It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sacred Cave of Rome's Founders Discovered, Archaeologists Say

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
"Archaeologists say they have unearthed Lupercale—the sacred cave where, according to legend, a she-wolf nursed the twin founders of Rome and where the city itself was born";

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Its an amazing discovery, but i wonder how such a sacred place came about to be forgotten in the first place
. It would be very interesting if there was somehwhere online where you could see the interior of the place, i wonder how well preserved it is? But as always, it means there's more fact to the legend than what was believed beforehand. I wonder though whether the cave was occupied at all before the romans claimed it though?

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tokis Phoenix
"Archaeologists say they have unearthed Lupercale

Amazing!

but i wonder how such a sacred place came about to be forgotten in the first place

Consider that its been over 2,000 years.

But as always, it means there's more fact to the legend than what was believed beforehand.

Why?
Romulus and Remus were ancient to the ancient romans. They only had stories. All this means is that they had a site that they considered to be the legendary cave. Augustus was something like 700 years after the proported events.

I wonder though whether the cave was occupied at all before the romans claimed it though?

It will certainly be fascinating to see what the results of the study are.

"The story of the twins reflects the previous tradition of the Lares, the twin deities protecting the area

Interesting. Lares are sort of like household gods, they protect the people in your family/home. It would be interesting indeed if the Roman Foundation myth was the extension of a family myth.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

According to myth, Lupercale is where a she-wolf suckled Romulus and Remus, the twin sons of the war god Mars and mortal priestess Rhea Silvia, who had been abandoned in a cradle on the bank of the Tiber River.

The Roman god of war.......Mars.......is Nimrod of Babylon.

Every year on February 15 ancient priests killed a dog and two goats and smeared the foreheads of two boys from noble families with the sacrificial blood as part of the Lupercalia celebration. The ceremony survived until A.D. 494, when Pope Gelasius put an end to the tradition.

Actually, Pope Gelasius reneamed the celebration St. Valentines Day in A.D. 496. It continued to be a church holy day until 1969.
The Roman celebration Luprcalia is a celebration of the birthday of Nimrod under the name Lupercus which means hunter of wolves. The heart of Valentines Day comes from the "sacred heart of Bel" of Babylon who is Baal or Nimrod. Baal the sun god is worshiped on SUNday, the Lords day..........Baal means Lord.

[edit on 30-1-2007 by Sun Matrix]

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix
The Roman god of war.......Mars.......is Nimrod of Babylon.

I'm afraid you've been fed some misinformation. Mars, in fact, is nothing at all like Nimrod. Mars isn't a hunter, and Nimrod sure wasn't married.

Nor was Nimrod a god.

However, they were both male... but you need more similarities than that to say one is equivalent to another.

Actually, Pope Gelasius reneamed the celebration St. Valentines Day in A.D. 496.

Close, but no soap. It was "The Feast of the Purification of the Virgin" on February 15th. The same pope did create a St. Valentine's day, but that was on February 14th. Purification of the Virgin feast was later moved to Feb. 2nd.
en.wikipedia.org...

The Roman celebration Luprcalia is a celebration of the birthday of Nimrod under the name Lupercus which means hunter of wolves.

Not according to the ancient Romans themselves. It was a feast to celebrate Faunus, the god of the woods and fields... who, by the way, wasn't a hunter. He was also known as Lupercus.

The Romans didn't worship Mesopotamian monarchs (probably fictional), nor was Lupercus reportedly the builder of the legendary tower of Babel (rabbinical legends say that Nimrod built it.)

Baal the sun god is worshiped on SUNday, the Lords day.

You might like to read a bit more about ancient gods and names. The Sumerian god of the sun was Utu; the Babylonian sun god was Shamash.
www.friesian.com...

Ba'al was simply an honorific meaning "diety." There wasn't a single god with that name, though there were a "Ba'al Melqart" and many others like that. They were worshipped on various dates and at various festivals:
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

I'm afraid you've been fed some misinformation. Mars, in fact, is nothing at all like Nimrod. Mars isn't a hunter, and Nimrod sure wasn't married.

Nor was Nimrod a god.

Mars is Marduk/Nimrod. Mars the god of war and hunting.

In Celtic mythology, Cocidius was a deity worshipped in northern Britain. The Romans equated him with Mars, god of war and hunting and with Sylvanus, god of forests, groves and wild fields

en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">//en.wikipedia.org...

Nimrod married his mother Semiramis

The Jewish historian Josephus relates Ninus to the Biblical hunter-king Nimrod. It is said that even though Nimrod was her son she married him when he grew to be a strong hunter.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Close, but no soap. It was "The Feast of the Purification of the Virgin" on February 15th. The same pope did create a St. Valentine's day, but that was on February 14th. Purification of the Virgin feast was later moved to Feb. 2nd.
en.wikipedia.org...

Plenty of soap. Same source.

The feast of St. Valentine was first declared to be on February 14 by Pope Gelasius I in 496. There is a widespread theory that he created the day to counter the practice held on Lupercalia of young men and women pairing off as lovers by drawing their names out of an urn; although the practice is not attested in any sources from that era, this pope finally abolished the Lupercalia, a superstitious and somewhat licentious vestige of paganism at Rome, after a long contest, which is covered in Gelasius's letter to senator Andromachus

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   
semiramis was invented by Berossus as a joke on antiochus the first
once again sun Matrix you are mixing up fictional biblical stories with other fictional stories
the result as ever is complete fiction
why do you even bother to waste our time
ah i remember
Faith
muhahahaha

damn no satan smiley

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Not according to the ancient Romans themselves. It was a feast to celebrate Faunus, the god of the woods and fields... who, by the way, wasn't a hunter. He was also known as Lupercus.

You need to start looking beyond the feast or the god and find the origin of the feast or god.

The Romans identified LUPERCUS with faunus, a god of nature. The Greeks called this nature god--PAN. The Dictionary of Mythology, Folklore, and Symbols, by Gertrude Jobes, 1961, tells us about Faunus in Part 1, page 552, and about Pan in Part 2, pages 1230-1231:

FAUNUS: In Roman mythology, grandson of Saturn; son of Picus, brother-husband of Fauna; father of Acis and Latinus, suitor of Galatea; ancestor of the fauns. A rural and woodland deity; patron of herding, HUNTING, and husbandry. Worshiped in groves, where his oracles were heard by a visitant while asleep on a sacred fleece. He revealed nature’s secrets to men only.
Faunus means to favor. He was also called Inuus (fertilizer) and Lupercus (one who wards off wolves).

PAN: Greek woodland spirit. God of flocks, hills, pastures, and wild life. Lusty deity of weather or wind insofar as weather affected crops and herds. Chief of satyrs, he presided over rural occupations, was patron of fishermen, hunters, and shepherds, and created mirages and other pitfalls for travelers.
He is said to have caused groundless fear, hence the word panic.
Plutarch relates that Thamus, passing the island of Paxos, heard a mighty voice commanding Thamus to proclaim, "Pan is dead." Probably a misunderstanding of the lament for the mutilated Tammuz.
He usually is portrayed with the head, chest, and arms of a man, a crooked nose, the legs, horns, tail, and sometimes the ears of a goat to typify his fertile powers. He is said also to personify the sensual (animal) as well as the spiritual (godly) attributes in mortals.

The World Book Encyclopedia, Field Enterprises Educational Corporation, 1961, Volume 6, page 59, shows us:

Faun, fawn, was a half-human god of the woods and herds in Roman mythology. The fauns corresponded to the satyrs of Greek mythology. They had pointed ears, short horns, and a tail. Their legs are sometimes represented as human, sometimes as covered with shaggy hair and with feet like a goat. The fauns were followers of Pan, god of the fields and woods, and Bacchus, god of wine. They were generally represented as playful creatures.
Philip W. Harsh

Pan was an Arcadian GOD OF LIGHT, and as such was equivalent to the SUN GOD: Baal, Bel, Belu
www.yahweh.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk
semiramis was invented by Berossus as a joke on antiochus the first
once again sun Matrix you are mixing up fictional biblical stories with other fictional stories
the result as ever is complete fiction
why do you even bother to waste our time
ah i remember
Faith
muhahahaha

damn no satan smiley

I see your weak tactics remain the same. A dash of knowledge mixed with a load of insults. WEAK.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
you apparently don't have tactics unless they are publicising your website
thats just means you're a troll

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   

You might like to read a bit more about ancient gods and names. The Sumerian god of the sun was Utu; the Babylonian sun god was Shamash.

I am well aware who Shamash is, and Baal, Bel etc. etc. etc.

They are the same god from diffenent cultures. You might do a little research on the scattering of cultures after Babel.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:01 PM
link   

you apparently don't have tactics unless they are publicising your website
thats just means you're a troll

In summary. Marduk is Nimrod. ..............fear.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Time to take the Chill Pill, folks.

Stick to the topic and leave the personal stuff at the door.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   

In summary. Marduk is Nimrod

Bel Marduk is a god
Nimrod is a man

is someone feeding you this stuff down at the mission ?

do you have a link to a credible site i can look at that will enlighten me to all this unknown arcane knowldge ?

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   

In summary. Marduk is Nimrod

Bel Marduk is a god
Nimrod is a man

Nimrod dies and is proclaimed to be Baal/ Bel. The fact that you are not aware of where all the gods originated from is of no surprise.

Marduk/ Mars/ Jupiter/ Zeus/ Osiris.....all the same.........Nimrod.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
ok so what you're saying is that you are unable to back your assertions with any credible links whatsoever
yes thats what I thought

ok next question then
why is it that only you of every person on earth knows these hidden secrets
why is it only you who is smart enough to see through the fog of history when so many thousands of qualified people have missed it
got a credible answer for that ?

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The topic, in case you've forgotten, is the Sacred Cave of Rome's Founders.

Could we perhaps learn more about this fascinating cave?

I'm very interested in the use of such caves by the ancients. It has a connection to Goddess worship and the Creation which fascinates me.

(and I really don't want to hear that those ancient Goddesses were Nimrod, either.)

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

(and I really don't want to hear that those ancient Goddesses were Nimrod, either.)

Sorry for the confussion. The goddesses are Semiramis.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix

I am well aware who Shamash is, and Baal, Bel etc. etc. etc.

They are the same god from diffenent cultures. You might do a little research on the scattering of cultures after Babel.

I have, but my knowledge and research comes from archaeological texts and not from a Biblical basis. Hence my restatement that Nimrod is only a Babylonian king and not associated with every single prominent male deity on the globe. There is no worship center dedicated to Nimrod and there are no prayers to a god named "Nimrod" -- hence, he was never viewed as a deity in any culture.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:15 AM
link   
What does the cave have to do with the Lupercalia anyway?

It doesn't say, at least, that the celebrations centered around the cave.

If they did, that would certainly suggest that the cave was recognized as sacred before Augustus was around.

On the other hand, Augustus was something of a moralizer, he was trying to reinstill the 'old virtues' amoung the public, so I suppose its possible that he could've instructed the college in charge of the celebration to relocate the festivities to his lupercale cave.

Also rather suspicious that it'd be in his private grounds, no? Perhaps Augustus just proclaimed it to be the original Lupercale, in order to associated himself with the founding of the city. After all, he was the 'father of the city', legally and mythically.

It'd certainly sit well with his Propaganda Campaign

[edit on 31-1-2007 by Nygdan]

<<   2 >>

join