posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 06:23 AM
Experiments and studies show that Games and Movies dealing with violence do attribute to those who watch and play them, especially kids. You can read
the numberous amount of result data from the wide variety of experiments and it's obviously valid proof, atleast most of it, I'm sure there are a
few tampered ones in there too. However, it's not as dangerous as many would like people think.
Those who think it's all just B.S. and false I think are being overly defensive even in the face of very solid data, which isn't entirely
unjustified I guess. The fact is that:
1. People, especially kids, imitate what they see, hear & experience around them. ex:Kung fu after watching Jet Li or playing Mortal Combat.
2. Repeated exposure to a stimuli reduces the effect of that stimuli. ex:Blood and Guts in Doom is only cool for about the first 15min. & same goes
for graphic violence in movies too.
3. Being exposed to Violence in Media does condition the person(child) to think and react in similar ways in various ways and amounts.
Like it or not this is true. The "Truth Bending" comes in when the "Experts" try and use this as Scapegoating the problems of today and Blow it
out of proportion. What they usually avoid is facts like:
1. Violence seen watching News or CNN is usually more disturbing than most movies and probably any game.
2. The resulting data although conclusive is usually fairly small.
3. Most experiments involve Movies and Games need a lot more research before absolutely proven.
4. People were just as violent before Movies and Video Games as they are now, it's just now we document it more closely.
5. The major examples of influence are within subjects who are prone to violence in some way already.
....and things like that, which you can research more if interested.
The truth is folks that while Violent TV or Games may slightly add to Violent Ideas or Actions it IS NOT the cause of them. It's more like adding
some Violent Sprinkles to the Violent Cake thats already there. The sprinkles may spice it up a bit but it's the cake that's the problem. Good
parenting and supportive environment during development takes that cake down to a cookie. Wisdom and Compassion later on will take care of the
cookie, which then makes the Sprinkles merely the insignificant crumbs that get wiped away naturally.
Some Love, Compassion, Respect and Tolerance is more than enough to withstand even the most Violent Media. It's Abusive Families, Corrupt
Environment, Brainwashing Media, Murder, War, Crime, Neglect, etc. that is the real problem, not Quake, Pac Man, Mortal Kombat or Garbage Pail