I have started this thread in an attempt to organize certain terms and their meanings which often appear in survival discussion.
This thread was created because I, being new to these concepts and ideas, often found myself overwhelmed/frustrated by the amount of commonly used
words for which I did not know the meaning. I am hoping that others like me can use this thread as a place to quickly find the definition of terms
that they do not understand.
I am aware that some of the terms listed are common sense but, since they are often in survival discussion, I have listed them here.
– A ‘BOB’ (or Bug Out Bag), from what I have gathered, is a bag or sack which contains the basics for a few days survival. It is
something which can be grabbed on the run and used until other supplies can be located.
– Bugging Out is, once again from what I have gathered, the act of leaving. You have, for whatever reason, decided that
staying is not the best option –or an option at all. It is at this point that you set out to/search for a secondary location.
– Another type of BOB. According to Terapin the AWOL bag is intended to hold more equipment.
– A small device which can be fitted easily into any BOB. It is a tool which consists of many parts serving many different
functions. It is usually a bit larger then a Swiss Army Knife and the parts usually fold into the handle.
For a comparative look at multi tools, and what they can contain, please follow this link:
Magnesium Fire Starter and Flint
– A tool that is usually packaged as one object. You scrape magnesium shavings into a small pile with your
knife and then scrape the sparking rod (flint) with your knife. The sparks should, eventually, light the magnesium and you have the startings to your
best friend: fire.
Katadyn Water Filter
– First off, I use the Katadyn filter as an example because from, what I have gathered, it seems to be one of the best.
A water filter, Katadyn or not, is exactly what the name implies: A device by which to filter potentially dirty water into clean drinkable water.
As a side note: I do not know much about this but I would assume that it would be safe to first boil the water they intend to filter…not every
product is perfect and just because it looks clean does not always make it as such.
Compound, Traditional or Cross Bow
post is great for links that
pertain to specific bows. Thanks to Terapin for the post and making my job a little easier.
A rifle is a firearm with a stock and a barrel that has a spiral groove or grooves ("rifling") cut into its interior. The rifling produces
"lands," areas that make contact with the projectile (usually a bullet), imparting spin around an axis corresponding to the orientation of the
weapon. When the projectile leaves the barrel, the conservation of angular momentum improves its accuracy and range, in the same way that a properly
thrown American football or rugby ball behaves. The word "rifle" originally referred to the grooving, and a rifle was called a "rifled gun."
For an in depth view of the different types of rifles please see this link: Rifles
– A hand gun, or pistol, is a small gun which is intended to be easily concealable and can be fired using one hand. Less range and,
usually, stopping power then a rifle.
For more information on hand guns please see this link: Hand Guns
– Vacuum sealing is a way in which perishable and nonperishable items can be stored. Usually the resulting seal is water tight
to a certain degree and the lack of oxygen within the seal allows for perishable items to stay ‘fresh’ longer.
Types of Traps
– Snares and traps are used for hunting wild animals. These animals are hunted in the survival situation as a source of food
and, if one so chooses, as a source of clothing/tools.
For information on various snares/traps please see provided links:
– A medpack is a supply of first aid equipment. Ones medpack should contain items which they are fully capable and qualified to use.
It is because of this that medical emergency training to varying degrees is advised and encouraged. With more knowledge your medpack can grow.
A good source of information regarding medpacks can be found on this existing thread:
Like I have said: I am new to these terms and meanings. I ask and encourage those more learned in this subject matter to correct/add to this
Thank you and enjoy.
EDIT: Added to 'BOB' and fixed 'AWOL Bag'.
[edit on 1/5/0707 by spines]