It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flint or Lighter?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
You should always carry at least 2 means of fire starting with you. I prefer magnesium fire starter and jet lighters but I always carry flint and steel as well on me. Another great long lasting fire starter are welders strikers .

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Fire is perhaps mans most useful and important tool. While there are many ways of making fire I am a bit surprised that no one has mentioned the Fire Piston.

Matches and lighters are fine so long as you have them and they are not wet, etc. Flint works great as does a striker and magnesium block. Friction methods take a bit of practice, but generally do the job after some effort. A Fire Piston will get you going in about 30 seconds with little effort.

The Fire Piston has been around for ages and was common until matches showed up on the scene. It uses the same principle as the Diesel engine, where temperature rises as gas is compressed. They are not that difficult to make, easier to use, last a very long time, and can get you glowing tinder in seconds. Combine a Fire Piston with some Tinder fungus and you cant fail.

Wilderness Survival, Fire Pistons

Ancient Firemaking Machine

Tinder Fungus

I have carried one for years and it has never let me down.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
Fire is perhaps mans most useful and important tool. While there are many ways of making fire I am a bit surprised that no one has mentioned the Fire Piston.

you learn something new every day....i have never heard of that, terapin, and i've been hiking and camping since i was knee high to a grasshopper. thanks for that piece of info...i'm gonna have to try that out!

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If you are putting a flint in a survival kit or something like that I suggest you also put some dryer lint in with it in a water sealed bag. That stuff lights up very easily (when it's dry of course). That would help you alot if you had to start a fire.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
heh once again, great minds.....I posted about lint as wicking as well in the other thread a little while ago.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
In my kit I like to have a ziplock bag with vasoline cottonballs, best all weather fire cheats I've ever used. Easy to light with anything and burn in wet conditions.

Terapin,

Thanks for the fire piston! Very nice!

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
If you are putting a flint in a survival kit or something like that I suggest you also put some dryer lint in with it in a water sealed bag. That stuff lights up very easily (when it's dry of course). That would help you alot if you had to start a fire.

Steel wool also works very very well. One small spark is all it takes.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght
swedish fire steel

I'm suprised nobody else has mentioned this. Works beautifully, even in the rain, and a whole camping season results in hardly any wear. Highly recommended.

Firesteel Knife at ThinkGeek

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Also, using cotton lint you can catch a spark from a dead lighter, i can get dryer lint to catch with a dead lighter just fine. Right now i got one lighter lft that's almost out, i need to restock this weekend, but i always keep lots of strike anywhere matches waterproofed with clear nail polish in my bag.For about $2 and a bit of time i can make 100+ waterproof strike anywhere matches.

I usually use my lighter but once in a while i'll pull out a waterproof match and use it just to make sure they're still good.

I need to get a block and a firesteel, they've been on my list for a while but i haven't come across any in the stores yet.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Yeah, the dryer lint lights up pretty easily, as others said. Depending where you live, the paper-like bark of a birch tree works reasonably well, too. I'm not sure where birch trees are, but we've got a bunch where I live, so that's why I know that.

No one that I noticed on this thread mentioned it, but a flint is a lot harder to wreck or break. With a lighter, you can accidentally break it or something and lose the fluid. I'm not sure how many uses a flint has compared to a lighter, but I'm betting it's a heck of a lot more. I have a flint back from boy scouts when I was a kid, and it still kinda works, but it doesn't really throw that many sparks, anymore. (probably because I used to play with it all the time :p)

A flint is probably harder to start a fire with, though; might be an idea to practice and light a little fire or two, rather than find out during crunch time that you don't know how to do it. It would sure suck to freeze to death in winter with a flint/steel in your hand because you couldn't get the fire going...

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I found some great looking fire pistons made of buffalo horn from this site and it looks like they would last a lifetime or two.
www.wildersol.com...

[edit on 5-1-2007 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Jan, 23 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
as a member of the local sheriff's search and rescue team we are requried to carry 2 methods of fire starting with us in the field. we are also required to demonstrate starting a fire whit nothing but a wet stick (about 2-3 inches in dia and not rotten if you bend it and it dose not break it ok.)
the main thig about starting a fire in survival situations is having started fires many fires before you get in a situation where it is critical. one good and cheap thing to carry is a film canister with vasilne soaked cotten balls this is one of the best and fastes tinder items you can get. i like the blast match a flint(ferrocerium) fire starter and a good old zippo with an extra fule bottle( they sell a single refill bottle about the size of a chap stick.) so what ever your methods the key is pratice it till you have it down then keep in pratice. r-18

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
On a personal note,
In my BOB ( bug out bag ) and my belt I carry, 2 fire steels, 1 steel and magnesium block, wind / water proof matches and several clipper lighters.
All have there uses and take up very little room in my BOB and belt kit.
This may seem excessive but again because they take up very little room and very little weight, I would rather have the extra's.

My EDC ( Every Day Carry ) I have one tube of wind proof matches and a clipper lighter.

So answer to your question OP, Both ! with extra !!!

[edit on 6-1-2009 by colec156]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by colec156
On a personal note,
In my BOB ( bug out bag ) and my belt I carry, 2 fire steels, 1 steel and magnesium block, wind / water proof matches and several clipper lighters.
All have there uses and take up very little room in my BOB and belt kit.
This may seem excessive but again because they take up very little room and very little weight, I would rather have the extra's.

My EDC ( Every Day Carry ) I have one tube of wind proof matches and a clipper lighter.

So answer to your question OP, Both ! with extra !!!

[edit on 6-1-2009 by colec156]

I have butane lighters and micro torches, flint and steel with Magnesium block, and I often use Pottasium Permanganate crystals from my FAK with a drop of antifreeze to get really troublesome fires going.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
In this respect I think stopping smoking was the best/worst thing I could have done.

No longer do I feel the need to carry a lighter so I could get caught out. The positive side is I currently have a dozen or so disposable lighters kicking around with no sign of being used any time soon. Swedish Army steel in my BOB along with a couple of the above mentioned.

Oh, a couple of flint rocks in my company van along with the cigarette lighter...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join