It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

recently launched russian satellites.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 07:30 AM
link   
i got it by email, (glonass is a russian version of GPS)

On December 10, 2003 Russia successfully launched Proton-K rocket from the
Baykonur launch site. The rocket delivered three navigation satellites into
orbit � Cosmos-2402, Cosmos-2403, and Cosmos-2404. The satellites will join the
GLONASS constellation.

Cosmos-2399 photo-reconnaissance satellite completed its mission and returned to
the earth on December 9, 2003.

On December 5, 2003 Russia performed a successful launch of the Strela space
launcher.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 07:34 AM
link   
ok thank you for the information

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Oh, now if only they had the money to outfit their military with GPS.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 07:43 AM
link   
bah, soviets invented the GPS, it was first used in ships, and putin is raising the military spending in 2004..

[Edited on 15-12-2003 by SectorGaza]

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SectorGaza
bah, soviets invented the GPS, it was first used in ships, and putin is raising the military spending in 2004..

[Edited on 15-12-2003 by SectorGaza]

Of course they did sweety, just like they invented everything else and are superior and oppressed and will rise up and slay us capitalists one day in the name of the rodina. Lets face it, your poor, have antiquated technology, your country is falling apart and you don't even want to help yourselves. You pretend theres all these super weapons and black projects but they're nothing but concept designs and images. You had some good people but how can you take credit for things we've done?

Oh you commies and your thieving really makes me laugh

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:10 AM
link   
hmmm what does Russian have to say about this one i cant wait.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Nerdling, the Russian aren't bad at all. Also, I guess you never saw them in action, right ? Don't think they are a bunch of inoffensive clowns. It would be a terrible mistake.
I know that I hate all the commies, but I've learned they have to be taken very seriously. Don't mess with them if you have another valid option.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Oh, now if only they had the money to outfit their military with GPS.

Stupid head..

GLONASS and GPS are two different but similar systems.

GLONASS / GPS Comparison!

The first GPS satellite was launched in 1978 and the first products for civilian consumers appeared in the mid 1980's. It was in 1984 that President Reagan announced that a portion of the capabilities of GPS would be made availabe to the civil community. The system is still being improved and new, better satellites are still being launched to replace older ones.

Navstar (NAVigation Satellite Tracking And Ranging), now just called GPS, launched their first satellite in 1978. Navstar is also referred to in web sites for GPS.

So in 1978 it wasnt a GPS satellite launched.

GLONASS History!

[Edited on 15-12-2003 by FULCRUM]

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 01:50 PM
link   
please nerdling if you have nothing but bashing to then please dont post...

as i have read through the last posts...

nerdling, theneo, and laxpla...

are just a bunch kids who dont know anything about these things...

they just like to bash every Russian pecie of equitment here...

anyway back tp the subject...

oops Fulcrum got most of the info...

also if any of you Russian haters didnt know...

its Russia thats keeping the ISS station up in space...

since the loss of the Shuttle Columbia and the resulting grounding of the US manned space fleet. Russian transport ships are expected remain the only link to the ISS for the most of 2004.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
yes yes yes wellllllllllllllllllllllll...............

euro has gps coming too

And yes it will be more effective than American GPS and that russian stuff.

And yes europe is rich and thus can afford it

And yes it will be put to military use

And yes provide autonomy for european troops

I LOVE EUROPE SO........

(for those of you who have never heard of the system there is even a video for u guys to watch , you know like for educational purposes www.esa.int... )

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   
sorry but thats in the future...

Full Operational Capability in 2008.

by that time things could change alot...

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 02:20 PM
link   
yes thats just basically 3 years from now that really is not long.......

and besides it not like the russians will do much upgrading of there system taking into consideration the low budget and history of making systems and not upgrading...... i.e Aircraft systems

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Common sense dicates that any new GPS-type system being put into service will be better than the last.

My questions is, how accurate a position do you need for civilian purposes? Since most civilian applications are for navigation, the currrent system is sufficient in my opinion.

Link

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeaBass
Common sense dicates that any new GPS-type system being put into service will be better than the last.

My questions is, how accurate a position do you need for civilian purposes? Since most civilian applications are for navigation, the currrent system is sufficient in my opinion.

Link

it not about whether the system is sufficient enough, its a matter of autonomy as America can voluntarily suspend service of there system to other countries.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mooeuro

Originally posted by SeaBass

Link

it not about whether the system is sufficient enough, its a matter of autonomy as America can voluntarily suspend service of there system to other countries.

The service itself cannot be restricted to a particular country. The service is beamed globally - it has to do with the receivers. Those can be altered.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Regardless its still a limiting factor to other countries that use it, thus the justification for there own systems.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mooeuro
yes thats just basically 3 years from now that really is not long.......

and besides it not like the russians will do much upgrading of there system taking into consideration the low budget and history of making systems and not upgrading...... i.e Aircraft systems

Russias military bugdet ros this year by 18 or 21%...

if Russian miliary bugdet rises like this for 3 more years they will be albe to upgrade the aircraft systems...

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Russian,

sorry mate but you don't know anything about me.

I am 43 years old and in my prior career I was electronics technologist with speciality in communications and signalling. I was involved in satellite trials and first point-to-point radio cell communications in Canada in 1980s long before cell phone tech etc.

I had many friends in the field and knew engineers from the EAST Block that came to Canada.

A past best friend of mine used to be avionics expert for F16 program in Canada specializing in guidance systems.

Unlike many of the kids that come here I do not blow out my ass.

That is why there has been such efforts in past to silence me here.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Neo you are probably on the USA side cause you know nothing about Russian military products...

its not good to know only one side of the equation

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Russian,

you make a good point.
I have respect for the Russian and former east block's almost slavish loyalty to engineering and sciences and I have great respect for those people I have known such qualified.

It is doubtful that anyone in the west truly knows the extent of Russian capability but we tend to measure a societies abilities in relation to its ability to serve the markets.

I think this is a valid measure to a degree even with the Modern Russia because Russia desparately needs Western Currency as always and it must find a way to earn it. It makes a lot of sense for Russia to start selling its products to the world to earn this money needed for so many purposes. So far Russia has primarily been able to supply resources and raw materials and some armaments and weapons. Much of Russian products cannot hope to compete in the rest of the world. That may change in future and I expect improvement in future in the ability of Russian industry to compete. But for a former superpower it is less than impressive so far.

You are suggesting that Russia emphasizes military power, and it does, but then it should be able to blow everyone else out of the water so to speak. I see no evidence of this and I would say that except for certain areas, the Russian military technology is probably average with the advantage of a wide range of products and I am assuming here productive capability (that also remains to be seen too).

Anyways unless Russia has a lot of hidden arms and weapons the obvious reality is not overwhelming to the casual outside observer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join