It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i felt like i was being strangled in my bed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a few nights ago i awoke and i couldnt move my body i felt like i was being pushed down and i then suddenly felt panicy and i couldnt shout and then i felt like someone was strangiling me and also my eyes would not let me look in the corner of my room and i could just made out some type of moving shadow in the corner of my eye while i felt like i was being strangeled i couldnt see anything starngeling me only after as soon as it happened it was like i passed out from lack of breat as soon as i woke up i thought it was my imagination until i felt pain around my neck now i dont know if this is paranormal and normally i wouldnt post on the paranormal threads because im an atheist but this has really creeped me out even considering the fact it was in my own house and something like this has never happened before

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Sleep Paralysis

A common condition. I have it as well and i know how terrifying it can be. Until i found out what it was i barely slept at night fearing it would happen again.

You can get help to stop it.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It is called sleep paralysis or sometimes waking paralysis and is actually quite common. I've experianced it myself and what you described is exactly the same as what I went thru. It only happened to me once though and that was as a teen, many many years ago.

Hope this helps,

wupy

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I have heard of many cases much like your own. You are not alone. Don't worry about it. I think it is great you came forward with it. The important thing is that you are aware of it. Now you can do something about it. Great post!

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
i have haeard of sleep paralys and thats what i thought it was at first as i am a man of science but it doesnt explain why my neck was hurting afterwards and alos the starnge shadow thing i saw appear and then dissapear in to thin air but im guessing that might have just been my mind playing tricks on me it was quite a starnge experience

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr cryptoman
i have haeard of sleep paralys and thats what i thought it was at first as i am a man of science but it doesnt explain why my neck was hurting afterwards and alos the starnge shadow thing i saw appear and then dissapear in to thin air but im guessing that might have just been my mind playing tricks on me it was quite a starnge experience

It actually does explain both
You described the typical SP experience down to the wire.

Sufferers 'wake up' to feel an intense downward force, for you it was on your neck, and are unable to move. They sometimes see bright lights (accounts for alot of abduction cases), shadow people or more solid entities. It is just a very vivid dream with a physical side.

The fact that you woke up with a sore neck only goes to show how much you must have struggled. I put my shoulder out one night in SP fighting against certain little gray people with big eyes

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
good job your experience wasnt mine cuz im a firm beleiver of alot of ufo and abductee reports so that would really freak me out

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
This happened to me about 12 years ago and lasted a few months.

It is called Sleep Paralysis. I read that it can happen when you are stressed, I was when it was happening to me. I have been way more stressed since it stopped and have never had an episode since. So I am not convinced that it is stress related.

There is a lot of info on the net regarding this very interesting but frightening condition.

It is also known as Old Hag Syndrome and is believed to be linked back to Lilith (a moon goddess ?) and perhaps Incubus and Succubis.

It also is recorded in just about every culture.

Happy reading

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr cryptoman
good job your experience wasnt mine cuz im a firm beleiver of alot of ufo and abductee reports so that would really freak me out

Yup, my 'abductions' led me to be interested in the topic... which led me to find out it was all a product of SP.

SP is the 2nd most frightening thing I've ever felt... the worst... well thats another story

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Just wanted to add...

The last time this happened to me, I could not move and my husband could hear my freaking out and tried to roll over from his stomach. He said he felt like someone or thing was pinning him down and he could not move to help me.

My husband is NOT a stomach sleeper and he does not believe in anything paranormal but to this day he says it was the most frightening thing he has ever experienced, and can not offer any explanation.

I think it is a paranormal experience and not a stress or neurological disorder. When we got a buyer for our house...it all stopped.

[edit on 11-1-2007 by resistancia]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   
In my Sp incident it was summertime and I was around 16 years old. My father, brother and myself were sleeping on the screened in back porch of our house. It was around three in the morning when I awoke and I knew something was in the room. I couldn't move but I could see a being on the other side of my brothers bed. It came around his bed and moved towards me and I was trying to jump up or yell and I couldn't. It began choking me and I couldn't breathe and I was struggling to get away or wake my dad or brother or just stop what was happening....

Then I shot straight up in bed and screamed at the top of my lungs and woke everyone in the house up

I told everyone it was just a bad dream and eventually they all went back to bed, but i didn't go back to sleep for the rest of that night.

For years I honestly believed something had come into that room and attacked me. I was scared for a very long time.

Then I learned about SP and it explained exactlywhat had happened.

It is still one of the scariest things I have ever gone thru.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Sleep paralysis usually involves the inability to move. As far as I know, strangulation is not a part of the sleep paralyisis condition. That part suggests some additional element in your experience. I hope you are not one of those people who have been doing Alien Agenda's exercises.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
my experience began out of the blue...

I would wake with pressure on my chest and I could see a black shape (even in the dark the shape was very visible, a more intense black ?) over me, straddling me, and the feeling of hands around my neck. When I would start to fight it (I could not scream...maybe frozen I don't know) the feeling would ease and I would see the shape disintegrate before my eyes.

If i went to bed before my husband I would leave the door open with the hall light on, I knew I was safe with the light on.

The last time it came was whne m husband could not move. The next night whilst lying awake in the dark I see a small child (I thought it was my youngest boy) and I said "what's up matey, are you ok ? " The little child then disintegrated before my eyes and I became quite hysterical. I took that a sign that my youngest was going to die, or get sick. He is Ok and is now 20 years old.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The explanation for sleep paralysis is that when you go into REM sleep (dreaming) your mind actually disconnects from your body so that your body doesn't try and act out the dreams your mind is experiancing.

In SP your mind wakes up before it has had time to reconnect to your body, therefore you experiance the paralysis. The feeling that someone is in the room and pressure on your chest etc etc etc are all common events experianced by ALL humans being from every part of the planet.

I read several years ago that some researchers believe people, especially teens, have died while experiancing SP. I can't back that up since I read it years ago, but I just thought i'd toss it into the mix.

Perhaps there is more to it than meets the eye or what the doctors and researchers can explain away. I watched a news segment on the subject about a firehouse in Hawii (sp) where the firemen experianced the event allot even though they had never experianced it outside the firehouse. It seemed to be a localized event that occurred too often to be just a coincidence.

Still, it's a very strange and frightening phenomenon.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Iv noticed alot of the comments on this page talk about sleep paralysis as an answer to your situation... although I could agree with the concept I dont believe science has actually solved anything... like most cases they place a list of symptoms and then classify it... then people turn around and are labelled... maybe as a society we jump to conclusions because there is a great deal about our world we know basically nothing about, so perhaps the idea of sleep paralysis is just that... something we cant quite explain other than reading off experiences and symptoms... and if someone would like to argue this just remember... it wasnt very long ago people once argued rather violently over how the earth was flat... we havent even scratched the surface... so perhaps it is just that... some sort of entity that would reside within another dimension that is able to phase between certain points... it has some sort of tie to you... the theory of multiple dimensions is nothing new... most of our greatest minds have spoke on the topic before such as Einstein or Stephen Hawking... but either way there are ways of solving this issue...

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
newage,

I agree that there maybe more to the phenonmenon of sleep paralysis.

hoping to find out more one day

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I too have heard that events relating to sleep paralysis are highly localized. I can't remember exactly where, but someplace in the Southern United States, there is an Inn where there were multiple accounts of sleep paralysis. The strangest part about it is that every single time it occured, the people always tell of a witch. And it always happened in the same room. There were several other accounts which deal with the subject (having seen this on a documentary) that express the issue of locale. Resistancia, the location of your previous house could theoretically be to blame, but, who knows. This whole subject is quite frightening, honostly.

It is commonly referred to there as "the witch riding your back."

And newage2012, to address your comment. You've probably heard about the supposed Morgellon's disease. Its probable that these subjects are too complex to rationalize; to systemize them would be daunting. Its been difficult to analyze such occurences as these, and even in their widespread cultural mention, they are usually just conjurations of the unknown: packaged, labelled, and sealed in the eyes of many.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   

when you go into REM sleep (dreaming) your mind actually disconnects from your body so that your body doesn't try and act out the dreams your mind is experiancing.

In SP your mind wakes up before it has had time to reconnect to your body, therefore you experiance the paralysis

That is exactly what i was going to say, and I think this perfectly explains the phenomona. I myself have had this happen, it usually happens to me about maybe 2-3 times a year. You can prove it is a natural thing by meditating powerfully, or when you are almost asleep try to wake up and jump out of bed... you cant. The reason for this is that our dreams are extremely powerful and feels like reality while we are experiencing them. if we were to act out our dreams while in bed we could possibly cause an accident to our body or die. It is the bodys NATURAL way of protecting itself is what i have concluded. I have tried deep meditation before (no i'm not a obsessive practioner) and I notice that connecting back with you physical body does take some time to make that adjustment. Same with when you are beginning to fall into a deep sleep and then try to wake up. is it because a ghost is preventing you from waking up?... or that your own body is trying to protect itself from falling out of bed and breaking your own neck? Just a strange part of evolution ... and a positive one. And yes when this happened to me.. i was scared as hell that something was holding me down and fought like hell to break free (whcih i did), but what i didnt realize at the time is that i wasnt fighting a ghost or alien, i was fighting my own body! Just my 2 cents.

[edit on 11-1-2007 by hiii_98]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
yea same thing use to happen away it would happen once every couple days or got for bout 3 months.but it only seemed to happem most on weekend. tell summer then it picked up.
the first time i could hear an feel everything but couldnt move an my eyes where closed.
i had strain on my body parts. but im pretty sure thats from my frantic ,"am i dead", tries to brings self back alive".
then id eventually just ease into relaxness an start to regain motion, a term my parent used was that i had a hag on my chest....being young i didnt understand this an got mad asking why did you help.

it seems i fixed it by sleeping more or earlier.. an almost seemed to be cause when i was in rem an my clock would go off or i would unconsiously hear something load. it would try to wake me .

but that could just be a theory cause i still regular dont get to sleep till 2 an often wake at 5 or so

[edit on 11-1-2007 by DalairTheGreat]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I think the originator of the topic knows exactly what happened. He holds the keys to what happened. We cannot assume for him what happened. This is the wrong way to go about things.

We must let him express what he "did" experience, not what we think he experienced.

Troy

<<   2  3 >>

join