It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Police Officer Refuses To Shake Hands With Male Police Chief, Cites Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
A graduate of Britain's Metropolitan Police Force refused to shake hands with Sir Ian Blair, Britain's most senior police chief, during a ceremony for graduates of the academy. She also refused to have her photograph taken, saying she did not want it used for "propaganda purposes".

www.thisi slondon.co.uk:80

A Muslim woman police officer has sparked a new debate by refusing to shake hands with Britain's most senior police chief for religious reasons.

The incident happened at a passing-out parade where Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair was inspecting a line-up of 200 recruits.

In addition to refusing a traditional congratulatory handshake from Sir Ian, the WPC - who wore a traditional Muslim hijab headscarf - also declined to be photographed with him as she did not want the picture used for 'propaganda purposes'.

The woman had earlier insisted that it was contrary to her religious teaching for her to touch a man.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This would be funny, if it were not serious. How can people be sure that she would be able and willing to perform her duties successfully? Is Islam that strict? Or is this a case of someone who refuses to assimilate into the society they live in?

And I wonder what "propaganda" would be served if she had allowed to have her photograph taken? Isn't she serving up her own version of propaganda by her actions?

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
The woman had earlier insisted that it was contrary to her religious teaching for her to touch a man.

So, Her value as a serving police oficer is going to be ZERO

it makes one wonder why she deliberatly wasted everyones time and money

also , i would like to see a citation for the " religious teaching " that prohibits her touching a man

i suspect she made it up , or twisted an unretated edict beyond all recognition

i persona;lly had a hospital appointment last week - and my consultant requested a fresh x-ray , the radiologist was a muslim lady and she had no issues with helping me take my shirt off and assisitng me prop my arm in the most comfortable position

so go figure

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
i suspect she made it up , or twisted an unretated edict beyond all recognition

She had to. Either that, or she's just being snooty and selective about it. If I read that article correctly, it says that she had no problem touching men in her line of work. She knew she's have to, and she did. But then suddenly she becomes super-muslim (sarcasim intended) and can't shake hands with a man ....

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
If she had been I my department I would have stuck her in a bad neighborhood, the first time she had to defend herself we would see if she would touch a man.

apc

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Any religion is as strict as the one who practices it.

She is taking this action to get attention.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
one more scar on their Muslim way of life. I hope this gets washed away before to many take this out of proportion. Any religion can have it's own variations, just look at Christianity, I find this hard to believe though. How could she ethically try to serve the people under her watch? How did she graduate in the first place?

I agree with James.. In saying that she be put in a situation in which she would be forced to choose, her religion or her ability to overcome her religion to fulfill her job requirements.

I'll be interested to hear from anyone that has any knowledge of the muslim world on this one.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm very curious about what propaganda would be served by having a photograph taken. She seems to have an agenda that escapes me.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I'm very curious about what propaganda would be served by having a photograph taken. She seems to have an agenda that escapes me.

Just by saying that she creates her own propaganda and the lack of a photo creates even more propaganda for her.

Counter propaganda against this should include female officers not wanting to shake muslim womens hand for "personal reasons."

This is yet another reason why Islam is about a 1000 years behind any form Western thought. Good Luck!

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Peeps, I find the following site rather illuminating as to how Muslims think and behave. It is basically an "Islam Q&A", where would be devotees send in all manner of questions to be answered by an Imam or whatnot:

Islam: Q&A

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   

This fool apparently isn't even familiar with her own religion. I bet she's a western convert. Western Converts to islam are about as ignorant of islam as non-convert westerners. REcall the issue in florida, where a muslim woman refused to remove a face covering for her driver's license, citing 'religion'? There's no such requirement in islam for that either, and she was also a western convert.

new topics

top topics

join