised an army, and began attacking U.S. assets in the south. There is no issue that could, in the foreseeable future, split the country regionally over an issue like slavery did.

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Weird question now: If someone was to successfuly putsch the Prime Minister of Quebec, how do you think the canadian government would react?

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I have no idea why we are so tolerant of the whole separatist thing. Probably because there is not much we can do about it. Stomping our feet about it (more than we already do
) would just inflame the situation.

Originally posted by CanadianGlasnost
Weird question now: If someone was to successfuly putsch the Prime Minister of Quebec, how do you think the canadian government would react?

If there was a successful coup by the separatists, Ottawa would probably go Trudeau all over La Belle Province. That is the only scenario that I could imagine the army being sent in to Quebec due to the separatist movement. If a provincial coup didn't warrant the War Measures Act, I don't know what would.

If separation does happen, peacefully is the way to go about it.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Canada has one Prime Minister, the leader of the Federal Majority. Quebec's leader, and the leader of any Province, is a Premier.

Quebec, unlike Scotland, is a province of the country of Canada, not a separate country married to Canada.

Since our Governor General is currently French, I have a feeling we can put the issue of separatism to rest for a bit.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
You actually seperate...Then we find your plantations and burn a major city the size of Atlanta to the ground. Then after the war there is the carpetbaggers. Plus no one in the US wants a Canada 2

top topics

join