It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't go walking in the Australian Outback - You'll Disappear

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   
www.news.com.au...

I knew alot of people went missing out there but this is getting rediculous, I suspect they never got the Falconio Murderer and he is still on the loose somewhere out there.

Watch "Wolf Creek" and you will get the picture of how it is out there

PS: Perhaps there still are Yowies out there and they have a taste for foreign food .

[edit on 16-1-2007 by mazzroth]

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Could be the reptilians, according to the lacerta files they bake out in the sun in the outback, and they eat humans! Oh noes!

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Wolf Creek was indeed a scary movie, and based on true facts, but the Aussie outback is an amazing, beautiful place, and the people are beaut as well. Don't judge someplace if you have never been there. Anyone that has been out there will tell you to stop believe what the media would have you believe.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Your probably more likely to encounter some deadly venomous snake than a serial murderer in the outback. HAHA reptilians indeed...

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I just loved Wolf Creek, too.

I hope to get back to Australia someday on vacation instead of work, and wander around the outback some. But I'll do it with 'arf a dozen people and a sat phone.

If you break your leg or get bitten by just about any Australian critter, you are in trouble, and fast, especially if you're alone.

Actually have some hopes of getting a dual citizenship, you only have to live there for a year scattered over two, if I recall. So you could do two six month work tours then apply for your dualie. Although that really tweaks people. At one time you had to disavow your new Australian citizenship and then stroll over the the Australian consulate and pick up a new passport, the Aussies don't recognize disavowal.

Although if they catch you doing it, you can (not always) lose any clearances you have.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Come on over anyway Tom,
I'll crack a tinnie for ya and throw a Barramundi on the barbi

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
If the snakes don't get you the Yowie will... either way it bites...

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth
I knew alot of people went missing out there but this is getting rediculous, I suspect they never got the Falconio Murderer and he is still on the loose somewhere out there.

[edit on 16-1-2007 by mazzroth]

Give me a break. As some one who grew up in the territory 8 people missing since 2004 is not a great deal. The area of the territory covers 1,349,129 km² or 520,902 sq mi for our US friends of some pretty rough terrain that is sparsely populated. Alot of those who have gone missing are tourists who have not taken the neccessary precautions or have ignored advice from experienced locals.
More people go missing in a small city like Adelaide than dissapear in 3 yrs from the outback.
Dont worry they definately did get the right guy for the Falconio murder.

originally posted by Tom Bedlam If you break your leg or get bitten by just about any Australian critter, you are in trouble, and fast, especially if you're alone.

Only if your stupid and dont follow the advice of locals.
We handled a lot of snakes which we caught for the csiro when i was living up there and they will take off the minute they know your there, unless of course your dumb enough to chase them you'll be fine. The only really agressive snake would be the eastern or western brown, you dont want to give them a fright.
It really is some awesome country from searing desert at coober pedy in Sth Aust to tropical wetlands at the Top End and just about everything in between, and plenty of locals who love nothing more than spinning a yarn over a cold beer.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Mojo4Sale

I suspect you work for the Australian Tourism Commission ? anyway you are only looking it at the perspective of the NT being the only place there is outback. Western Australia is pretty much all outback apart from the lower south western region and as far as size goes its alot bigger as well.

We probably had the most interesting case of an Outback Traveller going missing with the Robert Bogucki case back in 1999. Most perish from exposure and not sinister reasons but its the number I was alluding to as Im pretty sure I havent seen all those cases in the URL I pasted on mainstream news ok.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Mojo4Sale

I suspect you work for the Australian Tourism Commission ? anyway you are only looking it at the perspective of the NT being the only place there is outback.

nah i dont mate and i did mention sth aust as being part of the outback, sorry for not mentioning the west.

Most perish from exposure and not sinister reasons but its the number I was alluding to as Im pretty sure I havent seen all those cases in the URL I pasted on mainstream news ok.

I still dont think the numbers are that high considering the size of the area were talking about. 10 times that number would go missing from a small city every year.
Its all good, not ragging on ya!!

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Why go down under when you can just go to the South Dakota Badlands?

It's awesome mate. And the natives were killed off years ago.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by seattlelaw
Why go down under when you can just go to the South Dakota Badlands?

It's awesome mate. And the natives were killed off years ago.

Don't you mean South Dakistan?

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Ummm... it's a desert.
It's hot and dry and big and not many people are about, and sometimes people go into it unprepared.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The title of this thread made me think first of Min min lights and then of picnic at hanging rock.

I agree with mojo - Australia is an awesome place with so much diversity, both in terrain, weather, animals and people( sometimes those last two overlap.
)

As was already stated, the biggest problem has always been people going into these areas completely unprepared. Water is usually the biggest issue and people wandering away from their cars. At any rate as with any country, if your going to trek off into the big empty let people know where you are going, take some provisions and if trouble does arrive stay with your car.

Having said that though it would not suprise me in the least to find out that Brad Murdoch is innocent and the true killer is still wandering around out there somewhere -- wasn't there something weird about the evidence that was found in his home? Not sure on that but I seem to remember some conspiracy theories floating around about it.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ilandrah
Having said that though it would not suprise me in the least to find out that Brad Murdoch is innocent and the true killer is still wandering around out there somewhere -- wasn't there something weird about the evidence that was found in his home? Not sure on that but I seem to remember some conspiracy theories floating around about it.

Falconio was guilty of drug trafficing thats an admitted fact but he vehemently denied that he killed anyone, I think the cops like open and shut cases as it keeps everyone happy most of all the public, but the problem lies with the identifying of him with a photo by Joanna Lees.

She initially said it wasn't him when shown his Photgraph but at a later interview she was shown the same photo and its a well known that with this senario you will remember the photo from before and Identify with it. This was pointed out by the defendants lawyer but was ignored and was a major mitigating factor in his conviction.

The Killer may still be at large is all Iam suggesting, more a case of possible than probable.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Yeah, isn't that what happened to Kevin Sorbo when he was working on an episode of Hercules?

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   

The title of this thread made me think first of Min min lights and then of picnic at hanging rock.

Now thats an eerie movie.

Even if Murdoch wasnt the guy from all the info ive seen on him he deserves to be exactly where he is right now. One less nutter out and about. If he ever did get off the Falconio murder he will be bought straight back to SA to face court over a heap of other stuff including rape and kidnapping and drug running.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I wont argue with you there Mojo, but that's one reason that I actually think it would have been easy for the police to lay the murder charges - They wanted the case solved and they wanted Murdoch behind bars, they nestle against one another nicely...unless there still is some psycho serial killer out there that is truly responsible for these deaths and disappearances.

I can't really blame Lees for getting confused - I mean in those kinds of situations noting the colour of the mans eyes would be the last thing on your mind.

Apart from the backpacker murders I can't really think of any Australian serial killers, and that one is also somewhat dubious. It seems that Milat is getting blamed for a whole host of murders that he may or may not have committed. All those unsolved deaths that they delved back into once he was arrested.

At any rate, I still say that these disappearances are much more likely related to inexperienced travellers than to any psycho.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Most dangerous thing I remember from the outback was the Land Trains. Those trucks don't stop for nothing, and not something you want behind you.

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subcomandante
Most dangerous thing I remember from the outback was the Land Trains. Those trucks don't stop for nothing, and not something you want behind you.

yeh i have a mate who does the adelaide to alice springs run, he only drives a b double and thats scary enough when one of them wants to overtake. the road trains are seriously scary if you catch one coming the other way on a dirt road from one of the mines.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join