It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

300 Megaton Nuke?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I read in a post about there being a 300 Megaton Nuke build by Russia, then blasting a hole in the earth. Has this ever happened. I think it is a very interesting matter really.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 07:12 PM
link   
when did this happen do you know maybe you are thinking of the the Tunguska event which leveled severl hundred miles of land in russia and the shock was felt around europe.

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 01:52 AM
link   
what? there has never been a nuke that big, and tunguska wasn't a nuke (at least a man made one) it happened in 1909

personally i think it was anti-matter but that's just me

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I'm just guessing here, but wouldn't a 300 megaton nuke mess up the entire world. The radioactive cloud would produced by something that big.... I mean, the biggest nuke ever exploded was what, 80 megatons?

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a 300 megaton bomb? that would cause severe surface damage when tested, never mind when deployed.

I dont think that tunguska could not have been caused by anti-matter, as if several hundred miles of trees were leveled, the thousands of tons of anti-matter must have landed there. (anti-matter and matter particles annihilate each other, giving off energy and gamma radiation) This means that for every particle annihailated in that area, its corrisponding anti-particle must have landed precicely in the right place.

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   
the largest nuke ever exploded, tsar bomba, by russia, was designed as a 100 megaton nuke and exploded as a 56 megaton nuke because it was to heavy to move as a 100 megaton, no a 300 megaton nuke wouldn't do major damage on a planetary scale, though it would scar it's region deeply.

Tunguska was NOT a man made nuclear blast, no way no how, no matter how much it looked like one, there were no nuclear weapons or the capability to make them in 1909

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 03:51 PM
link   
actually, a small quantity of anti-matter, impacting with the atmosphere, would produce effects similiar to what happened in tunguska, i didn't mean 'thousands of tons' that much anti-matter would be more then enough to consume the entire world, recall that when matter and anti-matter meet the amount of energy they produce is enourmous

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   
when matter and anti-matter meet, they release energy equal to the square of the speed of light x mass (einstiens theory) this means that quite a bit of anti-matter is needed for a tunguska-style explosion(although i'm not saying it isnt possible)

[Edited on 14-12-2003 by czakky]

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 03:57 PM
link   
that's why i put that qualification there, i'm as open to aliens as the next conspiracy theorist.

but absent proof of an alien weapon going off, i prefer to look at scientific reasons for it, one of them being a small quantity of anti-matter hitting the atmosphere.

What seems to be the predominant belief in the scientific community is that it was a comet exploding in our atmosphere.

i dont buy that as i believe we would be able to find higher concentrations of certain elements and metals that are normally found on Earth, but as of yet, we haven't found anything like that there

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriskaos
when did this happen do you know maybe you are thinking of the the Tunguska event which leveled severl hundred miles of land in russia and the shock was felt around europe.

A bit off topic but...
Sapphire posted this not long agoo in the Philadelphia Experiment thread- by DavidBieniek, so not many people were interested.

Real Tunguska

[Edited on 14-12-2003 by Johnny]

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 04:10 PM
link   
i've heard the tesla theory before too, interesting

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by JeanLucPicard
I read in a post about there being a 300 Megaton Nuke build by Russia, then blasting a hole in the earth. Has this ever happened. I think it is a very interesting matter really.

I think that there are enough nukes to blast the Earth out of orbit several times, no need to build something that big.
Besides, I think Russians have much more dangerous weapons in their arsenal.

www.cheniere.org...

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
"Tsar Bomba" ("King of Bombs"): The World's Largest Bomb
Time: 30 October 1961
Over Novaya Zemlya Island test range (in the Arctic Sea)
Yield: 50 Megatons

Shown here in the Russian Atomic Weapon Museum, the "Tsar Bomba" was the largest nuclear weapon ever constructed or detonated. This three stage weapon was actually a 100 megaton bomb design, but the uranium fusion tamper of the teritiary (and probably secondary) stage(s) was replaced by one made of lead to eliminate fast fission by the fusion neutrons. The result was also the cleanest weapon ever tested with 97% of the energy coming from fusion reactions.

This weapon was developed in a remarkably short time. On 10 July 1961 Nikita Khruschev met with Sakharov, then the senior weapon designer, and directed him to develop a 100 megaton bomb. This device had to be ready for a test series due to begin in September so that the series would create maximum political impact (a bomb this size is virtually useless militarily). Sakharov returned to Arzamas-16, and selcted a design team consisting of Victor Adamskii, Yuri Babaev, Yuri Trunev, and Yuri Smirnov (who later oversaw the transformation of this design into a fielded weapon). The bomb was tested only 14 weeks after the initiation of its design.

I watched a clip or saw a pic about this in fact. The thing was so big it wouldn't fit inside the plane. They removed the doors and it was rigged to it somehow instead. It was like watching a Hawk flying around with a Two Liter Bottle strapped to it's belly!!

EDIT: Forgot the link!! More cool info can be found here as well!!
nuclearweaponarchive.org...

[Edited on 14-12-2003 by mOjOm]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnny

Originally posted by JeanLucPicard

I think that there are enough nukes to blast the Earth out of orbit several times, no need to build something that big.
Besides, I think Russians have much more dangerous weapons in their arsenal.

www.cheniere.org...

www.cheniere.org...

sounds like a very dangerous 'weapon' in the wrong hands, lol

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by KKing123
the largest nuke ever exploded, tsar bomba, by russia, was designed as a 100 megaton nuke and exploded as a 56 megaton nuke because it was to heavy to move as a 100 megaton

Incorrect, they used lead in the 3rd stage instead of DU. This made it the cleanest nuke ever detonated as the lead tamper trapped most of the fast neutrons. Weight wasn't an issue, as the full scale weapon was designed to be aircraft deliverable just like the test weapon.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
"Tsar Bomba" ("King of Bombs"): The World's Largest Bomb
Time: 30 October 1961
Over Novaya Zemlya Island test range (in the Arctic Sea)
Yield: 50 Megatons

(a bomb this size is virtually useless militarily)

I

Comment: The reason why is simply physics, where the square of the distance applies to the dissipation of energy. Surely when you concentrate energy in one place, rather than in 10 places with 30 megaton ordnance, in your 300 megaton scenario, you get far less "bang for the buck." I hope this is clear. Possibly smaller multiples are at some ceterus paribus in calculation of expended energy for maximum military effectiveness. The entire subject is frightening, but the 100 megaton weapon appeals more to propaganda and stupidity, than applied science.

[edit on 15-9-2004 by SkipShipman]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Yes a 100MT weapon is definately a case of penis envy

E_T

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
Incorrect, they used lead in the 3rd stage instead of DU. This made it the cleanest nuke ever detonated as the lead tamper trapped most of the fast neutrons. Weight wasn't an issue, as the full scale weapon was designed to be aircraft deliverable just like the test weapon.

Still partly incorrect.
It was purest hydrogen bomb with only 3% of yield coming from fission.
And it was clean because by using full scale bomb with DU parts instead of those made from lead would have doubled its yield because those neutrons coming from fusion would have caused fission in DU. (and caused huge radioactive fallout because of amount of radioactive elements involved)

nuclearweaponarchive.org...

E_T

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by czakky
when matter and anti-matter meet, they release energy equal to the square of the speed of light x mass (einstiens theory) this means that quite a bit of anti-matter is needed for a tunguska-style explosion(although i'm not saying it isnt possible)

Not very big amount if you compare it to efficiency of nukes.

In fusion under 1% of mass is converted to energy, for fission it's even smaller.
But with anti-matter efficiency is 200% because it destroyes equal amount of normal matter.

Originally posted by KKing123
What seems to be the predominant belief in the scientific community is that it was a comet exploding in our atmosphere.

i dont buy that as i believe we would be able to find higher concentrations of certain elements and metals that are normally found on Earth, but as of yet, we haven't found anything like that there

Comet =! asteroid.
Comets don't have much heavy elements like Iridium.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
If you look at the size, it's not bigger than the payloads already delivered to orbit, such as Mir spacestation main module, ISS, etc.

So once a rocket system of appropriate size has been developed (and it has), one could possible lob a weapon like this to any point on the planet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join