It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid & Senseless Laws

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Greetings and Salutations valued members.

The intentions of this thread is simply to share with members any and all Stupid & Senseless Laws that you may be aware of.

Here are some examples:

1) It is against the law to hunt or kill whales, in Oklahoma, which is a landlocked state, with no salt water, sea water, or ocean water.

2) Although it is legal to feed the birds in the parks in Las Vegas, it is illegal to feed the homeless people. *Perhaps this makes sense to others, understandably, but there seems to be some lacking moral/ethical undertones to the decision in my opinion.

So, if you are aware of any questionably stupid and senseless laws from your local, state, or federal government, please feel free to share.

Members are curious

* I have a book about this at home, but will have to dig it up. I'm not sure where it is, but it's jammed packed with dumb laws i'm sure will amuse people.

Thanks in advance for sharing,
john

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I remember one...something like...

It's illegal to have an ice cream cone in your pocket on Sunday in NY.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
For NY...

It is against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun.

Citizens may not greet each other by "putting one's thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers".

While riding in an elevator, one must talk to no one, and fold his hands while looking toward the door.

Really, those are laws

Heres a whole website on them for every state

www.dumblaws.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05

Heres a whole website on them for every state

www.dumblaws.com...

Thanks for sharing, and for the link enjoies05

I'm sure other members will find the link entertaining, to say the least.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Would you really get arrested for breaking those laws?

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Would you really get arrested for breaking those laws?

Oh, in some cases, like the feeding the homeless in the parks, i believe the first offense is only a fine of about $125, but i'm not sure about the fine $ amount.

Perhaps one would not necessarily be arrested, but merely have to pay a fine for a minor law being broken. Or, perhaps get community service for feeding the homeless? That would be slightly ironic, no?

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
So do you think if I got an ice cream cone today and put it in my pocket and went walking around I'd get in trouble?

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   

So do you think if I got an ice cream cone today and put it in my pocket and went walking around I'd get in trouble?

Honestly, I truly hope the police have better ways to spend their time while on duty than looking at people's waistlines and pockets trying to determine whether or not they have an ice cream cone in their pocket.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Ha, I hope so too.

I saw a thing on the news a while back though, where they (in NY) where..how do you say it?....making them not laws anymore? Term?

Anyway, I don't know what happened to that but I think they aren't true anymore.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I've read it is the law in some States to shower atleast once a year. ...Once?

What I wouldn't give to hear of someone being charged for this crime.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Alabama - "Putting salt on a railroad track may be punishable by death."

Thats a little...extreme? Don't you think?

Mississippi and South Carolina - A person must be eighteen years old to play a pinball machine.

[edit on 7/1/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Interesting thread ET.

My memory isn`t what it used to be,though i`ve seen on current affairs type shows many people suffering from laws that don't immediately spring to mind as ridiculous until you`ve been affected by them and then be shown that they are.

However the stupid obvious ones,i did a small search for Aussies examples and found some.

Stupid Laws - Australia vs. United Kingdom

Aussie

Children may not purchase cigarettes, but they may smoke them.

Taxi cabs are required to carry a bale of hay in the trunk.

Bars are required to stable, water and feed the horses of their patrons.

It is illegal to wear hot pink pants after midday Sunday.

You must have a neck to knee swimsuit in order to swim at Brighton Beach.

Until the Port Arthur Killings it was legal to own an AK-47 but not legal to be gay.

UK

I`ve heard this is an Aussie one as well,total discrimination to women i say

It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.

Excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.
:bnghd: surely not?

It is illegal to be a drunk in possession of a cow.

Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks (enacted by Edward VI).

Its very hard to have a speck of faith in man kind knowing how ridiculous we are and can be.

[edit on 7-1-2007 by gps777]

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Thanks for some "Down Under" laws that don't make much sense.

It gave me some laughs, especially this one:

It is illegal to be a drunk in possession of a cow.

Does this mean if you possess or own a cow, you can't get drunk?

Or is it saying you can't stumble around in a drunken stuper with a cow?

weird, but for some peculiar reason, i believe you are not lying.

Thanks gps777 for sharing,
john

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I can't believe this law for Florida!!!

In Florida, any form of sexual contact other than missionary position is a misdemeanor. (This is still a law. There have been several cases of people being brought up on these charges in the past 5 years alone. If the police enter a home with a warrant for some other crime and catch the 'culprits' in action, they can, and are, brought up on those charges.)

A lot different in New Mexico

It's legal for couples to have sex in a parked vehicle during their lunch break from work, as long as the car or van has drawn curtains to stop strangers from peeking in New Mexico.

Found a couple of silly Canuckistan laws.

n Canada, It is illegal for a teen to walk down main street for Fort Qu'Appelle with their shoes untied.

In Canada, It is illegal to leave your horse in front of the Country Squire without hitching it securely to the hitching post.

www.skrause.org...

It really is amazing how silly so many laws are. Maybe the stupid laws don't reveal how stupid mankind is but how right Socrates was about following higher conscience over the law when the law is incorrect. That higher conscience is probably why we're all still here and not because of the long annuls of social controls reflected by legislation.

[edit on 7-1-2007 by clearwater]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I must say ClearWater as funny as those all are, the Aussie and UK (I live in the UK) ones do sound like their from the 17/18 century...
But they may not have been taken away

I have found some more though:

Liverpool Laws

It is illegal for a woman to be topless in public except as a clerk in a tropical fish store.

I think this is UK, not sure:

Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

Not sure how true this is:

In Emporia, Kansas, a woman may not drive a car unless a man follows behind her car shooting up red warning rockets.

You can find these and more on this forum site:

invisionpower.com

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 02:23 AM
link   
In Georgia:

It is illegal to use profanity in front of a dead body which lies in a funeral home or in a coroners office.

Donkeys may not be kept in bathtubs.

No one may carry an ice cream cone in their back pocket if it is Sunday.

(In Ackworth city):
All citizens must own a rake.

(In Athens):
If you want to read your favorite book in public to your friends, do it before 2:45 AM.

Goldfish may not be given away to entice someone to enter a game of bingo.

On Mondays, it is illegal for one to whistle very loud after 11:00 PM.

(in Atlanta):

Against the law to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or street lamp.

One man may not be on another man's back.

(in Columbus):

Cussing over the telephone is against the law.

Crosses may be burned on someone else’s property, so long as you have their permission. (racist one)

All Indians must return to their shore of the Chattohoochee River by nightfall. (another racist one)

(in Jonesboro):
It is illegal to say "Oh, Boy.

(in Quitman):
It is illegal for a chicken to cross the road. (Ha! Are they going to arrest the chicken?)

Source: www.dumblaws.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah

Source: www.dumblaws.com...

Thats quite a link DJ,even has an internation link.

Dumb Laws in Switzerland

Clothes may not be hung to dry on Sunday.

You may not wash your car on a Sunday.

It is considered an offense to mow your lawn on a Sunday, because it causes too much noise.

Maybe there is an influx of traffic on ATS from Switzerland on Sundays?

It is illegal to flush the toilet after 10 P.

Pewwww,wonder if your still allowed to fart though?

A man may not relieve himself while standing up, after 10 P.

Ummmmmm relieve?best leave that alone huh?

Though it is illegal to produce, store, sell and trade absinth (special alcohol), it is legal to consume it.

It is required that every car with snow tires has to have a sticker on its dashboard which tells that the driver should not drive faster than 160 km/h with these tires.

If you forget you car-keys inside the car and you leave the car open, you will be punished.

Yes one must remember when forgeting keys in the car to lock up tight.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Is that an ice-cream cone in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
Thats quite a link DJ,even has an internation link.

Thanks, but the credit goes to enjoies05 for posting it first.

The one with the car keys is quite odd.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Well DJ i must have overlooked enjoies05 post so good on you both.

Dumb Laws in Singapore

If you are convicted of littering three times, you will have to clean the streets on Sundays with a bib on saying, "I am a litterer.

I can only imagine a foreigners bib that says "I`m Swiss with nothing better to do on Sundays"

It is illegal to pee in an elevator.

If ones claustrophobic and only rides the escalator is that ok?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join