It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there higher degrees than the 33rd?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   
In masonry it seems there are no higher dgrees than the the 33rd. It would seem from some sources that in fact many levels exist which are not acknowleged.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigred1000
In masonry it seems there are no higher dgrees than the the 33rd. It would seem from some sources that in fact many levels exist which are not acknowleged.

It depends on the Rite of Masonry that is being discussed. For example, the Scottish Rite has 33 degrees, but the York Rite only has 12, and the Swedish Rite has 11. Yet, there are numerous "side degrees" that one can take, that are not numbered, and do not form a formal part of the Rite system.

Some Rites, now extinct, had many more than 33 degrees. The Oriental Rite of Memphis had 97 degrees, for example, and the Egyptian Rite of Mitzraim had 90.

Technically, if you consider the many different Masonic systems around the world, there's probably so many degrees that it would take months counting them all. But they all belong to coherent systems called Rites, and each are acknowledged; in fact, it is only the acknowledgement that makes them legitimate Masonic degrees.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Masonic Light I have a question

For the Scottish Rite (33d), roughly how long does it take to complete a rite or does it vary?

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Masonic Light, I have been recently raised, and now I am trying to decide which rite to pursue first, Scottish or York. Which one would you suggest going through first?

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by gspot
Masonic Light, I have been recently raised, and now I am trying to decide which rite to pursue first, Scottish or York. Which one would you suggest going through first?

Gspot- this is not the correct place to ask these type of questions. I suggest doing a google search for a Masonic message board to ask this and to get more insight.

Good luck with your decision.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Selmer2
Masonic Light I have a question

For the Scottish Rite (33d), roughly how long does it take to complete a rite or does it vary?

The Scottish Rite degrees are offered at "Reunions" which generally occur twice per year, in the spring and fall. It varies according to the different Temples, but most Reunions are done doing during two weekends. Candidates will be brought in Friday evening, then all day Saturday.

In my Temple, we go up to the 18th degree on the first weekend. The second weekend, we start with the 19th degree, then go up to the 32nd.

Only five of the Scottish Rite degrees are "mandatory", i.e., must be conferred in full ceremonial form. They are the 4th, 14th, 18th, 30th, and 32nd. Full conferral of the other degrees is left at the discretion of the individual Temple. When a degree is not ritualistically worked, the candidates are required to listen to the lecture, and take the obligation, of the degree. Some Temples have had one day reunions, where the five mandatory degrees are conferred in one day.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by gspot

I went through Scottish Rite first, but it probably doesn't matter. Both have unique and interesting degree work.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Me being Scottish I'd say go for Scottish Rite but then again I'm biased lol.

As for being more than 33 degrees I wouldn't think so, I know some pretty high up brethen and its taken them 30 odd years (on average), to reach roughly the 30th/31st degree so I reckon the time factor comes in to play.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
But they all belong to coherent systems called Rites, and each are acknowledged; in fact, it is only the acknowledgement that makes them legitimate Masonic degrees.

Sorry if my question appears repetitive, but who exactly has the authority to acknowledge a side degree? If it’s acknowledged by the Grand Lodge of Nevada, is it automatically acknowledged by the Grand Lodge of Florida? The UGLE?

I guess I still don’t get how the whole Masonic system ties together.

How many degrees are like the 33rd degree, meaning by special invite only?

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23

Sorry if my question appears repetitive, but who exactly has the authority to acknowledge a side degree? If it’s acknowledged by the Grand Lodge of Nevada, is it automatically acknowledged by the Grand Lodge of Florida? The UGLE?

What are known in the States as "side degrees" are, for the most part, various degrees that were once worked in Craft Lodges in England as honorary degrees. Examples are Royal Ark Mariner, Order of the Secret Monitor, and the Red Branch of Eri.

Many of these, in the US, have been consolidated under a Grand Council of Allied Masonic Degrees of the United States. Membership in these degrees is by invitation only to regular Royal Arch Masons in good standing.

How many degrees are like the 33rd degree, meaning by special invite only?

The Allied Masonic Degrees, the degrees of the Masonic Rosicrucian Society, Royal Order of Scotland, Knight Masons of Ireland, York Rite College, Knight of the York Cross of Honour, Holy Royal Arch Knight Templar Priests, and Red Cross of Constantine are all invitation-only. Most of these also have attendance requirements (i.e., if you miss meetings unexcused, you can be dropped from the membership roll).

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pictnation

As for being more than 33 degrees I wouldn't think so, I know some pretty high up brethen and its taken them 30 odd years (on average), to reach roughly the 30th/31st degree so I reckon the time factor comes in to play.

This is one of the idiosyncracies between countries. In the USA, it is possible to go up to the 32nd degree in one day, while it takes many years in the UK. Also, in the UK, the Scottish Rite is Christian-only, while in the US, it is non-sectarian.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigred1000

If not by unknown degrees, how do you think they maintain power?

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 01:52 AM
link   
This discussion is interesting, but not being restricted to conspiracies about the order. So I will move it to the general discussion forum, where it can continue unrestricted.

new topics

top topics

join