It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dying to Get a Wii

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
sad story

Woman drinks so much water she dies

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- A woman who competed in a radio station's contest to see how much water she could drink without going to the bathroom died of water intoxication, the coroner's office said Saturday.

Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead Friday in her suburban Rancho Cordova home hours after taking part in the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest in which KDND 107.9 promised a Nintendo Wii video game system for the winner.

i see a lawsuit comming. i fell really bad for what happened to her, and i feel terrible for her family. if she was trying to win this wii for her kids then im going to cry.

this contest was the most idiotic thing imagined. the overdose of water is called hyponatremia.

www.hhp.ufl.edu...

the amount of salt available to the body tissues decreases over time to a point where the loss interferes with brain, heart, and muscle function.
The symptoms generally mirror those of dehydration (apathy, confusion, nausea, and fatigue), although some individuals show no symptoms at all. If untreated, hyponatremia can lead to coma and even death.

the things people will do for a wii

[edit on 14-1-2007 by elitegamer23]

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
It was stupid on the part of the participants, but OH MY GOSH, who came up with this brainstorm? You would think before they unleashed this lunacy on the public that they would have somebody verifiying the safety of the contest. I agree, I can definitely see a lawsuit in this radio stations future. Now I will admit that the weekend that the Wii released my husband and I camped out in our car watching our son and his friend while they were camped out on the sidewalk of Walmart for 36 hours. Originally Walmart was going to let them camp out in the layaway section but while the PS3 people were waiting they got a memo from corporate saying everybody had to move outside. That was a long weekend, but we have had the best time playing that game.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Pure idiocy on part of both participants but mainly the radio station for holding it. The people responsible for the idea should be shown the door.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'm going to have to call stupidity on both parties. For one thing, that sort of contest is downright dangerous and sounds like a frat house initiation ceremony. Stupid and dangerous. And stupid that anyone would do this contest for a video game system. Sad yes, but stupid.

I thought it was rediculous when people where killing eachother for a PS3, I guess this just goes to show that fans of all systems have their idiots. Or are at least related to them.

But in the meantime if any of you ever try anything like this in the future be sure to eat a lot of salty foods, like super pretzels. It'll help reduce the effects of drinking too much.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
almost deserving of a darwin award.

fate is ironic , and the day nintendo changed the name from revolution to wii this ladies life and death might have been sealed.

i feel terrible for the family , but i dont feel bad for the radio station. they almost deserve jail time and a huge penalty.

peace

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Definatley deserving of a Darwin Award.

But you're absolutely right, that radio station deserves one hell of a penalty.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
yeah but would Darwin really apply? she already has kids.

also, from what i understand, the radio station that held the contest didn't even have a physician on hand...yea, these guys are gonna get sued into oblivion..

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
The radio station is definitely liable here, her kids will probably end up owning it. They ran this medically dangerous contest without any medical oversight or followup. If there was any medical supervision her condition would have been easily reversed by an injection of saline solution.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
actually, who would have thought that one could die from "water overdose"???

i didn't...

did the radio station warn the lady of this before the contest???

if so, there's no lawsuit...

if not, there's a ballgame to be played...

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

i didn't...

Maybe you wouldn't but any doctor would.

Some simple release form doesn't exonerate them from gross negligence. A civil lawsuit will definitely have a high probability of being successful.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
There is another thread discussing the medical aspects of this conversation here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Although this thread seems to be geared more towards the gaming community's perspective and the legal reprocussions. Although the threads are similiar concerning the root subject matter, i don't think the threads are identical, but rather just parallel. Both talking about different aspects.

thanks,
john

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

i didn't...

did the radio station warn the lady of this before the contest???

if so, there's no lawsuit...

if not, there's a ballgame to be played...

i never really thought about the fact that it could kill you, but i was aware that excessive amounts of water could seriously damage one of your major organs. for some reason i always thought it was your pancreas but its probably all of them. flushing my system for a drug test long ago might have led me to such (most likely incorrect ) knowledge.

i wonder what the pain she felt was. did every nerve in her body go into shock all at once . she was crying bad before she died so i imagine her pain was terrible. its amazing how suddenly a life can end.

peace

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
my first double post ever in any forum :shk:

[edit on 15-1-2007 by elitegamer23]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I actually hadn't heard of this until I bought the Hypercondriac's Guide to Horrific Diseases. Which I might add is a fantastic book. But back on to the topic it's really just downright rediculous that a radio station would have such a contest without knowing the consequences.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23

i wonder what the pain she felt was. did every nerve in her body go into shock all at once . she was crying bad before she died so i imagine her pain was terrible. its amazing how suddenly a life can end.

peace

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
I saw this story on the news the yesterday.

It seems the cause of death was the fact that her brain cells absorbed so much water they could no longer expand due to the skull.

Supposedly the leading cause of death was the pressure exerted upon the brain cells from both the absorbtion of water and the inside of her skull.

She was complaining of a severe headache when she left the radio station, or at least that is what has been reported on by FOXNEWS.

Thanks,
john

not a pleasant way to go. someone keep both threads updated to the outcome of this tragic happening. has the radio station been sued yet?

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by elitegamer23

peace

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
I saw this story on the news the yesterday.

It seems the cause of death was the fact that her brain cells absorbed so much water they could no longer expand due to the skull.

Supposedly the leading cause of death was the pressure exerted upon the brain cells from both the absorbtion of water and the inside of her skull.

She was complaining of a severe headache when she left the radio station, or at least that is what has been reported on by FOXNEWS.

Thanks,
john

not a pleasant way to go. someone keep both threads updated to the outcome of this tragic happening. has the radio station been sued yet?

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I know of the water overdose thing too well. A kid died of it from hazing at the college just up the road. Pretty sick but it does happen.

PS the radio station should be sued destroyed and the people who put this contest together in jail.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
the radio show that held the contest is off the air indefinitely.
endonline.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a very beautiful woman doing what awesome moms do, ANYTHING to make her kids happy. i want prison time for the person who allowed this contest to take place. here is a pic of jennifer strange and her family.

www.google.com...

click on the sacbee.com link. its the fourth one. sorry for all the edits, the original link i was trying to leave kept going to a login to sacbee.com

my prayers are with her family , i wish i could give my wii to the kids but it sadly would only hurt the family more. in my opinion the "Morning Rave" program on The End (KDND, 107.9 FM) ca n go to hell.

peace

[edit on 16-1-2007 by elitegamer23]

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I thought it was common knowledge that drinking too much water could be deadly...but I guess not...dumb

top topics

<<   2 >>

join