It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your eyes, ears, and your cell phone!!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I went to work last night and a good friend of mine (We call him Jimbo) walked by and said hay I get to go to the dungeon. I said awesome man try not to be too board. He laughed and assured me he wont because he is rebuilding the Kamatsus 150 ton press. Jimbo preceded to the dungeon.

Now the dungeon is actually a smaller building my company owns it was the original factory until they out grew it. We keep several working presses that were to big to move in there but mostly its storage. Its very dark and has no windows to the outside hence the name the dungeon. Well come break time Jimbo Didn't show up to sit with me like he has for almost two years. I got to wondering so I grabbed my sandwich and headed to the dungeon to see if I could give Jimbo a hand. First thing I noticed when I walked in was the place was dark. Its gets pitch black in there. I thought thats kinda odd because the emergency lights were hardly on. Most were out but a few had a dull glow that didn't shed any light. Second thing I noticed was a foul smell of burnt wire. Many of you will know what ime talking about. I Grabbed my LED light out of my pocket and started to call. I called his name three times as I made my way back to the Press area. As I got closer I heard a noise. I called again. Jimbo answered by screaming help. (Ime still shaking as I type this) I ran to him he was huddled up in a ball clutching his cell phone to him. I shined my light on his face and got the shock of a life time.

The Transformer that powered the 150 as we call it had exploded while jimbo had been looking over the small protective barrier we have around our transformers. His face and mainly his eyes had taken the brunt of it his body was mostly protected. Jimbo kept repeating it wont dial. Finally as I used my cell phone to call for help jimbo gave me the storey. He was hard to hear thow his ears were ringing so badly he couldn't hear himself. one minute he was screaming the next he was whispering. After the transformer blew he was knocked unconscious he wasn't sure how long he laid there. When he woke up and couldnt see and could hardly hear he grabbed his cell phone to try and call for help because nobody but Jimbo really goes to the dungeon. The big problem was he count dial 911 on his cell phone. He couldn't remember the layout of the keys. To top it off his phone was almost dead when he got to work and the batteries finished dying while he tried to dial.

I relate this story to you because it occurred to me as survivalist witch Jimbo is thats why we sit together. He should have foreseen or been ready for the loss of site. It tought me and my family a lesson we will memorize our keyboards on our cell phones so we can dial buy feel if it becomes necessary. I will also not be leaving the house from now on with a dead battery.

The emergency light gave me a good clue how long jimbo had laid there. They are good for 1 hour 30 minutes most were dead. they are tested monthly so We know all the batteries were good.

It goes back to what I tell my family large scale destruction is only a small part of survival you need to be ready for the every day disasters.

On a good note they were able to save one of Jimbos eyes he is already regaining site in it. and his hearing is expected to come completly back. he will carry the scars on his face forever. We are calling in experts to figure out why that trasnformer blew. So in closing I erge all of you to memorise your cell phone keys it may save your life.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Very sorry to hear of this accident involving your friend. Excellent thought on memorizing your cell phone keyboard.

I believe on many phones the key #5 is accented..or identified in the middle of the key pile by a slightly raised surface compared to the other keys. It is so on this keyboard here for this computer. Phones are the same thing as are remote controllers. Notice J and F keys on the main keyboard are the same as a fixed reference point.

Very sorry about your friend.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

I believe on many phones the key #5 is accented..or identified in the middle of the key pile by a slightly raised surface compared to the other keys. It is so on this keyboard here for this computer. Phones are the same thing as are remote controllers. Notice J and F keys on the main keyboard are the same as a fixed reference point.

Very sorry about your friend.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Good call Tom hadnt noticed that about the cell phone. I knuw about the keyboard but just never paid attention to the cell phone thanks for the heads up. I'll feel a little better when I know why it exploded.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I too am sorry to hear of your friends accident, and wish him a speedy recovery. We just got lone person workign alarms installed at my workplace and i fully intened to never use them, but you just never know.

Looking arround the room right now i see alot of things with buttons on have the a small bump on the middle button, or a button that you easily use as a referance point. We got taught in school how to dial 999 with your eyes shut so i knew about the phone a long time ago.

A good idea would be to keep important numbers on speed dial.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I fell really bad for your friends accident its always the good guys who get hurt... I wish him a speedy recovery and thank god he has friends like you who are there for him. Yes we all should learn the keyboard by memory... Though I propose maybe a buddy system or something like could be equally benefiten

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I hope your friend is still recovering well as can be expected. Thank goodness he let you know where he was going!

Thanks for telling about the dot on the 5. I guess I knew about it but never thought why it was there. I have already looked at my cell phone and practiced finding the dot and locating where 9 and 1 will be. I plan on telling everyone I know about this. If one person is saved from this thread it would be wonderful.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
All the best to your bud, sorry to hear that.

I've allways know I have a relativetly rare eye condition since mid teens, turns out mine is about the mildest version - my corneas will not split and fall off!! (still wondering if i just had a few sadistic student eye doctors as a kid) Any who, loosing my eyesight before time has allways been in the back of my mind.

I have allways done a few things that may be revelent here - such as juggling, good cordination etc, riding m/bikes in traffic really shrpens up your periferial vision, comiting room layouts to memory (but not trying to hard cos when you need to remember hard you usually get it wrong) and all other things like counting change without removing it from pocket or working 'blind' on engines etc puts fine feel into your fingertips. All good cos you never know when all the lights are gonna go out, or disaster strikes, also good when tring to give up smoking!

I'm saying all this, any one who knows me still tinks im clumsley - but i'm usually board and playing with stuff
p.s juggling very good exercise with 900 gram balls!

Peace

top topics

join