It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Attackers fire rocket at U.S. embassy in Athens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
this story is so new that the details are still coming in but apparently there has been an explosion inside the U.S. embassy in Athens, Greece

ATHENS, Greece — Reports of an explosion inside the U.S. Embassy in Athens, Greece.

"The causes of the noise at the embassy is being investigated," police said in a statement.

Eyewitnesses said an explosion had occurred inside the main embassy building, describing it as loud. Glass in nearby buildings was shattered by the blast shortly

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

we'll have to keep watching this story progress, should this turn out to be a terrorist action the U.S. response will be swift no doubt.

UPDATE:

ATHENS (Reuters) - Attackers fired a rocket at the U.S. embassy in Athens on Friday but no one was hurt, police and the U.S. embassy said.

Greek anti-terrorist officers were on the scene.

"This was a rocket attack launched from a building across the street. It landed inside a toilet on the third floor of the embassy," a senior police official told Reuters.

Attackers fire rocket at U.S. embassy in Athens

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Breaking News: Explosion inside U.S Embassy Compound in Athens

[edit on 11-1-2007 by the_sentinal]

[edit on 12-1-2007 by the_sentinal]

Mod Edit: Updated Title and Links

[edit on 1/12/07 by FredT]

[edit on 1/12/07 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Unless someone takes responsibility for this action, who/what will our actions be swift on? Strange how this happens inside of a Embassy which is usually secure especially in Greece which has had several terrorist bombings in the past, immediately after threats are made to Iran and Syria.

Bush makes mistakes about his choice of targets and now others will be made to pay the price. After this terrorist move we have taken on the Iranian diplomats and their embassy , Americans lives everywhere will be in jeopardy.

I still can't get over the fact that we actually raided an embassy of a foreign government and took hostages just like common terrorist thugs would do. Embarrassing.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Looks like some militant with an RPG killed an embassy toilet on the third floor.

At tackers fire rocket at US embassy in Athens Reuters Canada

Might be this militant group:
Revolutionary Organization 17 November Wiki

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I'm no munitions expert or anything but if the blast was strong enough to shatter the glass in the near by building's then that would seem a bit stronger than just an RPG or would it

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Imagine that!! An act of terrorism. I never cease to be shocked.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal
I'm no munitions expert or anything but if the blast was strong enough to shatter the glass in the near by building's then that would seem a bit stronger than just an RPG or would it?

Sounded like a RPG to me. BBC is indicating the same analogy.

Blast rocks US embassy in Athens BBC
Police said a small rocket-propelled grenade or similar device was fired into the front of the embassy.

The RShG-1 is based on the RPG-27 LAW (a more powerful evolution of the RPG-26), which fires a 105mm rocket based on the PG-7VR tandem warhead grenade (used in the RPG-7). The PG-7VR warhead, which has a punch equivalent to that of a 120mm high-explosive (HE) mortar or artillery shell, was actually developed in 1988. source

Originally posted by dgtempe
Imagine that!! An act of terrorism. I never cease to be shocked.

So when Al-Qaeda gets the blame, you will be twice as shocked!?

[edit on 12-1-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Regenmacher

I don't think Al-queda will get the blame. Im thinking more along the lines of Syria, Iran or maybe even Hizbollah will be getting blamed for this. Kind of convenient timing if you ask me.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
I still can't get over the fact that we actually raided an embassy of a foreign government and took hostages just like common terrorist thugs would do. Embarrassing.

I know I've been busy, but how did I miss this one?

What is this in reference to?

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I know I've been busy, but how did I miss this one?

What is this in reference to?

Iranian embassy in Iraq. We stormed the embassy and "detained" 6 Iranians

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I was just trying to be funny Pieman, while chuckling over DGTempe's sarcasm.

Although you raised a good point, considering the recent Presidential speech emphasized taking out terror networks linked to Syria/Iran and the CIA getting the green light.

CIA poised to take on Hezbollah The Age, Australia
CIA gets the go-ahead to take on Hizbollah CGGL.org, Lebanon
Hezbollah is a growing danger to US, intelligence chief says North County Times, CA

Could be a Gulf of Tonkin toilet attack too, ya never know...

Loam fyi: US forces storm Iranian consulate ATS

[edit on 12-1-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Statements like these made yesterday on the floor of our congress could have fueled such an attack.

former CIA Director James Woolsey reiterated his pessimism about chances for dialogue with Tehran. "I think the chance, quite frankly, of halting the Iranian regime's nuclear weapons program is about as close to zero as matters come in international relations," he said.

Woolsey asserts that the only course that may be left is to pursue a policy of regime change, a step Congress has not taken.

but it was probably just our troops storming their consulate that did it (if indeed it was Iran behind the attack)

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Ok... I did some quick checking...

This site speculates on the existence of some secret executive order that authorizes escalation of the situation with Iran and Syria.

Did Warmonger Bush Declare "Secret War" Against Syria and Iran?

Washington intelligence, military and foreign policy circles are abuzz today with speculation that the President, yesterday or in recent days, sent a secret Executive Order to the Secretary of Defense and to the Director of the CIA to launch military operations against Syria and Iran.

The President may have started a new secret, informal war against Syria and Iran without the consent of Congress or any broad discussion with the country.

More...

It continues by highlighting the President's statements in last nights speech:

Succeeding in Iraq also requires defending its territorial integrity and stabilizing the region in the face of extremist challenges. This begins with addressing Iran and Syria. These two regimes are allowing terrorists and insurgents to use their territory to move in and out of Iraq. Iran is providing material support for attacks on American troops. We will disrupt the attacks on our forces. We'll interrupt the flow of support from Iran and Syria. And we will seek out and destroy the networks providing advanced weaponry and training to our enemies in Iraq.

We're also taking other steps to bolster the security of Iraq and protect American interests in the Middle East. I recently ordered the deployment of an additional carrier strike group to the region. We will expand intelligence-sharing and deploy Patriot air defense systems to reassure our friends and allies. We will work with the governments of Turkey and Iraq to help them resolve problems along their border. And we will work with others to prevent Iran from gaining nuclear weapons and dominating the region.

The site then proceeds with the situation of the 6 Iranian diplomats that I asked about earlier in this thread.

But what I find most interesting about all of it is that just a few weeks ago, we had already detained two other Iranian diplomats found in Iraq:

Iranian diplomats arrested by US forces

26 December 2006

The Iraqi President, Jalal Talabani, has objected to the arrest by American forces in Iraq of two Iranian diplomats. US officials say that they were seized during raids against Iranians suspected of planning attacks on Iraqi security forces.

Iran said that the diplomats taken by the US military had been invited by the Iraqi government and warned that the move would "provoke unpleasant repercussions".

More...

It's starting to look like an escalation with Iran already occurred before today.

So now the question arises... Was the attack in Athens in retaliation to the events described above?

It appears to me that Iraq is becoming (if not all along) a proxy war between Iran and the United States.

EDIT:

In addition to his general blasting of the President, Keith Olbermann has some interesting comentary on the President's designs on Iran:

Keith's Special Comment

[edit on 12-1-2007 by loam]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   
They're saying it is an anti-tank shell, and the attack could possibly be from an extreme leftist group in Greece.

ATHENS, Greece - An anti-tank shell was fired at the U.S. Embassy early Friday, striking the front of the building but causing no injuries. A senior police official said the blast was an act of terrorism, raising fears of a resurgence of far-left Greek militant groups.

Source: news.yahoo.com

I'm not sure how anyone could fire a rocket without anyone noticing.

[edit on 12-1-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Apparently these guy's are the culprit's

"There are one or two telephone calls, from unknown callers, who claimed that the Revolutionary Struggle assumes responsibility," Polydoras said. "We cannot rule out that they were genuine."

has anyone ever heard of this group " Revolutionary Struggle " or is that a term used to cover several groups together.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Never heard of the buggers.

Why would a left-wing group attack the US? Surely their beef is with their home state? Attacking the US just tends to bring misery...

And Revolutionary Struggle against what? Or they just struggling?

I'm not sure how anyone could fire a rocket without anyone noticing.

Takes about 10 secs to fire an RPG, if that.

Pull up in a van, open side door, fire rocket, drive off.

It was in the middle of the night as well wasn't it?

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Im willing to bet the USA have bombed their own embassy to make it look like war is needed with Iran and Syria. Either that or Mossad have done it to get more USA support.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
This time the event has no connection to Al Quada or the other so called phantom groups. According to the news, two Greek group have took the responsibility for the attack. It seems, it is the retaliation for the yesterday U.S. raid against the Iranians.

It's the sure sign, that the people are not tolerating the U.S. military actions around the world.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Who are the revolutionary struggle?

www.tkb.org...

I think some people have finally had it with our corrupt systems, and they decided to become violent vigilanties. Ah well...

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher

Could be a Gulf of Tonkin toilet attack too, ya never know...

Yes, and now we'll see just how cleverly executed... when the 'official' story gets out, that is. Targeting the toilet took some real planning, eh? Let's see, get some fake ID and rent the apartment across the street. Someone on the inside had to tell them where the loos were located though. Unless...

It's absolutely disgusting, the hypocrisy of a nation fighting for ... what was it exactly? I forget... oh yea, Democracy. Hezbollah was elected fair and square and they just need to let them go about their business of their own government.

The meddling by the CIA and Pentagon (usual suspects) to boost the war machine profits is an evil we should all be aware of. That Israel is in the heart of it, isn't surprising one bit. Or where we have our nukes stashed.

My 2 bits.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   

pieman
I still can't get over the fact that we actually raided an embassy of a foreign government

It was not an embassy. It was not even a consulate.

It was an ""office of relations". The Iranians who were detained did not have diplomatic status.

Please try again.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join