It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid & Senseless Laws

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
A stupid law was in existence in the early 1900's in America was that when somebody came to an intersection and could not see in all directions, he was required to stop the car, get out, walk around and look to make sure he was safe. This law is actually *THE* textbook "stupid law" that is in every first year law school students textbook.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   
It is illegal to tie a giraffe to a tellephone pole in Atlanta on Sunday. :bnghd:

[edit on 8-1-2007 by Ford Farmer]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It's true. They only allow it on Monday through Saturday.

I can't remember reading this from, but in an East Asian country, the alleged criminal is supposed to reenact the crime at the crime scene in front of the police. A TV show showed a robber going back to the store and re-enacting him stabbing the store owner (with a real knife too).

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Some stupid laws from Canada.

You may not pay for a fifty-cent item with only pennies.

If you are released from prison, it is required that you are given a handgun with bullets and a horse, so you can ride out of town.

I really want to see someone demand this one day.

The color of house and garage doors is regulated by city bylaws (a purple door get you a fine).

www.dumblaws.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ford Farmer
It is illegal to tie a giraffe to a tellephone pole in Atlanta on Sunday. :bnghd:

[edit on 8-1-2007 by Ford Farmer]

LOL but seriously folks these laws were put on the books for a reason once upon a time. So what this means for the above law is that at some point some moron in Atlanta tied his giraffe to a telephone pole and it caused some serious problem. LOL!!

Anyway, I cant understand why they are still on the books. Especially since they get som much attention. Ive seen posts about this on various sites, newspapaers, and tv shows for years.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by kokoro
So what this means for the above law is that at some point some moron in Atlanta tied his giraffe to a telephone pole and it caused some serious problem.

Yes, but he tied it on a Sunday. I think it's common sense to never tie one on a Sunday of all days, to a telephone pole

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Wow my state has some dumb laws.

Colorado Springs:
It is permissable to wear a holstered six-gun within city limits, except on Sunday, Election Day, or holidays.

Cripple Creek:
It is illegal to bring your horse or pack mule above the ground floor of any building.

Denver:
It is unlawful to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door neighbor.:bnghd:
You may not drive a black car on Sundays.
It is illegal to mistreat rats in Denver, Colorado.

Logan County:
It is illegal for a man to kiss a woman while she is asleep.

Louisville:
Residents may not own chickens, but may own up to three turkeys.

Sterling:
Cats may not run loose without having been fit with a taillight. :shk:

Vail:
It is illegal to crash into obstacles on a ski slope.

Man we've got some stupid laws, lol.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slash
It is illegal to mistreat rats in Denver, Colorado.

Wait till I tell my friend about this! She loves her pet mice and rats and is always complaining how people mistreat them.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
[q]At a wake, mourners may eat no more than three sandwiches.[/q]

I have to say....this one is my favorite for Massachusetts!!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Just imagine being in a jail cell for that:

Prisoner 1: So what are you in here for?
Prisoner 2: I killed a man cause he looked at me weird. Why are you here?
Prisoner 1: Cause I uh...ate 3 sandwiches...please don't kill me!

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Heh, the whaling law gets me every time...

The thing that scares me is that you would think something had to have happened for such laws to be put into place...I wonder what.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Well I like silly laws - it's just too darn funny.

In Alaska it's an offense to push a live moose out of a moving plane. It's also illegal to wake a sleeping bear just to take his photograph.

Really, they had to make laws about pushing moose out of planes and waking sleeping bears - just to take it's picture!!

I guess that means it's alright to heave a dead moose out of a plane and wake a sleeping bear for a game of cribbage??

Long live the human race.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
These are from www.dumb.com/laws And yes these were and probably still are on the books here.

West Virginia

• According to the state constitution, it is unlawful for anyone to own a red or a black flag.
• Alderson: One may not walk a lion, tiger or leopard, even on a leash.
• Doctors and dentists may not place a woman under anesthesia unless a third person is present.
• Huntington: Firemen may not whistle or flirt at any woman passing a firehouse. It is legal to beat your wife so long as it is done in public on Sunday, on the courthouse steps.
• If you wear a hat inside a theater, you may be fined.
• In Alderson, West Virginia, it is illegal to walk a lion, tiger or leopard in the city limits, even it is on a leash.
• In Nicholas County, W. Va., no member of the clergy is allowed to tell jokes or humerous stories from the pulpit during a church service.
• In West Virginia, it is legal for one to take roadkill home for dinner
• It is illegal to put an ice cream cone in your pocket on Sundays.
• It is illegal to snooze on a train.
• It is illegal to spit on any sidewalk which women may walk down.
• It is legal for a male to have sex with an animal as long as it does not exceed 40 lbs.
• It is unlawful for chickens to lay eggs before 8AM and after 4PM.
• Nicholas County: No member of the clergy is allowed to tell jokes or humorous stories from the pulpit during a church service.
• No children may attend school with their breath smelling of "wild onions."
• Road Kill may be taken home for supper.
• When a railroad passes within 1 mile of a community of 100 or more people in it, they must build a station and stop there regularly to pick up and drop off passengers.
• Whistling underwater is prohibited.

[edit on 1/11/2007 by gimmefootball400]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I read a long time ago somewhere thta t is illegal to spit on sidewalks in some states. If only I could remember where.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDesigner
I read a long time ago somewhere thta t is illegal to spit on sidewalks in some states. If only I could remember where.

Yep I've heard that before, if I'm not mistaken, it's considered as littering. I think thats a law here in Colorado.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join