It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indonesia to declare bird flu a national disaster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Indonisia's death toll from the H5N1 Bird Flu Virus has hit 63, so they have declaired this a national disaster. Which gives them access to a special fund to attempt to handle the epidemic.

ruters.com
JAKARTA Indonesia will declare bird flu a national disaster following a fresh flare-up in the country, which has the world's highest human death toll from the virus, the planning minister said on Wednesday.

The move will guarantee financial support from a special budget fund for efforts to tackle the disease.

Six Indonesians have died of bird flu this year, taking the country's death toll to 63, and several suspected cases have been admitted to hospital since the start of the year.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This fund will give Indonesia the ability to combat this disease. It will allow them to start slaughtering poultry in an attempt to quell the disease quickly before more lives are lost.

Related News Links:
www.thepoultrysite.com
www.abcnews4.com

[edit on 31-1-2007 by asala]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Ok this thread has been moved twice now LOL. Hopefully Its found its home. So without further adoo heres what I found out.

63 people in Indonesia have died from the virus so they have made this a national disaster. So your thoughts everyone?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Only 63 people out of how many???? Only 6 this year???? I can see preventive measures, but why the heck are they calling it a national disaster?

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Just a guess here but, perhaps the the number of actual cases is much then being reported? Or maybe the way the disease is spreading has changed? Or the virus has mutated in a new & even scarier way? As I said I'm just guessing here, no facts, just ideas.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady
Only 63 people out of how many???? Only 6 this year???? I can see preventive measures, but why the heck are they calling it a national disaster?

They are doing this to attempt to get funding to start slaughtering chickens in the country to quell the disease going any further. Its a preventative measure I am sure so that more people don't get sick.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
man that country has it bad, now today i see they reckon that alot of there islands will be under water sooner rather than later(alothough most of them have no human population), because of climate change.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by andy1033]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
yep they are pretty much up (deleted for security reasons) creek without a paddle, as far as it goes. but at least they are trying to do something before it gets realy realy (deleted for security reasons)

I mean they had to declare a national disaster for this because that was the only way they could get the funding to fight the disease. Like in Florida yesterday with the tornados, that killed 20 people it caused the governer to declare a state of emergency so that they could get funding too.

[edit on 3-2-2007 by whatukno]

new topics

top topics

join