It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan's health minister: Women are "birth-giving machines"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Pretty disgusting to hear a health minister talk in such a way.

MATSUE, Shimane Pref. (Kyodo) Health minister Hakuo Yanagisawa referred to women as "birth-giving machines" in a speech Saturday on welfare and health care.

Addressing prefectural assembly members of the Liberal Democratic Party in Matsue, the 71-year-old Yanagisawa touched on the nation's declining birthrate and said, "The number of women aged between 15 and 50 is fixed. Because the number of birth-giving machines and devices is fixed, all we can ask for is for them to do their best per head

LINK

If you dont got nothing nice to say dont say nothing at all. what a freak. right fellas?

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 02:31 AM
link   
there enlies the comments of a mad man. how this backwards drivel speaking fool ever made it in such a position is beyond me.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Because the number of birth-giving machines and devices is fixed, all we can ask for is for them to do their best per head

.......... ' birth-giving machines and devices'

........... ' all we can ask is for THEM to do their best per head' ( meaning the 'birth-giving machines' (females) and the 'devices').

But WHAT are the 'devices' ?

Is the 'device' a PENIS ?

Is the Health Minister referring to Japanese males and/or their genitalia as 'devices' ?

LOL ! With romantic encouragement like that, no wonder the birth rate is dropping !

( Wonder where the Health Minister gained his qualifications --- Mars, Uranus, Pluto or some other alien planet where the inhabitants lack sex organs and human emotions ?)

" All able bodies men must present their devices in good working order to the Health Centre at 9 a.m. Monday morning, when they will be paired with a birth-giving machine for five minutes precisely for the purpose of producing increases in Japan's shrinking population. DISmissed ! "

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   
One should consider that this has been translated from Japanese and does not reflect the manner in which he spoke. He was referring to the problem Japan has with a very low birth rate due to more women deciding not to have children. He spoke about this problem and indicated that as only women can give birth, only women can solve this problem. His use of terminology, while perhaps poor, was accurate. He was not at all saying that women are only good for giving birth much like a machine, and nothing else. He was saying that only women have a womb. If you noticed, he did explain that the wording could have been better and as you know, not all scientists are good at public speaking. When you look deeper and get a text of the speech in Japanese, you can see that the English article was edited and taken out of context to make him look bad. Translating from one language to the other is difficult to do correctly and this is a clear case of poor translation. It would have been better to say that only women have the ability to give birth, not that women are birth machines. A good translator would have understood the context.

Japan does indeed have a significant problem with low birth rates. More women choose to put off childbearing in the hopes of advancing a career. The end result is that the population is aging significantly and there is a severe lack of younger people to continue the society. The problem is so bad that they are all ready working on building robots to help with caring for the elderly. They have relaxed immigration regulations. They have increased government incentives for having children.

China, with its One Child law is facing a similar problem in its population. They have a severe lack of females. More people chose to have sons by illegally aborting female children and the ratio of males to females is way off scale. Most Chinese men now growing up there, will never have a Chinese bride.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Their former prime minister said last year that Japanese women should breed like dogs.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Oh, it's sooooooooooo confusing !

Italy, the UK, Australia, etc. ALL have extremely low birth-rates.

Isn't this what Prince Philip and his cronies WANT ?

Isn't 'over-population' supposedly the crux of the world's problems ?

Isn't 'over-population' what the NWO is working to 'cure', via lab-created 'culling' diseases?

Aren't we repeatedly advised that if we DON'T cross our knees more determinedly, we will exhaust the world's precious-resources ?

Yet Western nations are literally PAYING (via a variety of 'family subsidies') people to breed at the same time they are encouraging immigrants to come and breed like flies.

And now Japan's Health Minister is exhorting birth-giving machines and devices to do their procreative duty !

Too confusing.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
Japan does indeed have a significant problem with low birth rates.

maybe thats because women there are treated like sh*t!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracymaster

Have you ever been to Japan? If so tell me how many women you see getting treated badly. I have lived in Japan for the past 5 years I can ell you that women are treated exactly the same as they are treated in the US. About the speech in the first place, he apologized right after and said that he had misused words.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesMcMahn

Originally posted by conspiracymaster

Have you ever been to Japan? If so tell me how many women you see getting treated badly. I have lived in Japan for the past 5 years I can ell you that women are treated exactly the same as they are treated in the US. About the speech in the first place, he apologized right after and said that he had misused words.

took the words right out of my mouth...

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Women are not treated poorly in Japan, at least they're no worse off than other Western women. Pre-WW2, sure, there were a lot of problems with defacto slavery and other issues (sex, power, earnings, etc.), but times have changed a great deal. What makes you think women are treated so poorly in Japan, conspiracymaster?

Anyway, I saw this headline yesterday and laughed so hard. Based on the context, I don't think he's a hopeless chauvinist or anything, just a goofy scientist who mispoke.

It's clear the man fumbled his words, and perhaps allowed his career and interests contaminate his conceptions of other aspects of life, sort of like a mechanic who might refer to a blood transfusion as an oil change, or a checkup as a tune-up.

Nevermind the robot fascination that's so ubiquitous in Japan...

I wasn't offended, just amused.

Besides, if you want to be technical, the female of our species is a baby-making machine - their physiology is uniquely adapted to that role, and they have nobody to blame but God. Not to say that they're incapable of doing other things, because obviously that's not the case, just that they're uniquely designed to produce offspring and raise them, what with the wombs, and hips, milk-producing breasts, psychic powers and so on.

Is it just the use of the word 'machine' that offends people? Are we so insecure about our humanity, that an apparent over-simplification of our purpose is highly offensive? These same people get angry when folks compare the human brain to a computer, and use suitable analogies. I guess it's a personal issue, because it doesn't bother me in the least. My girlfriend disagrees, we debate it on a fairly regular basis. I think it's more of an emotional response that puts people off the analogy, rather than a logical one.

(Having said that, she's reading over my shoulder right now and she responded 'yeah, an emotional response from a machine' with raised eyebrows and all)

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Exactly WyrdeOne. You have to understand Japan. They are high on robots, machines, electronic, technology... he was making an analogy, but if you take it with your emotions, you'll overreact, but if you take it as an analogy, it's true.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I think it would be nice to hear a few women chime in on this.

Anyway, I thought women were ascerting themselves greatly in japan. as I recall, Japan is a country with a large number of dominatrixes
. So they are certainly changing their roles in their sexual relationships anyway.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Oh wow. I'm going to assume that was just a little mistake on his part, a misuse of words. Gonna be hard to help his image after he said that.

Yeah hes pretty much screwed I'd say. Once you misuse your words outloud like that everyone will know you as "that guy who said ________".

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Japanese to english translation is rarely exactly correct,

He used the japanese word "umu" which is what the older generation say to give birth, but nowadays the term "umu" is more often used in context to producing goods in a factory.

Thats where the mix up comes from and if the translator isn't spot on things get messy, our languages are so different you wouldn't believe!

A younger Japnese would say "mifutatsuninaru" which is the more accepted way.

ConspiracyMaster your comment is completly uncalled for I hope you at least get a warn tag for your comment

[edit on 28/1/07 by Jimmy1880]

d1k

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
This is why I like ATS, intelligent posters like Terapin and WyrdeOne. So many are ready to crucify this man when they know little to nothing about his culture and language, the context it was spoken in and the translation factors.

Cheers Wyrd and Terapin.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I bet the dude was talking about hospital beds or other medical supplies related to birth.

The whole translation thing kind of prevents us from having a real answer.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I'm with Wyrde on this one, and thanks to Jimmy for the insight on the language and translation issues.

I found the comment rather amusing actually, it sounds rather like he was being rather earnest about the problem, and simply chose and unfortunate way to express himself.

And Conspiracymaster . . . you've never been to Japan, have you?

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I don't really see the big deal.

I can see how he could cause offence, but if you get right down to it we are machines. Organic constructs that have evolved into a design which allows us to survive on this planet and propagate.

I think you would need to get to the base Japanese to actually really understand his meaning. I mean, how many of you have watched Japanese movies or played Japanese games? Sometimes you get ones which are really poorly translated and make no sense.

He didn't do nothing wrong, but overanalysis of his speech has led to controversy.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
okay maybe i used a wrong word to describe it but you can understand why im so frustrated right? its the 21st century not world war 2 times. this is 2007 and we have crazies like the japan health minister still downsizing women. very sad times.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Women are not treated poorly in Japan, at least they're no worse off than other Western women. Pre-WW2, sure, there were a lot of problems with defacto slavery and other issues (sex, power, earnings, etc.), but times have changed a great deal. What makes you think women are treated so poorly in Japan, conspiracymaster?

Anyway, I saw this headline yesterday and laughed so hard. Based on the context, I don't think he's a hopeless chauvinist or anything, just a goofy scientist who mispoke.

It's clear the man fumbled his words, and perhaps allowed his career and interests contaminate his conceptions of other aspects of life, sort of like a mechanic who might refer to a blood transfusion as an oil change, or a checkup as a tune-up.

Nevermind the robot fascination that's so ubiquitous in Japan...

I wasn't offended, just amused.

Besides, if you want to be technical, the female of our species is a baby-making machine - their physiology is uniquely adapted to that role, and they have nobody to blame but God. Not to say that they're incapable of doing other things, because obviously that's not the case, just that they're uniquely designed to produce offspring and raise them, what with the wombs, and hips, milk-producing breasts, psychic powers and so on.

Is it just the use of the word 'machine' that offends people? Are we so insecure about our humanity, that an apparent over-simplification of our purpose is highly offensive? These same people get angry when folks compare the human brain to a computer, and use suitable analogies. I guess it's a personal issue, because it doesn't bother me in the least. My girlfriend disagrees, we debate it on a fairly regular basis. I think it's more of an emotional response that puts people off the analogy, rather than a logical one.

(Having said that, she's reading over my shoulder right now and she responded 'yeah, an emotional response from a machine' with raised eyebrows and all)

so it doesnot bother you that a health minister, some one whos supposed to be helping people, is now downsizing women?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join