It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Tsunami warning for Japan Coast After 8.3 Quake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Not much is known at this point other than residents on one of the coastal regions of Japan have been told to evacuate to higher ground. This is after a earthquake struck below the Pacific Ocean.

news.yahoo.com
Local authorities along Hokkaido's coast ordered residents living along the northern and eastern coasts of Japan's northern main island of Hokkaido to evacuate to higher ground.

Hideo Suzuki, a municipal official for the town of Rausu, said he had not observed any visible change of the sea level as of around 2 p.m., although the town has ordered all residents to evacuate.

Temblors of magnitude 7 are generally classified as major earthquakes, capable of widespread, heavy damage.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

At this point the situation does not seem too threatening. Authorities still want people to move to higher ground. It is good to see actions happening so quickly to let people know. If a tsunami were to occur they seem well prepared.

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com

[edit on 12-1-2007 by EricFM]

[edit on 12-1-2007 by EricFM]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Glad to see everyone is awake, and not afraid to "inform the public."

Hawaii is under tsunami watch too, because of this quake.

Hawaii Under Tsunami Watch After Japan-Area Quake

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center put the Hawaiian Islands under a tsunami watch after an 8.4 earthquake struck near the Kuril Islands near Japan.

Scientists at the center said they will monitor how the quake affects Japan before deciding whether to upgrade to a tsunami warning for the state.

A 3-foot wave is expected to move onto Japan at by 8 p.m. Hawaii time, officials said. If it is not a large wave, Hawaii officials may decide to lift the tsunami watch.

And 2 minutes ago -

Tsunami watch issued for Hawaii, Alaska

[edit on 13-1-2007 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Add California:

A tsunami advisory is in effect for the California coast and a warning has been issued for the coast of Hawaii and Alaska's Aleutian Islands after an 8.3 magnitude earthquake in the northern Pacific.

Greg Romano of the National Weather Service in Washington D.C. told KCBS, the fact that there is just an advisory means that we just need to monitor the situation and be aware that there is a potential for a tsunami."

"Basically a warning means that all coastal residents in a warning area near the beach or lower lying areas need to move away from all harbors and inlets. A watch means that all coastal residents should prepare for a possible evacuation," Romano added.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
You know, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach over this. I hope I wake up tomorrow and hear nothing happened.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll
You know, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm getting a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach over this. I hope I wake up tomorrow and hear nothing happened.

I'm hoping they're just being responsible and careful.

But maybe there's such good reason to expect something big that they couldn't not say anything.

Hard to tell when public policy is just about "herding," not helping, or even informing honestly.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Tsunami warning centers are now saying that the major threat to the region near the epicenter has passed and that no threat exists to the west coast of the U.S. mainland, Alaska, or British Columbia. Tsunami warnings appear to have been largely cancelled.

www.prh.noaa.gov...
wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov...

new topics

top topics

join