It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians and Atheists, look at yourselfs.

page: 1

join
share:
Edn

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
What is it with the insults? I mean come on, I'm not going to name names but in almost every thread regarding either Christians or Atheists someone starts name calling etc., why cant you just accept that people have different believes, if you don't agree with someones questioning or view theres no need to insult them the only thing that proves is you are unable to disprove/prove there challenge to whatever they may have questioned.

Christians, doesn't the bible say "Take no revenge and cherish no grudge against your fellow countrymen. You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (or something similar depending on the translation you want to follow)

Maybe theres a better line from the bible to show what i mean, but I'm fairly sure that Christians are supposed to be loving people and be tolerant of others believes regardless of how it makes you feel.

And Atheists use your common sense you have more than most, you have a better understanding of religions around the world than most so you know whats going to happen if you deliberately upset someone to try and pick a fight so to speak.

On a side note being neither Christian or Atheist I must admit I find it slightly amusing watching from the sideline at the bickering and name calling etc. and if that doesn't make you stop and think then I doubt anything will.

why don't you apologies to each other and have proper insult free discussions and debates.

Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It's not so bad.

I've now been called an anti-christ and a kuffar in one week. Funny thing is that the ones calling me a kuffar are also anti-christs, and the ones calling me anti-christ are kuffars.

It's all very interesting...

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
i've been called an anti-christ
i've been called evil and wicked at my very core

but it was just one person
most of the christinas on this board are genuinly nice
and i don't really see the atheists resorting to these types of attacks

Edn

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Yes I do agree it usually is the same people over and over again however even thought the vast majority of people here can get along fine a single comment can easily portray the wrong image for an entire group. That is all to obvious today when you look at the news the action of a few (Muslims at the moment) are automatically by most thought of as the actions of all Muslims, it shouldn't be that way but it unfortunately is.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
And Atheists use your common sense you have more than most, you have a better understanding of religions around the world than most so you know whats going to happen if you deliberately upset someone to try and pick a fight so to speak.

For some reason you dont see this statement as an insult to believers?

Not that i`m insulted,however your bias is showing.

On a side note being neither Christian or Atheist I must admit I find it slightly amusing watching from the sideline at the bickering and name calling etc.

So you start a thread thinking you can show us all a better way because lets face it we are children compared to yourself,yet you dont really want anything to change because it amuses you.

and if that doesn't make you stop and think then I doubt anything will.

Are you thinking about this?

why don't you apologies to each other and have proper insult free discussions and debates.

Just a thought.

Just a thought,can you do the same?

You have said "And Atheists use your common sense you have more than most, you have a better understanding of religions around the world than most"

If a discussion gets out of hand ATS has moderators to warn or fix the problem,because problems such as the ones amusing you happen in any topic.But i guess you know all that seeing your wisdom for the statement above.

Apologies for the sarcasm.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Think about it. You can't have a Theological Forum that's open it anyone of any belief without having arguments and name calling. It would be nice if people would show some real respect on this forum, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon if ever.

Edn

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by gps777

Originally posted by Edn

For some reason you dont see this statement as an insult to believers?

Not that i`m insulted,however your bias is showing.
I admit that it may seam that way (im sorry if it does) but from experience most Atheists I have met do have more common sense than most other people I know.

On a side note being neither Christian or Atheist I must admit I find it slightly amusing watching from the sideline at the bickering and name calling etc.

So you start a thread thinking you can show us all a better way because lets face it we are children compared to yourself,yet you dont really want anything to change because it amuses you.
Not once did I say I didn't want it to change quite the opposite I believe it must change, ok theres always going to be a slip of the tongue in a heated debate but "evil and wicked at my very core" surely thats not right? As for "we are children compared to yourself" I never once actually gave that a thought or even thought of it for that matter until now, I'm assuming thats part of your sarcasm?

and if that doesn't make you stop and think then I doubt anything will.

Are you thinking about this?
Put yourself in the shoes of of a rabbi (just an example) he sees a couple of Christians and Atheists arguing and insulting each other, now that hes seen that why should he think others are going to be any different. As I mentioned in my previous post, the actions of a few can be misinterpreted as the actions of many. your representing your Religion in a sense when you post here remember.

Just a thought.

Just a thought,can you do the same?

Yes, if you feel I need to apologies for something then of course I can.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
.... "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

If i didn't know what i know, i truly wish someone would share such knowledge with me.

Knowing all i know about myself, seeing them suffer unneccesarily, i love my neighbors enough to try to share what it is i know, because they say i am obligated to do so. CASE and POINT:

Originally posted by melatonin

If something can't come from nothing, then you need to explain how god came to be as I assume he is something.

And Atheists use your common sense you have more than most, you have a better understanding of religions around the world than most ....

Are you implying that athiests understand religions better than the religious? Or have i misread what you had intended?

thanks,
john

[edit on 21-1-2007 by Esoteric Teacher]

Edn

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

And Atheists use your common sense you have more than most, you have a better understanding of religions around the world than most ....

Are you implying that athiests understand religions better than the religious? Or have i misread what you had intended?
What I mean is because a lot of Atheist tend to have a some point in there life's looked at/studied/experienced a number of different religions they do tend to have a more broader experience of how religions work around the world than say a person who has only been a Christian or Muslim etc. all there life.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn

I admit that it may seam that way (im sorry if it does) but from experience most Atheists I have met do have more common sense than most other people I know.

So its your opinion based on a few (in comparison to the world)and it sits ok with you to make such generalizations upon everyone based on the few you know.

Not once did I say I didn't want it to change quite the opposite I believe it must change, ok theres always going to be a slip of the tongue in a heated debate

Actually its harder to have a slip of the tongue while typing,which should say in real life its worse.

Here everything is recorded and can be viewed and judged by all reading.

but "evil and wicked at my very core" surely thats not right?

Depends who or whats at the core.

As for "we are children compared to yourself" I never once actually gave that a thought or even thought of it for that matter until now, I'm assuming thats part of your sarcasm?

You seem more concerned about whether it was sarcasm than the thoughts of whether you believe we are children compared to yourself.

Put yourself in the shoes of of a rabbi (just an example) he sees a couple of Christians and Atheists arguing and insulting each other, now that hes seen that why should he think others are going to be any different.

If he has good sense he wont make such a judgment to assume both Christians and Atheists are all the same based on a few he saw flinging insults.

your representing your Religion in a sense when you post here remember.

I never forgot.

Yes, if you feel I need to apologies for something then of course I can.

No,if you feel the need to apologize for something you`ll do it on your own,not because someone else wants you too.

But just so`s you know,i dont or have felt you need to apologize to me for anything,you made some observations,i made some observations based on your observations.

Just to add imho one of the worst apologies to be given is "sorry if you feel that way"
Though you may feel the need to tell me "sorry i feel this way".

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
What I mean is because a lot of Atheist tend to have a some point in there life's looked at/studied/experienced a number of different religions they do tend to have a more broader experience of how religions work around the world than say a person who has only been a Christian or Muslim etc. all there life.

I understand what you are saying, and to a degree i agree, but not totally.

I'm unaware of any Christian or Muslem who believed hook, line and sinker the whole of their inherited faith without asking some questions, and without having some doubts.

I was born into a Roman Catholic family, but i did not fully subscribe to all their teachings and beliefs without researching and asking in depth questions about many other faiths, to include religions that have not existed for thousands of years. Having done so, i encorporate many teachings from many faiths into my thoughts about spirituality, faith, theology, tolerance, etc ..

I don't think you can find me one person who was totally believing of their family's religion, unconditionally, from birth.

Believers were athiests, and are athiests until they have enough proof for themselves to decide upon a thing without hesitations or doubts.

I fail to see how the messages are different. Only the names and places have changed (perhaps to protect the innocent), not the messages. Their idealogies are not that seperate.

I'd go as far as to call god an athiest, since god worships no higher deity, at least not according to any monothiestic belief system i know of, unless you look at them from beyond a "believers" point of view.

[edit on 21-1-2007 by Esoteric Teacher]

top topics

join